IGNORED

EP7 / Peel Sessions EP 2

thehauntingsoul

haven't listened to ep7 for a while but let me just say that maphive6.1 is one of my favourite songs of all time. so fucking gorgeous. i've often thought of doing a cover of it but it pretty much sounds like a live band anyway!

I like ep7 but I need to be in the rite mood to enjoy it. Tracks like zeiss, left blank, and liccflii are so damn twisted even compared to their most recent stuff - sometimes I love them but sometimes they can be annoying as fuck. Rpeg and Maphive are always ace though.

Peel Sessions EP 2? What is this?

Oooh, you mean Peel Session 2!

Bah, have not got Peel Session 2. As of yet.

EP7 is cummin in me ears as we speak. Rpeg is a niiiiice.

Rpeg

Ccec

Dropp

Maphive 6.1

Is Maphive pronounced map hive (as in a map of a hive) or maffive (as in someone who can't say massive properly)

For the sweet sake of silliness I'd go for the latter.

What say you

i love rpeg, dropp, netlon sentinel and pir. other than that ep7 is an OK ae release.

peel sessions 2 is really nice, i like blifil a lot, wish i could have seen them play that track live. gelk and gaekwad are noteworthy just because how strange they feel, and i don't think i've ever heard music quite like that before or since.

this is when ae starts to pull away from the rest of teh idms imo.

EP7 has to be one of my favorite releases of Autechre's.

Rpeg starts out pretty nice. My only complaint is that it's really repetitive.

Ccec is interesting, though not my favorite. I feel like I could shake a house with its bass.

Squeller has the right amount of chaos.

Left BLank is the same as Squeller to me, they both blend together and are enjoyed.

Outpt, I forget which member it is that really liked this, but I really have to agree with him. I've been listening to it a lot lately.

Dropp is the song that got me into Autechre. It's basically perfect.

Liccflii, not much to say other than I like it.

Maphive 6.1 is the only song on this album I skip, I hate it.

Zeiss Contarex has those weird vocals in it that are eerie and neat.

Netlon Sentinel is one of my favorite Autechre tracks. I love the percussion in this song.

Pir sums up the album for me. The whole song, and album, has elements that make it sound underwater.

Listened to EP7 all the way through (except the untitled track, which I don't have yet), here's my review:

This is one of those Ae releases which I don't regularly listen to. I occasionally like to pop in one or two tracks now and then but I've never really sat down and appreciated it from start to finish. In summary, although EP7 does have its high points, a lot of it just sounds like drawn-out computer droning mixed with annoying noises. Maybe I still need to work on this album some more, because a lot of the time I'm just not picking up on the rhythm. Trackdown:

Rpeg: The opening melody of this track is like a mathematical equation in its perfection. Great opener. The rest of the track moves further and further yet doesn't really go very far.

Ccec: I LOVE the cut-up vocals in this track. Spooky...

Squeller: It feels like a snake made out of machinery is tunneling through the ground and making houses collapse.

Left Blank: Until further notice, this one just sounds like mechanical noise.

Outpt: I can't really get into this one, it just seems to drag on for way too long.

Dropp: Now this is more like it! Beautiful melodies all the way through, this is like an epic version of Corc.

Liccflii: Pretty much sounds like another Left Blank, but with more interesting noise and movement.

Maphive 6.1: This track is so amazing! Words can't even begin to describe the beauty of these noises. Bouncing, shiny dings tweaked by Booth and Brown until they just ooze with emotion and explode with clusters of awesomeness.

Zeiss Contarex: See below.

zeisscontarex.png

Netlon Sentinel: This is a totally epic track. From the beginning, it thunders with pounding rhythm, then it gradually gets taken over by a desolate, ghostly melody. The two then work together to produce an ear-dazzling effect I can never get enough of. 10/10.

Pir: The EP/album ends with a beautiful symphony of wet, clonking beats and harmonic lines of melody which evolve over time and finally envelope the listener in tranquility.

edit: Resized image

Dragon, you're missing out if you don't get EP7 yet. To me, the whole album sounds like Ae underwater. I like to imagine (and have said twice before around here lately) that this album kind of sounds like a robot fell into a bathtub. Its the glitchyness of LP5 but underwater.

