IGNORED

post pics of your cat(s)

Guest thanksomuch

I guess I never introduced our new cat to watmm.  This is going to be a long ass post, sorry. Skip to the end for a pic.

He’s been living with us since about July of 2022.  

He was a stray before that, maybe a bit under a year old, living out of a restaurant dumpster behind our old apartment building. It took me a few months to build up some trust with him outside, and we started feeding him near our front door until he came around regularly.  Eventually he’d hang out there and wait for us to come out and give him pets. He was filthy and covered in fleas and a bit malnourished from eating scraps of naan or whatever from the dumpster. He seemed to like us, but our idiot upstairs neighbors would chase him away.  One night he came by and we noticed his nose was injured, like someone had taken a lighter or lit cigarette to it.  Still have no idea. We went outside with a cat carrier and he walked right in to it.  

We took him to the emergency after hours vet, and they treated him and told us he would clearly be microchipped and that they would need to contact his owners. They didn’t seem to believe we hadn’t just stolen him. By appearances he’s a pure Siamese.  Of course, he had no chip. I’d been searching for posts about missing cats fitting his description for months. We told the vet we’d take responsibility for him.  

He got cleaned up, came home and quarantined in our bathroom for some days while the deworming pills etc ran their course.  Once he came out he sat right in my lap and looked so happy.

A year and a half later and he’ll still sit in our laps all day if we don’t move. He’ll skip food and litter box breaks just to sit with us. We have to remind him. That first night we left the bedroom door open and he waltzed right in as soon as we got in bed and slept through the night next to my wife and me. He’s done that every night since.

He started showing up right around when our old Teddy’s health started turning and he was showing signs of old age.  Before we brought the new guy in, Teddy used to stare at him through the frosted glass by our front door like he was in love. As soon as the new cat came in and Teddy realized it was a boy he lost all interested.  They never got super close but they tolerated each other.  Actually no, the new cat, Hammie (I didn’t name either of them, I swear) loved Teddy, it just wasn’t reciprocated too much. But he was tolerated and Teddy would occasionally let Hammie sleep on his special cat bed during the day, but only when Hammie was feeling down, which happens whenever it’s rainy out for some reason.

Anyway, having Hammie with us while Teddy transitioned out of this world has been an immeasurable source of comfort. They have very different personalities, which somehow makes this easier, like Hammie isn’t a replacement so much as just a Hammie, you know?  

TLDR, here’s some pictures from before he lived with us and after.  IMG_0213.thumb.jpeg.b15e599d04c48e5ddb49b3374fa77f4b.jpegIMG_0220.thumb.jpeg.f5be34b5b37d4875a2e7a3fbd52b20b9.jpegIMG_0348.thumb.jpeg.c07980015670eebb0c4ef572e6be6766.jpegIMG_1378.thumb.jpeg.28b9fed3b4dda89afa64f964c1119bd6.jpeg

• Like 12

“The purr is very important. It's the purr that does it every time. It's the purr that makes up for the Things Under the Bed, the occasional pungency, the 4 a.m. yowl. Other creatures went in for big teeth, long legs or over-active brains, while cats just settled for a noise that tells the world they're feeling happy.”
Terry Pratchett; The Unadulterated Cat

• 3 months later...

My lovely Lucy was put down to sleep today because of severe kidney failure! She was unwell for two months and i knew that the end could be near but I must admit that I didn’t know that ill be so devastated! ; _ ; 

She was 12 yrs old, was very smart and loved to play with me and my family! She was quite unusual cat, sometimes behaving more like a dog; for instance, we would chase each other in the garden or she would regularly run next to me while Id jog in the forest behind my house! 

Dear Lucy! Thank you all these years of love and joy! I really hope that we will meet again someday, somewhere! 

IMG_1380.jpeg

Edited by xox
  • Sad 10

On 3/19/2024 at 2:49 AM, xox said:

My lovely Lucy was put down to sleep today because of severe kidney failure! She was unwell for two months and i knew that the end could be near but I must admit that I didn’t know that ill be so devastated! ; _ ; 

She was 12 yrs old, was very smart and loved to play with me and my family! She was quite unusual cat, sometimes behaving more like a dog; for instance, we would chase each other in the garden or she would regularly run next to me while Id jog in the forest behind my house! 

Dear Lucy! Thank you all these years of love and joy! I really hope that we will meet again someday, somewhere! 

IMG_1380.jpeg

😞 RIP.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...