IGNORED

Complete Remastered Beatles Discography 09/09/09

Bob Dylan

Oh yeah!

Screw you guys who don't like them, this is the definitive and historical archival of their catalogue. Available in Stereo *and* a Mono collection. All 14 albums.

I'll be able to destroy these pathetic 1987 CD versions. Hopefully no noise reduction or brickwalling, don't fuck this up like "One", a pathetic release sonically.

Just listen to the remastering done on "Love" or the DVD Anthology and it just shows the possible clarity of this upcoming release compared to the 1987 versions. "One" was a pathetic brickwalling version of the '87 masters.

i love how on the DVD anthology they have 5.1 versions of the original beatles tracks putting things like guitar and drums only in one channel giving it a very experimental but amazing sounding mix.

too bad that was never released as an audio only type of release with only playable remastered songs.

You can find those 5.1 stuff on a lot of bootlegs. Stereo mixdowns, isolated tracks, etc...

Not only that, but somebody last year got a hand on the multi tracks masters of the entire Sgt. Peppers album (4 tracks each!). That's also in bootleg format somewhere on the web if you search a little ;)

Guest Hanratty

hasn't this stuff been remastered before? seems like every good album gets "remastered" these days in order to sell it again. and the Beatles sell more versions of the same thing than any band i know of. hard to get excited for this.

Guest David R James

I hate remasters of old music, modern eq curves just sound gash on old classic music becuase it often makes it too bright, thin and overly mastered. I prefer it if things are kept as closely to the orignal as possible.

hasn't this stuff been remastered before? seems like every good album gets "remastered" these days in order to sell it again. and the Beatles sell more versions of the same thing than any band i know of. hard to get excited for this.

I think the point here is this is the definitive remaster, considering the last time it was done was 1987 from the sound of things, and technology has changed quite a bit. Also, I am sure they are gearing up for finally releasing legitimate digital versions of the song, now that Beatles: Rock Band game will be coming out, and I am sure they will have additional Beatles songs available as DLC for that. Add to the fact Apple now offers variable pricing on the iTunes store, which I am sure all the Beatles songs will be at the upper tier pricing point.

I think the point here is this is the definitive remaster, considering the last time it was done was 1987 from the sound of things, and technology has changed quite a bit. Also, I am sure they are gearing up for finally releasing legitimate digital versions of the song, now that Beatles: Rock Band game will be coming out, and I am sure they will have additional Beatles songs available as DLC for that. Add to the fact Apple now offers variable pricing on the iTunes store, which I am sure all the Beatles songs will be at the upper tier pricing point.

Ironic, in that they(Beatles) sued Apple.

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

well how else could they resell us the same stuff over and over again

the best beatles stuff was the anthologies. i dont listen to the albums anymore since those came out

It.s been 22 years. They never got remastered on CD, the original release sounds crappy like any 1987 CD release. This won't be "One" fucking brickwalled and with absolute no dynamics . The men listed below, they are probably the BEST guys in the entire industry. Just go to shforums (stevehoffman.tv/forums/) and you'll every audiophile is amazed by this news.

Re-mastering the Beatles catalogue

The re-mastering process commenced with an extensive period conducting tests before finally copying the analogue master tapes into the digital medium. When this was completed, the transfer was achieved using a Pro Tools workstation operating at 24 bit 192 kHz resolution via a Prism A-D converter. Transferring was a lengthy procedure done a track at a time. Although EMI tape does not suffer the oxide loss associated with some later analogue tapes, there was nevertheless a slight build up of dust, which was removed from the tape machine heads between each title.

From the onset, considerable thought was given to what audio restorative processes were going to be allowed. It was agreed that electrical clicks, microphone vocal pops, excessive sibilance and bad edits should be improved where possible, so long as it didn’t impact on the original integrity of the songs.

In addition, de-noising technology, which is often associated with re-mastering, was to be used, but subtly and sparingly. Eventually, less than five of the 525 minutes of Beatles music was subjected to this process. Finally, as is common with today’s music, overall limiting - to increase the volume level of the CD - has been used, but on the stereo versions only. However, it was unanimously agreed that because of the importance of The Beatles’ music, limiting would be used moderately, so as to retain the original dynamics of the recordings.

When all of the albums had been transferred, each song was then listened to several times to locate any of the agreed imperfections. These were then addressed by Guy Massey, working with Audio Restoration engineer Simon Gibson.

Mastering could now take place, once the earliest vinyl pressings, along with the existing CDs, were loaded into Pro Tools, thus allowing comparisons to be made with the original master tapes during the equalization process. When an album had been completed, it was auditioned the next day in studio three – a room familiar to the engineers, as all of the recent Beatles mixing projects had taken place in there – and any further alteration of EQ could be addressed back in the mastering room. Following the initial satisfaction of Guy and Steve, Allan Rouse and Mike Heatley then checked each new re-master in yet another location and offered any further suggestions. This continued until all 13 albums were completed to the team’s satisfaction.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest awkwardsilence

Yeah, I'll buy that box for sure. I mean, back in 1987 CD technology was still a new thing.

A proper remastering of the Beatles albums is a no-brainer purchase for me.

You can find those 5.1 stuff on a lot of bootlegs. Stereo mixdowns, isolated tracks, etc...

Not only that, but somebody last year got a hand on the multi tracks masters of the entire Sgt. Peppers album (4 tracks each!). That's also in bootleg format somewhere on the web if you search a little ;)

Guest Helper ET

im gonna get some paint, go find the mona lisa, and make the blues more blue, and the reds more red

im also going to brake the penis off of the statue of david, to make him look more like a girl

Archived