IGNORED

Now Reading

Guest The Vidiot

read this if you have not yet, nothing to do with Murakami, everything to do with Orwell and his influence for '1984', amazing book:

we.jpg

I'll definitely check it out. I actually have three or four books I haven't even cracked open yet, so at the moment I'm just reading some short vignettes in this anthology about the many faces of crime.

ap3eR.jpg

the gilded pages and seemingly-screenprinted cover are really fucking awesome, not that that really matters.

But yeah, I still have Infinite Jest (never read DFW), Pale Fire, and books I've already purchased (Trapped!, Ficciones, a few others) to tackle before I can take on recommendations. :shrug: Added it to my to-buy list though.

I just god through the original Watchmen comics and good lord was it good !!! I liked the contrast between the classical "comic" graphism and the dark story/atmosphere. It really was excellent - wonder if the movie is worth watching ?

By the way do you know about any comics that are as good as this one ? If yes please let me know. Cheers !

I just god through the original Watchmen comics and good lord was it good !!! I liked the contrast between the classical "comic" graphism and the dark story/atmosphere. It really was excellent - wonder if the movie is worth watching ?

By the way do you know about any comics that are as good as this one ? If yes please let me know. Cheers !

Definitely check out more Alan Moore stuff, if you liked Watchmen. V for Vendetta, From Hell and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (the first few volumes, anyway) are all quite good, and infinitely better than their adaptations.

palmer2.jpg

I was thinking about reading this next, so I shall take this as a sign and do so..........I hear it is his most frightening novel. PKD felt that he shouldn't have written it, that is was some sort scourge he let loose on the world by writing it. All the more intriguing!

Guest Xenblake

My first PKD read. The story is very well devised, how the hell did he come up with these ideas?! It's beautifully mind twisting yet comes across all sober, self assured and extrememly relatable despite it's fantastical premise.

I still have the four other novels to go though (bought the "5 great novels").

I put down Trapped, this non-fictional account of a caver's fateful account, stuck deep in a Kentucky cave in the 1920s, to start reading John Dies At The End.

I really don't fucking like this book so far. I'm only 20-odd pages in, but so far, I have seen the words "badgerconda", "detectivey", and "vintage 1987 ghetto blaster" in the novel.

This shit reads like a john carpenter fan-fiction by a ten-years-too-old guy trying to be cool with the kids or something. I don't know, it's reading as annoyingly schlocky so far.

palmer2.jpg

I was thinking about reading this next, so I shall take this as a sign and do so..........I hear it is his most frightening novel. PKD felt that he shouldn't have written it, that is was some sort scourge he let loose on the world by writing it. All the more intriguing!

it's in my bookshelf, I should go and read this. bought it a year ago I think.. was watching that documentary about him yesterday and he did indeed say that.

Bitches, you need to get this from the Library of America : (best PKD bang of the buck)

philip-k-dick-collection.jpg

Phillip K Dick brofist

Currently reading VALIS, after finishing "The Man in the High Castle"

Apparently there was talk of Ridley Scott doing a 4 part adaptation of it which I can barley contain myself for.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/oct/07/ridley-scott-sci-fi-philip-k-dick-bbc-drama

holy shit what??? Hope this happens. Although I wish someone would adapt "VALIS" as a series.

Just finished "Palmer Eldritch" and my mind is thoroughly happy after reading such brilliance.

In 1965, PKD was able to loosely predict global warming, skyping, gaming, and virtual realities.

I think he was afraid that some form of his ideas from this novel would come into being.

He was right to be afraid.