Rpeg is the best opener track for me, hands down. It was really one of the first 3 tracks that got me hooked on Ae. At first I heard Clipper, Eutow and this, and they hooked me. Even though I hated the rest of their music, I pushed forewards and now I love it all. Great melody here, and I love the way it introduces the flow of the album because there is alot of repetition to be found here and this track eases you into it by showing you the melody and then stretching everything out into a more drone-based track

Ccec is another one of my favs here. The chopped up vocals are one of the coolest effects Ae has ever made, and if I'm not mistaken they don't really re-investigate this idea until IO. The bass is unbelievably low (a great quality present throughout the entire album) and the melody is great. There core melody is essentially two master chords one after the other. I love how the melody is built by playing different chunks of these master chords, so that it makes a full fleshed out melody rather than just two chords. The buzzing and whirring really nicely complements everything

Squeller always is a bit of a toughie for me. I've never really been a huge fan of this track. The melody just seems too similar to Ccec, but the beat is pretty killer. Although if you focus on the stomp-marching bass drum hit, the track gains alot of power, but it still is never one of my "go-to" ae tracks when I need to hear something killer.

Left Blank I can see why someone would not enjoy this track but I think you should all listen a few more times because this is one of my favs off this album. The beat really nicely foreshadows the Untilted album, and the melody is really nicely random but not at the same time. My favorite part of the track is when the melody goes totally batshit and really gets jumping all over the place making squealy mis-matched chords etc. Really nice track if you appreciate it for what it is.

Outpt is a great excercise in Ae's unique fusion of IDM and drone. It goes on for a long long time without changing much which could be a complaint but I believe it was intentional. The atmosphere created here almost feess like eternity. The melody is written in such a way that you cannot easily pinpoint where the start or end of the melody is, which gives it this perpetual flow. When you are fully taken into this track, it actually feels way too short.

Dropp is another one of my favs. I know I say this alot on this album because I love alot of the tracks here. Dropp is a great fucking melody, and the bass is really really heavy which I love. The (I'm assuming here) Max/msp type of processing going on with the beat blows my mind. After repeated repeated listens I still cannot quite figure out what exactly is happening there. I always play this track over a few times because it doesn't give you enough time to get familiar with it before its over. My fav element is the really fast stuttering wop-wop sound that pitches upwards quickly... It's hard to explain but it occurs roughly at the end of each measure. Love this track.

Licflii is in the same boat as Squeller for me. Alot of noise going on for the sake of noise. The beat is really good though which holds everything together and there are definitely some interesting concepts explored in this track but I have never fully gotten into it. I will have to give it a bunch of re-listens. One thing I like is that the distortion masks the melodic component and without listening closely its easily possible to entirely miss some melodic segments.

Maphive6.1 is another great track. Again everything sounds so underwater here. The synth used here is so unique and I wish that Ae would explore this territory a little bit more, although it doesn't seem very likely at this point. The beat is ridiculously complex, which is easy to miss as the melody tends to distract you from the beat, but all the components present here are in perfect harmony. The way the melody bleeds at the end and just flows into an overwhelming pool of emotion. Its a great track, one of their most moving.

Zeiss Contarex is a pretty flawless track. One of the creepiest openeing Ae has ever made, let alone electonic music in general (I know its a bold statement). The track is really chill and laid back, which is a rare Ae occurance. The chopped up french vocal samples are also really fucking cool and creepy. This whole track is just really creepy and awesome.

Netlon Sentinel is a perfect little example of good things in small packages. Nice short track but perfectly tuned and polished. The whole track is really reminiscent of Nuane. The beat is heavy as fuck, and the melody that comes in towards the end is really really cool. It makes you think the track is over but then the beat comes back in a slightly more coherent form and carries all the way through to the end.

Pir is another great album closer. Come to think of it I don't think there is a single album that doesn't have a flawless closing track. Alot of underwater sounding shit going on here, and there is a really great hopeful and positive sounding melody that is kind of wrapped in the mechanical gears of the beat here. Everything struggles to stay in time, this track is almost like the ugly duckling of Ae tracks.

So there's my EP7 writeup. Again I wanted to summarize that this album really sounds like a robot fell into a bath. Lots of water sounds mixed with glitchyness, but its the type of electric crackling that you would expect to hear out of a robot struggling to get out of a bath. I like to think of Ae's music like a journey. LP5 was discovery of new land, then EP7 was the descent into the ocean. I'm thinking that its like there is a sinkhole into another dimension at the bottom of the ocean, and once you get sucked through at the end of EP7 you end up in Confield land. Can't wait till next week to do a proper Confield do-over as I've never been a huge fan of the album but I see the merits in all the tracks.

consider this, maybe just one of them made parhelic triangle

The square of any two sides of a parhelic triangle is equal to the square root of the remaining side.

consider this, maybe just one of them made parhelic triangle

Put this in your pipe and smoke it - he's still a knob on a swing

Archived