IGNORED

WHO ROCKED THE SAHARA TENT HARDEST AT COACHELLA

Guest aphexvancouver

Guest aphexvancouver

WHO ROCKED THE SAHARA TENT HARDEST AT COACHELLA

I just copied and pasted the Aphex favored reviews and even though it sounds biased but having RDJ

amidst Fatboy Slim, Justice, Dido, Sasha and Digweed, Danny Teglia I think it is fair to say that none of those come even close to RDJ in regards to true talent.

APHEX TWIN

if you say otherwise, you're just plain wrong.

music is usually a matter of interpretation and opinion, but if you think anyone in the sahara had HALF the talent or half the creativity or half the pure sonic impact of aphex twin, you need to turn off your fucking justice albums and pull your stupid heads of your stupid fucking asses.

aphex twin has, once again, redefined what electronic music should be.

Agreed.

Amazing. It left me utterly speechless... the dancing animals were the perfect touch. Call me crazy, but I think he's the only person on earth that would be able to pull off Faeries Aire and Death Waltz. (Google image if you don't know what that it.) Justice ain't got shit on Aphex, plain and simple.

i like electro but i mean to say anyone was even fucking close to aphex twin is fucking retarded. all the hipster electro and ed banger worship made aphex and sooooo much better for me. it was a breath of fresh air to say the least.

and seriously. pendulum was a fucking joke after aphex twin. their "hardcore" "high energy" bullshit was laughable after aphex twins soul crushing dark finish.

i loved seeing all the rolled out hipsters leaving aphex with this terrifyed look in their eyes.

i'lll never forget that set

-aphex ruined pendumn for me. pendulmn was completly shyte compared to aphex. and i like pendulumn. well not anymore anyways.

-Much of I write here probably would be denied and likely could not be cared less for by The Aphex Twin. This does not mean my claims are not true (though they may be), but rather that RDJ has a great deal of contempt for critical acclaim. In my defense, however, I'm not only a critic, but a less talented peer of Richard's, as well. (I'm an electronic musician in my own right.)

There's a great deal of displeasure that's been expressed on these boards about the hour-long performance of music by Aphex Twin during the evening time of the Californian desert on Friday, 25 April 2008. And nothing less should be expected because James' ideas about what constitutes "music" and his unique philosophies on sound (he would deny he has any) are extraordinarily alienating and, some would say, full of contempt. This is primarily because there is nothing the least bit conventional about what qualities AFX considers are those of a good song. The only exception to this is regular meter (a danceable rhythm), which is a very popular trait in electronic music, and one which is found in a great deal of the body of RDJ's work. (However, at this point in his "career", there are about just as many tracks of his that lack a symmetrical pulse as there are those that harbor it.)

I know it sounds like I'm about to dive into a thousand theories why I think Richard's music turns many people off, but I'm going to try to stay away from that and just focus on a few. And as you can probably already tell, this is anything but a biased interpretation, because I probably have no greater respect or admiration for anyone in electronic music than Richard James.

The most important reason James does a great job of repelling rather than attracting is because there is typically nothing moderate about his recordings and live shows. And since moderation is hailed as the stuff of not only attraction, but of leading a enjoyable and fulfilling life ("everything in moderation"), the trajectory of RDJ on the scale of intensity can be seen as the antithesis of this widely-held view.

He never sings, as his vocals are either childlike or demonic. His melodies are often subtle and delicate, while his percussive elements are nearly always bombastic and assaulting. His ambient pieces are profoundly so, almost to a surreal, secretly snarling degree. And his alternating provisions of intensity are consistently "profondo bellicoso", or deeply aggressive and warlike.

And though there is certainly variation in the extreme moods inherent in the music of Aphex Twin, those periods are usually underscored with an unsettling tension, provided by dissonant bass lines, sharp & staccato blasts of noise, and a quietness that is very unquiet, much like the proverbial calm preceding the storm.

This is not background music, and it doesn't work well at bars, parties or other social meetings where the focus is not on experiencing art. It demands that the listener pay attention, even at more subtle volumes.

So, it's not surprising that AT's performance was met with so much dismay and displeasure in a huge tent filled with people who typically just want something nice to dance to, accented here and there by softly climatic breaks, time-expansion effects and experiences in rudimentary filtering. Aphex Twin's music can alternate between subversively minimalist to horrifically complex, but it is never pedestrian or ordinary.

In the end, I am profoundly grateful to Goldenvoice for putting on a festival that does not simply cater to one musical perspective, but rather to so many that it seems nearly-infinite. Personally, I could have used a few more bands on the intelligently aggressive side of things, but I have never heard anything as intense as I heard when Richard James was closing his stellar set Friday night. I think there has never been a truer sonic holocaust ever performed, and I hope to all the gods that someone, somewhere got that set on tape/disc.

(Do any of you know if anyone did actually record it?)

Thank you, again, GV, for another wonderful festival and making it unforgettable by bringing The Aphex Twin finally to our shores.

fucking incredible. i had to create an account to mention how epic this was. fuckin immense fuckin unfuckinbelievalbe fuck fucking aphex is god

Archived