IGNORED

Ricardo Villalobos says he combines Autechre with house so everybody understands it

o00o

he also says "overproduced" music as he calls it can only be coped with when you are female

drum n bass is only for kids playing playstation that can do 3 things at the same time

all in the new groove magazine interview

discuss

Q: Your vision of a new club is also connected with new music. do producers currently make use of all possibities of electronic music?

RV: You could do much more. Autechre have used the possibilities like noone else. They are for me true big heros of modern music. But you need much power to cope and understand this. You are blown away by the possibities and their phantasy.

Q: How do you try to solve this problem?

RV: My concept is to just take a part of this and to put this in a suiting context that is of course very traditional. House is very dogmatic and neary unchangeable. In this way you can trick people in a clever way. You can give people a beat they know and a melody they would switch away in the radio. Suddenly something very strange happens with them and they start to like it in some way in that context

he admits to ripp of autechre and just put a technobeat to it :pinch:

Guest earlgrey

I love Push Button Objects' "dirty dozen" (consisting of two previously EPs, iirc?) for what sounds to me like "applied autechre", emphasising the dirty minimal head-nodding hip-hop aspects implied in mid-period ae.

(i guess BOC'S MHTRTC does also)

Guest elektroplast

Can't say I hear any Autechre influences in his music. Villalobos is pretty good though; one of very few minimal techno producers that doesn't bore me to death.

that's really interesting that he respects Ae so much ... some of his recent releases (what's wrong my friends, achso, aspects of fabric 36) have sounded a lot like late-period Ae, untilted especially

don't diss villalobos, he's is quite good. and the autechre thing is understandable if you ever payed attention to some of it's music. it's abstract stuff that evolves very slowly, sounds familiar? i've even compared him to autechre before this interview, nice to see that once again, i was right.

Archived