IGNORED

Universe went back in time to sabotage LHC!!

Guest bitroast

look, when the fuck are they going to invent hoverboards?

I invented a hoverboard once. But then my future self turned up, kicked me in the nuts and stole it. Bastard.

gutted

22/12/2012

right after the end of everything

gutted

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I invented a hoverboard once. But then my future self turned up, kicked me in the nuts and stole it. Bastard.

I invented a hoverboard twice.

Guest Stoppit

I invented a hoverboard twice.

Clever. Didn't think of that. Still, eventually, the pain in my nuts will subside and I'll become a future-bastard with a hoverboard.

Result.

Scientists claim the giant atom-smashing Large Hadron Collider (LHC) is being jinxed from the future to save the world.

hmmm. maybe we should unplug it? no, they'll keep rebooting until it does blow up the planet I guess. fuck what the lhc thinks.

was that a real news article? where can i find any sort of scientific evidence to support their retarded people-from-the-future theory?

also, why in the fuck does everyone call the theoretical higgs boson the "god" particle? from what i understood, it's the particle that is responsible for mass itself, how does that make it supernatural in any way (that's what the media is implying)?

Guest bitroast

if the theoretical higgs boson does exist, scientists believe it is likely to be a round little floating orb man who dresses in a white robe and has a big white beard.

Guest bitroast

so when the universe goes back in time to fix crappy things, does it create multiple co-existing universe (primer/back to the future style) or is it and always will be just one single universe on the time line even if it is self correcting?

was that a real news article? where can i find any sort of scientific evidence to support their retarded people-from-the-future theory?

also, why in the fuck does everyone call the theoretical higgs boson the "god" particle? from what i understood, it's the particle that is responsible for mass itself, how does that make it supernatural in any way (that's what the media is implying)?

my extremely limited understanding of it.... Because it is theoreticaly everywhere at once, but unobservable as god supposedly is.

Guest Super lurker ultra V12

The Higgs boson is often referred to as "the God particle" by the media, after the title of Leon Lederman's book, The God Particle: If the Universe Is the Answer, What Is the Question?. While use of this term may have contributed to increased media interest in particle physics and the Large Hadron Collider it is disliked by scientists as overstating the importance of the particle.

my extremely limited understanding of it.... Because it is theoreticaly everywhere at once, but unobservable as god supposedly is.

well it's not going to be unobservable if it exists at all. in fact, if something is unobservable (thru direct and indirect observation) it does not exist. how is it everywhere at once?

basically it's called the "god" particle because some media director decided that it's more exciting than higgs boson? sounds likely to me. it also sounds like people try and explain it through the name rather than the meaning.

Guest ezkerraldean

it was just an unimportant pet name until the press got hold of it and gave it loads of significance. think nothing of it. pisses me off when people think scientists are actually looking for supernatural things because of that damn name

Guest Funktion

in response to the universe thing, michio kaku believes that the multiverse is a load of clumps of universes together and as they tug and overlap we get the effects of dark matter/energy, or something, don't quote me on this, not sure how the many worlds interpretation of quantum physics comes into this though

well it's not going to be unobservable if it exists at all. in fact, if something is unobservable (thru direct and indirect observation) it does not exist. how is it everywhere at once?

basically it's called the "god" particle because some media director decided that it's more exciting than higgs boson? sounds likely to me. it also sounds like people try and explain it through the name rather than the meaning.

sorry, didn't mean to say at once... Implying it's a sole single particle... But it IS everywhere... We just haven't been able to observe it yet.

But they have done tests on electrons, showing they are indeed in multiple places at once. Just because we don't understand doesn't mean it's not true.... If we did understand it fully, we probably wouldn't be dicking around on watmm.... We'd be at MIT or something

I heard about this a while ago and I understood it as that, rather than time-traveller's coming back to sabotage the machine, the higgs-boson was so ever-present (throughout time too) that revealing it would cause itself to subsequently hide itself.

Confusing. Some sort of multiplicity shit going on. Maybe something like that actually would implode the universe.

It'd be pretty fucking insane if, but nothing else, this were to give us evidence of an actual time-traveller/time-travelling-device though. :sorcerer:

And when I say 'us' I wholly understand that such a thing would be hidden away, tested, locked in a vault and controlled only by the Illuminati. :shuriken:

Guest Super lurker ultra V12

sorry, didn't mean to say at once... Implying it's a sole single particle... But it IS everywhere... We just haven't been able to observe it yet.

But they have done tests on electrons, showing they are indeed in multiple places at once. Just because we don't understand doesn't mean it's not true.... If we did understand it fully, we probably wouldn't be dicking around on watmm.... We'd be at MIT or something

Apparently the field created by the boson is everywhere. I'm not really sure about what everywhere is.

in fact, if something is unobservable (thru direct and indirect observation) it does not exist.

does this mean that elementary particles didn't exist before quantum mechanics?

Their maths have prove it man.

yes.

Apparently the field created by the boson is everywhere. I'm not really sure about what everywhere is.

The Higgs Boson is the particle associated with the Higgs or quantum field due to wave/particle duality. This is the field from which everything arises. More in depth article here: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=what-exactly-is-the-higgs

Archived