IGNORED

what was the first electronic song that you remember hearing?

J3FF3R00

Mine has to be "Pump Up The Volume" by M/A/R/R/S.

I flipped my shit when I heard it. Up until then all I listened to was Weird Al, so it totally blew my mind.

Another was "Oh Yeah" by Yello, thanks to Ferris Bueller.

The first real "Rave" track I heard was "James Brown is Dead" by LA Style.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know what the first track was, but it was probably some sort of synth pop track that was popular around 87-91. jean jarre, pet shop boys, etc...I'd say that my first real exposure to electronic music by accidentally finding and watching mtv's party zone. That show played loads of good tracks, along with a lot cheese. Off the top of my head, the three videos I remember seeing that blew my mind were: prodigy - out of space, this hardcore remix of the sesame street theme, and lil louis - french kiss (i once got in trouble for watching it because of the moaning near the end of the track).

I don't know what the first track was, but it was probably some sort of synth pop track that was popular around 87-91. jean jarre, pet shop boys, etc...I'd say that my first real exposure to electronic music by accidentally finding and watching mtv's party zone. That show played loads of good tracks, along with a lot cheese. Off the top of my head, the three videos I remember seeing that blew my mind were: prodigy - out of space, this hardcore remix of the sesame street theme, and lil louis - french kiss (i once got in trouble for watching it because of the moaning near the end of the track).

Sesame's Treat. I had a 1990's party at my house last weekend and that track got some significant rotation.

I guess it depends on what you call electronic, but the first real dance tune I remember is a megamix of Technotronic's hits (incl. Pump up the jam) that was on Now 31 and I think released in something like 1990. It was and still is epic.

First rave/ old school song...don't know...but when I was a nipper I liked Don't Go by Awesome 3 - probably because of the catchy vocals and 'rewind' samples.

Guest tv_party

can't think of any one in particular but I listened to this stuff when it first came out

ice-t - reckless

run dmc

ll cool j

twilight 22 - electric kingdom, siberian nights

newcleus

Def listened to a lot of synth music in the 80s but the first time I really remember getting into electronic music was probably Prodigy's Jilted Generation or the first Chemical Brothers album.

edit: actually it would almost certainly be Dr Who or some other 70s TV music

yeah, i must have been about 3-4. i was so captivated by it.

also venice in peril. the music video with all the andriods on the sinking ship. its a bit electronic. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej_wRgBS5lI    the animations a bit gash really isnt it. i think my onborn spermy brothers could animate better than that.

Guest Al Hounos

Twin Peaks theme

i remember loving that song as a toddler. probably implanted in my brain that synth sounds are good.

not sure but it could either be Oxygene 4 (theme music to Thats Life I think)

http://themes.kitjunkie.org/themes/Thats_Life.mp3

nope

Twin Peaks theme

i remember loving that song as a toddler. probably implanted in my brain that synth sounds are good.

the twin peaks theme is not electronic music

Guest Deep Fried Everything

the first electronic song that i remember hearing? no doubt it was some early 80s synth pop i wasn't even aware of when i was younger. the first time i remember being intrigued was when i was this HBO series (around 1990, when violator was just released) called "and the band played on" about the beginning of the AIDS crisis in the 80s ... towards the end policy of truth was featured and my ears perked wayyyyy the fuck up. i realized then that, though i didn't buy the album until probably a decade later, i absolutely loved that sound but never did anything to seek it out until sometime later.

Guest Dirty Protest

I used to go to a few acid house things in the late 80's early 90's, but couldnt give a fuck about the music as it was just somewhere to comfortably take drugs and after go home and listen to punk rock. Then I heard you got the love and got it =)

Hooked on classics

my mom used to play a tape of this in the car when i was young

the only to gigs (concerts) my mum (mom) ever went to were cliff richard and Hooked on Classics live

edit: two

Archived