IGNORED

post pics of your cat(s)

Guest thanksomuch

UEK3mDT.jpg

Our Stanley Girl (foreground) died suddenly and unexpectedly early this Saturday night, absolutely devastated the wife and I. At 11-1/2 she was the portrait of healthy (apart from some allergies) and content. That Friiday night she did what she usually does, which is to lie on my side of the bed late evening, wait until I get into bed, and then sit on my lap for a pet & a purr.

RIP Stan

Guest bitroast

Mine. Tried to rotate, still upside down. It's still a cat tho

best avatar + post combination right here. :):)

Sorry about that mate.

Thanks delet, still feel gutted today, especially since our poor other cat is clearly stressed and has no idea wtf is going on.

Yeah i was thinking about the other cat when i saw the photo and wondering what you were going to do, and how he would behave after having his mate just disapear one day. So you are going to get him another companion? Or wait a bit.

Poume%26Siam.png

aka Poume :

Poume.png

and Siam :

Siam.png

They've been living together for 6 months now (Siam couldn't move-in with me at my GF's when I did, so he had to stay a bit more at my mum's), and now they seem to be excellent friends (which wasn't obvious at first, 2 males...). It's so nice to see how happy they are now to live together, to be able to play with another cat.

Guest Iain C

If I can make my phone play nicely, I'm going to post pictures of some of the cats I met in Istanbul. Sure, they're not my cats - but they're beautiful cats anyway. Istanbul is the greatest city for cat-lovers. They occupy an especially privileged position in the city. The locals generally treat them with kindness and compassion, stroking them and leaving food and water for them even down the dingiest, most obscure back-alleys. As a result even the feral cats are tame and friendly. They're given free run of religious and historical sites, too. Cats are even allowed in mosques.

Guest Iain C

e3aneda7.jpg

This cat is sitting on a tomb in the cemetery in Divan Yolu. A peaceful and serene place in the bustle of Sultanahmet. No wonder cats like it

udyna8y4.jpg

Another one - staring at a bird in a tree.

te3a4yna.jpg

This cat was just hanging out in the Hagia Sofia.

vyhu9yhu.jpg

Here she is closer up.

zy3a4yzy.jpg

This cat in Sultanahmet square was friendly but camera-shy. He had huge balls.

eta8uvav.jpg

The waiter was getting a bit exasperated by this cat. He kept trying to shoo it away but the woman wouldn't let him. She wanted to take pictures.

rype5utu.jpg

More cat harrassment.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I fear for you, joshy. that cat would've made a move on you if you hadn't snapped those pics quickly.

interrogation kitteh.

Yeah it was little freaky. He's also been calling me "Clarice" lately.

Sorry about that mate.

Thanks delet, still feel gutted today, especially since our poor other cat is clearly stressed and has no idea wtf is going on.

Yeah i was thinking about the other cat when i saw the photo and wondering what you were going to do, and how he would behave after having his mate just disapear one day. So you are going to get him another companion? Or wait a bit.

Yeah the thought definitely entered my mind but I don't think we could do it, especially since we have a 15-month old girl (human) who occupies all our time and energy right now. Having been an indoor cat too all of his 10+ years (apart from several daring escapes :shuriken: ), the few interactions he's had with other cats haven't gone over so well either. He's always been really affectionate with us though which is helping things a bit, here's a pic of him being a giant teddybear with my wife from a few weeks ago:

vWJedrT.jpg

Thanks for the condolences Usagi and to the rest of y'all for the great/cute photos, they've definitely gone a long way to picking me up

I'm sorry to hear about Stanley Girl, especially considering how suddenly she passed away. As you mentioned though, having the other babies, both your daughter and the fuzzball, will help a lot.

Guest Iain C

e3aneda7.jpg

This cat is sitting on a tomb in the cemetery in Divan Yolu. A peaceful and serene place in the bustle of Sultanahmet. No wonder cats like it

udyna8y4.jpg

Another one - staring at a bird in a tree.

te3a4yna.jpg

This cat was just hanging out in the Hagia Sofia.

vyhu9yhu.jpg

Here she is closer up.

zy3a4yzy.jpg

This cat in Sultanahmet square was friendly but camera-shy. He had huge balls.

eta8uvav.jpg

The waiter was getting a bit exasperated by this cat. He kept trying to shoo it away but the woman wouldn't let him. She wanted to take pictures.

rype5utu.jpg

More cat harrassment.

this is awesome and reminds me of the time I went for Umrah (sort of like the lesser Hajj) to Mecca and Medina, in 1994 or thereabouts. I would've been about 10. both cities were full of cats back then and they would wander freely in and out of Masjid al Haram and Masjid al Nabawi, the two main mosques. a lot of times when congregational prayers were in session, the cats would hop on and around people and get in the way, which was always funny to watch. most of the time the person praying would have to just prostrate themselves onto the creature as it lay there lazily :lol: they've since shooed the cats away because when I went back for Hajj two years later there were hardly any around.

I love cat-friendly cities. absolutely must visit Istanbul sometime soon.

I think there'd be a public outcry if they tried to get rid of the cats of Istanbul. But apparently the city takes caring for them very seriously - strays are regularly rounded up, spayed/neutered, and given any medical treatment they need. I know stray dogs are tagged and microchipped, almost all the strays you see have tags on their ears. I'm not sure if they chip the cats.

All told it's just a very humane way of dealing with the city's non-human residents. As an animal lover I was very impressed.

BIG CAT NEWS: our household adopted a little 8-week-old kitten last night. Pictures within the next couple of days.