IGNORED

Oh sh*t! I got accepted to NYU grad school

Guest maantecaaa!!!

Guest maantecaaa!!!

NYU is going to be crazy expensive, but the program is awesome and I really need this opportunity to move into a different career. The thought of a *likely* loan that's at least 60k is giving me the chills. BUT, I know I'll be getting paid more than I am now (in technical support) and i'm primarily concerned with actually enjoying what I do for work. IMO, there's nothing worse than going through life feeling like a wage slave. I'm freaking out over heeah! :omg:

Any advice about these college fees/loans?

I went to NYU for film as and undergrad transfer and racked up about 70 Gs for 2.5 years. No help from my parents. Get used to banks calling you every Sunday at 7am for the rest of your life.

Yup, if you go to a private Uni in America you are going to get ass raped. I got 75K in scholarships and that only covered half of my 4 year program.

Also, congrats, NYU and NYC are both super awesome.

education is only for rich people because being rich in the first place means you're smart. if you're poor you're probably genetically stupid so don't need education anyway. if you disagree you're probably some kind of communist.

education is only for rich people because being rich in the first place means you're smart. if you're poor you're probably genetically stupid so don't need education anyway. if you disagree you're probably some kind of communist.

d

fucking shit squee

i seriously am thinking about talking to my aunts.

it's not like you can just move there and go to school for free

The guy with the mustache is right

For you brits, it's only 30k, right?

In Denmark it's $0, £0, and 0 dkr.

Yeah but doesn't like 75% of your paycheck eventually go to support stuff like that? Not saying that way is any better or worse than ours, but there's no such thing as a free lunch as they say.

fucking shit squee

i seriously am thinking about talking to my aunts.

it's not like you can just move there and go to school for free

The guy with the mustache is right

as he always is.

edit: quote

yeah, dude who are touting your country's free education. it's not really free. you just pay for it collectively rather than requiring the people who go to school to pay their own way. if you never went to school, don't plan to and have a moral objection to education, you're still paying for other people to go to school.

not saying our system is better, but you can't act like "omg i go to school for free and it will never cost me anything." not true.

yeah, dude who are touting your country's free education. it's not really free. you just pay for it collectively rather than requiring the people who go to school to pay their own way. if you never went to school, don't plan to and have a moral objection to education, you're still paying for other people to go to school.

not saying our system is better, but you can't act like "omg i go to school for free and it will never cost me anything." not true.

Yeah, but it means that no one is held back from getting the education they want.

lol where you raped by college tuition as a child?

what he said was true, he paid $0 tuition. obviously its paid for somewhere else.

60k for an education?

lol ok, america

I know... so backwards. My son is getting near college age (5 more years) and I'm wondering how I'm gonna put him through financially.

Yeah, but it means that no one is held back from getting the education they want.

Exactly - and when the system is like that, not only are you not saddled with enormous debt that impedes your lifestyle, but because more people are educated, they contribute more to society, thus raising the standard of living for everyone, making life easier, etc. It's a wonderful circle I wish the US would adopt as soon as possible.

I'd much rather pay more in taxes to support universal college education than to be saddled personally with a debt that will take most of my working life to repay.

no, i understand that. that's the benefit. the downside is the tax. I'm not criticizing it, I'm just saying it's not true that your education is free. you pay for it (and then some) over the course of your taxable life time. It's just evenly distributed.

my degree left me with debts of just under £9000. I've managed to get that down to about £8000 in three years of paying the bastard off. they killing me on the interest man!

60k for an education?

lol ok, america

I know... so backwards. My son is getting near college age (5 more years) and I'm wondering how I'm gonna put him through financially.

Exactly - and when the system is like that, not only are you not saddled with enormous debt that impedes your lifestyle, but because more people are educated, they contribute more to society, thus raising the standard of living for everyone, making life easier, etc. It's a wonderful circle I wish the US would adopt as soon as possible.

I'd much rather pay more in taxes to support universal college education than to be saddled personally with a debt that will take most of my working life to repay.

Our high taxes also pay for our trips to the hospital and so on and so on...

my degree left me with debts of just under £9000. I've managed to get that down to about £8000 in three years of paying the bastard off. they killing me on the interest man!

Can you refinance it at a lower rate? You'll end up paying longer, but the monthly payment will be more manageable, and you can possibly save thousands in interest as well.

Archived