IGNORED

Now Reading

Guest The Vidiot

reading Jonathan Lethem's Chronic City. Mostly because the library branch around the corner from me has almost nothing, and I am too lazy to bike up to the main branch.

For a story about people with very few first world problems other than ennui it's surprisingly good. I'm only about 1/3 in and I assume there will be some sadness & death eventually. For now I like the writing and characters.

Tristram Shandy!!! right on!

That's also how I feel about Tristram Shandy.

It's a great novel and one I've been putting off for years. So prescient, so funny, so warm and full of character. I've almost finished it now and I'm not sure how I'll face up to a life without Uncle Toby.

But I've been on a bit of a spree lately and I've got tons of books waiting to be read, including:

200px-MoveableFeast.jpg

mahfouz-the-cairo-trilogy.jpg

nervousconditions.jpg

disgrace%2BCoetzee.jpg

And I'm thinking about grabbing that Julian Barnes novel from the Booker shortlist.

Disgrace is fucking depressing.

That's what I'm expecting... the only other novel I've read of his is In The Heart of the Country which was a bleak, scorched, flyblown book. Brilliant, though. And Coetzee seems like a decent chap generally.

Guest dese manz hatin

Legitimationsprobleme im Spätkapitalismus ("Legitimiation Crisis") by Jürgen Habermas

besides Pascal's "Pensées"

requiem-dream-novel.jpg

if you like this try selby's 'the room'.. amazing book. powerful as it gets, but be careful, some of the shit in there rivals de sades '120 days of sodom' in its sheer sadistic brutality

just read this-

john-waters-role-models.jpg

aside from a few minor criticisms, i really liked it and found it to be pretty inspiring, not to mention really funny. doesnt matter at all if youre not familiar with his film output. in general, i tend to think waters the person is more interesting than his films...

Edited by Z_B_Z

After finishing The Road, I started Song of Kali. Pretty xenophobic, even for a book pitting man against his environment (not unlike Indiana Jones stealing shit from natives in South America).

weareallalone.JPG

H.P Lovecraft - The Original Forever Alone

http://en.wikipedia....8short_story%29

Ha, that was the first Lovecraft I read, just tonight! I just received The Colour Out of Space, which also includes the aforementioned short, and The Hound. Alas, I have yet to dig into Poe. But I put the brakes on Song of Kali just to read some of this Lovecraft, so we'll see how the remainder of October pans out.

Reamde - Neal Stephenson

patiently waiting for the new Murakami book to come out

I just fucking found out about all of these midnight release parties in NYC (in reality, only three or so, but still) there were limited signed copies of 1Q84 for lucky attendees. motherfuckers.

Currently reading the Sebastian Horsley autobiography Dandy in the Underworld. He is clearly a pretentious twat but christ he is funny. I was bored at work and stumbled across the final page then had to buy it immediately. It simply says the following...

There comes a time in every person's life when they realise they adore me.

Yours has come.

God, I fucking love reading, you know? Books are fucking awesome.

yo i didn't really realize this until this year. but i agree. books, man