IGNORED

Now Reading

Guest The Vidiot

Oprah told me to read One Hundred Years of Solitude... so of course I didn't.

Actually her book club is quite good, it's a nice balance of important intellectual novels and more mainstream stuff.

I mean she is actually telling American plain people to read GGM's Love in the Time of Cholera or Ken Follett's Pillar of Earth or East of Eden instead of Da Vinci code crapolas or Twilight

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dese manz hatin

recently read Breakfast for Champions and Clockwork Orange

reading Kafkas Trial, good but not very captivating

i need something that results in:

what_the_fuck_am_i_reading_copy_142.jpg

suggestions?

House Of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewsi

Glamorama by Bret Easton Ellis

anything burroughs? or bob dylan's "tarantula"

books that don't make sense

yes

im going to read some hermann hesse next. what should i start with? steppenwolf?

Guest happycase

im going to read some hermann hesse next. what should i start with? steppenwolf?

I like this

Hermann+Hesse+Demian.jpg

My gf is reading Harry Potter to me before sleep. We're at book 5 now. It's awesome. Actually not awesome but you get the picture.

my mom never read books to me when I was really young :unsure:

just finishing..

baudolino.jpg

How does that compare with Eco's other works? I've read "The Name of the Rose" and "Foucault's Pendulum" (i think I preferred "Foucault's Pendulum, but it's a tough choice...).

Currently reading for the chen:

Barrington Moore: "Social Origins of Dictatorship and Democracy: Lord and Peasant in the Making of the Modern World"

i have crying of lot 49 sitting in my apartment

i'm looking for an enjoyable trip

should i read it?

i've never really read pynchon

i also have vineland

is it based around paranoia?

after having finished lot 49, i'd highly recommend it. great novel! he flows between scenes and voices with such ease!

Guest beatfanatic

just finished reading

florence%28book%29.jpg

wasnt too impressed with it. kinda lost interest in it halfway through but still finished it since I am a huge Rushdie fan.

I wouldnt recommend it though.

just finishing..

baudolino.jpg

How does that compare with Eco's other works? I've read "The Name of the Rose" and "Foucault's Pendulum" (i think I preferred "Foucault's Pendulum, but it's a tough choice...).

Currently reading for the chen:

Barrington Moore: "Social Origins of Dictatorship and Democracy: Lord and Peasant in the Making of the Modern World"

I've read both Foucault's Pendulum and The Name of the Rose as well, and I would say that Baudolino is my favorite of the three, though the narrative is a lot different than both, I think. The way events transpire and unfold is almost similar to a Terry Gilliam film. I wouldn't say that this is exactly why I like the story so much, but the approach came across as very fresh. You are bombarded with so much that it can feel very frantic (in a good way) at times, and you are sort of propelled through loads of historical events, religious time lines and mythological settings. Thumbs up from me.

Guest dese manz hatin

Just picked up Naked Lunch for cheap $. Does watmm think it's worth reading?

oh yes ive just finished it some days ago....as i put it somewhere else on this board, it reads like the literary rendition of wrong mspaint thread sometimes

Guest Billov

it reads like the literary rendition of wrong mspaint thread sometimes

That thread rubs me in ways previously unrubbed :cool:

Recently finished House of Leaves by Mark Z Danielewski which I reccommend a different and occasionally difficult read but very worth it. Now I'm kinda very slowly making my way through Jean Paul Sartre's Nausea and The Devil In The White City by Erik Larson... Also re-reading through all my old Spawn comics lately for kicks.

Guest Coalbucket PI

Disappointed, but I completely lost my momentum with The Idiot... I kind of like where I think its going but I'm about 1/3 into it and it's so slow. Found a copy of High Fidelity by Nick Hornby in a pub and read most of it in 2 days. Reminded me reading books shouldn't be such hard work. I think I've been trying to read The Idiot the whole of two thousand and god damn ten. Now that is ridiculous.

Edited by Coalbucket PI

• 2 weeks later...