IGNORED

Vocals

Guest hahathhat

Guest hahathhat

What do you think about the minimal presence of vocals in AFX, Squarepusher, etc.? When they use vocals, it's usually more as another sound, functionally equivalent to a synth. Massive Attack and such outfits do very well with session vocalists, but I wager the braindance sorts take music far too personally to have someone come in for a day and sing some things. I thought the vocal noises in Synthacon 9 were a nice compromise...

I suppose AFX/pusher use a lot of vocal noises (i.e. Come To Daddy album/My Red Hot Car) but again, may as well be samples from drum synths or something. vocal noises into a mic to make samples. I think braindance-ish things can be done with vocal performances -- Amon Tobin's Verbal comes to mind. if I am seeing it properly, what he did was take some MC's rhythms, throw out the actual words, use bits of vocal noise to construct a glossolalia version of the original rhyme/groove... the point being, the feeling delivered by the original vocalist/MC remained, as opposed to just making vocal noises into a mic for samples. it's a performance, reconstructed. like doing a painting of a photo. synthacon 9 uses vocoder, ol' standby of electronic music vocals... :grin:

squarepusher is by no means shy of live performances, why not vocals? why always instrumental jams with herbie, no vocalists??

I grew up listening to celtic folk and classic rock, beatles... lots of gorgeous vocal harmonies. gregorian chants are nice... i love all the music people talk about on these boards, but sometimes i just want to hear human voices. listen to a lot of bands that would incite flamewars if i mentioned... kula shaker... franz ferdinand!

Bjork made some nice points about the role of vocals in electronic music in that Charlie Rose interview floating around on google.

Lots to say about this...

I'd love to hear more vocals in electronic music. Some of my favorite Plaid songs have full-on lyrical content.

Also, going by Love Will Tear Us Apart, SP's got a fine, almost lounge-like voice.

Also, going by Love Will Tear Us Apart, SP's got a fine, almost lounge-like voice.

I like that song, it sounds a bit like Sonic Youth, obviously not really braindance though

as for singing in braindance, I don't really like it. If it has a vocoder-ish or stupid ("Oooooh.. What did I do wrong?" lol) function, I like it.

I've always been surprised that beat-boxing hasn't been incorporated into I.D.M. very much. What I've heard has mainly been someone grabbing a loop of it and throwing it into a track but there's great potential to build 'kits' of mouth beats to program as instruments. Then of course you can take beat-boxing beyond what a normal human can physically do.

I guess I should just do it myself. :rolleyes:

I like that song, it sounds a bit like Sonic Youth, obviously not really braindance though

what? it sounds almost exactly like the original version by joy division

did you know it's a cover?

Guest David R James

F-train is one of my favorite pusher tunes, its just fucking wicked. But u often cant actually get what is said so i just enjoy it being part of the track.

Edit: i lol at how serious spushers poetry or dialogue sounds and how ceephax's is the completely opposite.

acid holiday

you guys really need to look away from the big names to find vocal based idm, there's plenty out there, for example ms john soda (though they're more electronic folky pop, still awesome though) and nautilis (he only used vocals in a few tracks but they were great). there's more to idm than squarepusher, aphex, etc.

Guest David R James
you guys really need to look away from the big names to find vocal based electronic music, there's plenty out there, for example ms john soda (though they're more electronic folky pop, still awesome though) and nautilis (he only used vocals in a few tracks but they were great). there's more to electronic music than squarepusher, aphex, etc.

that's nice dear

I'd love to hear more vocals in electronic music.

you guys really need to look away from the big names to find vocal based idm, there's plenty out there, for example ms john soda (though they're more electronic folky pop, still awesome though) and nautilis (he only used vocals in a few tracks but they were great). there's more to idm than squarepusher, aphex, etc.

It sounded familiar, but wasn't sure if it's a cover of anything. Never really checked out Joy Division lol (isn't that the band that became New Order?)

not exactly like the original version by joy division, i got this song & i'm sure u're wrong!

i love joy division & new order!

the version by squarepusher is more jazzy than the original...

Archived