IGNORED

clark - turning dragon

Guest awkward

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Someone please tell me why this album is shit other than "lol Clark is loud."

I've wondered the same thing. I didn't really like body riddle but This album really suits itself. The overcompressed style is nice in this case. It makes me appreciate body riddle more, but I still like this better.

I like the album, don't like every track on it, but it's okay. He sounds a bit too much like Jackson and his Computer Band at times though (Truncation Horn, I hate that one).

The ending of New Year Storm is remniscent of his previous albums, that reverb-ish, nostalgic sound, I always like it.

i think if he released the exact counterpoint to this record, it would kill. i thought i remember reading that he wrote almost 2 records at once because what he was working on had 2 very contrasting styles. i would love to hear that other stuff as turning dragon is the only thing he has released that disappointed me.

Body Riddle is that other album.

it is? hmm. maybe i was wrong, i thought he had said since body riddle he wanted to explore the dancefloor thing and push the body riddle style much further. maybe im remembering wrong. either way, i dont think he should wait very long for the follow up to dragon because it sucks in comparison to everything he has done. his next record hopefully makes this sound like a small hiccup rather than than vomit on your naked lap

Was it working as a DJ that inspired you to create an album suitable for clubs?

I haven’t really deejayed at all, I’ve been playing live and a lot of it was written, yes, for live shows, but it just seemed to work to have a more dance floor bit to keep my interest up more than anything. I started writing new stuff alongside Body Riddle, that was in that realm, but when I finished Body Riddle I started more live stuff that isn’t on Turning Dragon, but that is going to take longer to finish off. It’s just kind of like an interim album between that and the next sort of stuff on from Body Riddle. In a way it’s sort of a companion piece to body riddle as well, just because of the artwork mainly – the font is the same obviously, I feel that it really linked the two and I just thought this has to be released as an album, it wouldn’t work as a series of twelves.

http://www.barcodezine.com/Chris%20Clark%20Interview.htm

i would be all over this shit if the rest of the album was half as good as penultimate persian. i think i've said this in so many words like 2 or 3 times now in this thread but i'm too lazy to check.

penultimate is def the best, and its also the least 'dancy' of the tracks. this is all too techno-y for me, but i still give it a go every once in awhile. what is he waiting for though? bring it on man. i thought he had the most potential of anyone these days and i want to see whats next before i write him off too.

that whole ceramics ep is dope.

• 1 month later...
i love his production skills

the way he introduces new sounds and changes the direction of his tracks

amazing stuff

hi clark

I'm not him

• 1 month later...
Empty the bones of you is really my favourite as well... Clarence park seems a bit old to me now, appart from the piano parts... But everything was great in empty the bones of you, from the cover, to the tracks names...

Body Riddle was good as well, but I don't listen to it that much...

And for Turning Dragon, I don't really know why you're all bashing it ( well,not every single of you) it's just a compilation of random more dancefloor friendly tracks he did these last years. It has a great album cover, the clark sound ( even if it's overcompressed) and there's some great tracks there. Violenl, For Wolves crew, truncation horn, Penultimate Persian....

I'm just really happy to have this, I should get it on vinil tomorow, I'll see if the compression and stuff is the same...

But still, it's really good to have new tracks from him, I think. Enought to wait for the next album...

Don't get me wrong - I was grinning ear to ear when I heard the first track (which I listened all the way through), but as I sampled more and more of the tracks randomly, they all sounded the same - perhaps a full listen through will yield a different opinion.

I need to go check my mail to see if this has come yet.

Empty the Bones of You might have been my favorite if it didn't have Gob Coitus and the Sun Too Slow. Actually, in general I think the last four tracks are weaker than the rest of the album which is very very good.

I think Body Riddle is his best because I think it flows best and is the most cohesive and defined. Even though I think that many of the tracks on ETBOY are stronger than those on Body Riddle.

I really like a few tracks on Clarence Park, but all in all, it doesn't feel like an album and it is more of a young Clark trying to create what is now a very unique style. But Diesel Raven and Proper Lofi are the buisness.

100% agree on ETBOY's last 4 tracks - I thought it should have ended with 'Farewell Track'...

i realize im a complete jazzband on this but what the fuck! gob coitus and sun too slow are like the best tunes hes ever written. jesus. music is fucking weird. or i am.

i realize im a complete jazzband on this but what the fuck! gob coitus and sun too slow are like the best tunes hes ever written. jesus. music is fucking weird. or i am.

i agree

Guest Renivatio
jules,

I encourage you to read the several sections (and subsections) in the rules that specifically address this sort of quoting underperformance

Regards,

Bob

pwn.

Archived