IGNORED

New record label

Guest SecondaryCell

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Adjective

i thought this was silly at first, but this may actually be a nice place for female musicians to avoid the sausage and loneliness that would follow their posts on a different sort of network.

I thought that by saying i was attempting to be a curator of knowledge while defining a misspelled (or i guess now non existent word) would be clever. Since....it was supposed to be improvisation. Sadly, I am not very clever. The ensuing lol's from other watmmer's were worth it tho.

also, Brandi, i have never "flailed about" at a rave.

who do you think i am?

Morrissey?

If you were morrissey I would be sad every time i saw your posts. B/C he makes me melankaly.

Is there anything actually good on there? Has anyone bothered to check.

there will be as soon as i finish the track i'm preparing :spiteful:

Hah.

In other news, the best female electronic musician I've heard so far is Leila. Hecate sucks.

If it was feminist it would have some form of agenda of feminism I suppose. Which they don't appear to.

Also, I'm such a lush, I JUST NOW realized it's a label for ELECTRONIC MUSIC. :facepalm: I hadn't really looked at the website much.

I can get behind this idea. It *is* a lot different for female musicians in general, and especially electronic ones. Whenever I play weird, experimental acoustic guitar stuff live, I always get "people don't get that stuff, they just want to see you sit up there all pretty and sing some simple songs, not run through crazy scales and over abuse harmonics" etc. And then when I "dj" or whatever, laptop mix, Live ppl are always like "why aren't you singing?". BUt then again there is the advantage that a pretty girl does get more attention from both genders. Men "checking them out" or women "checking out their shoes, hair, makeup, etc" Not that I am calling myself one of these folks, but I see a lot of pretty girls/women at open mic nights that are not amazingly talented but get a lot of attention, it just happens. Also I always have a preference for soothing female vocals over aggressive male ones. But then again there's some guys that come in and play old style blue grass with that sooooooothing mountain accent in their singin' and that just ...mMMH! eases teh pain i suppose.

N-E way. I'm just sayin. Strength in numbers I suppose. I wish we could get a WATMM record label but there's too much of a power struggle, and being focused on the board, would be too much of teh dramz. But the more record labels the merrier I say. And the more organized the better I guess. For example there is a record label that has the name that I want but it's only had two releases since the 90's and is pretty much comepltely inactive. *shakes fist*

getting close to sini length *stops*

OH and one more thing to note I *do* have to admit (it is flaw in my personality I suppose) that I get a bit weirded out/jealous/a bit peeved when I see a girl with a micro korg, or just one synth and it's like OMG synth pop band all of a sudden. I have much more respect if they are playing pianos than pressing some notes on a tiny indie rock band keyboard.

I guess it comes from my own years of making music and actually dedicating many many many hours to learning modular synths, basic subtractive synthesis, fm, etc etc. Maybe that's why IDM is called IDM , cuz the artists all kinda feel like that. *Does a poll in the secret watmm forum where all your fav, warp and mu artists have accounts.*

Another funny thign to add is that I've learned that though I could walk up and patch a roland system 100 or an arp 2600, etc...that makes little difference if the music I make is dull (to me anyhow). Sometimes I think I just love synths and noises more than electronic music itself. I'll take Tchaikovsky over anything. But I have a love hate relationship with electronic music. I wish we could have another 1996-98 era. I blame car commercials.

*regrets this post already*

ah well...

*j/k

i luv u watmm

Guest SecondaryCell
so is this like a feminist emancipation thing or what

Not at all...

If it wasn't obvious already: yes, it's my label. Also, I'm male.

Here's the deal:

The idea for the label came to me about two years ago when I asked myself the simple question: where are all of the female performers, composers and musicians in electronic music? I wanted to hear the female perspective on this type of music. I also found this same question presented on several forums, but with few responses or answers.

So that was it: I discovered some female artists, but the idea of them being so obscure continued to stick in my brain. I kept thinking that there was a definite need for a central place where people could easily find information about female artists working in electronic music. Then six months ago the idea kept coming up in my mind, so I contacted my favorite female artists to see if any were interested in the project. Several weren't, and a couple had other label obligations, but the majority were into it - so here we are.

I *do* have to admit (it is flaw in my personality I suppose) that I get a bit weirded out/jealous/a bit peeved when I see a girl with a micro korg, or just one synth and it's like OMG synth pop band all of a sudden.

Yes, agreed... and that is not what this label is about. The FEM Records artists are intelligent and technically savvy - one has her Ph.D. and is a scientist in the field of astronomy, another has her Masters in Sound Art and is an instructor of Sound and Digital Arts at a local school. Still another has a technical position in the US branch of a huge Tokyo-based video game company. Further, almost all of them are creative in other areas such as painting, sculpting, photography, etc. - and they're not hacks, I'm talking seriously excellent work that we intend to feature on the site eventually.

I knew that the project would be the brunt of a lot of criticism, particularly in this forum. However, I believe that the label addresses a real need in the electronic music landscape. For those that think the idea is sexist, or that the content is crap, or whatever... simply ignore the site and don't listen to the music or look at the pics. Seek out the labels that you do enjoy and have an easier life.

Whenever I play weird, experimental acoustic guitar stuff live, I always get "people don't get that stuff, they just want to see you sit up there all pretty and sing some simple songs, not run through crazy scales and over abuse harmonics" etc.

have you got any of that stuff online? i'm really getting into crazy experimental acoustic guitar music.

Guest SecondaryCell

SecondaryCell - I would like to be on FEM Records. I make music and I am female. Can I send you some stuff?

You guys are amusing, I guess you must look at my post count and think that I just signed up. Actually, I've been reading WATMM every day for almost two years, but I only post when I feel that I have something to contribute (no rolling lols for me.) I have a fairly good understanding of the history and behavior of the regulars here (the Weed/Analog Wings debacle, Sini knowing that shooter, Beneboi's truck driving gig, the LTM hoopla, the Theocide/Lion banning ordeal. etc.)

Anyway, back to the topic of the thread:

klyxn_CD_konf2_120.jpg

klyxn - Konf/ac release date is October 26th. Hailing from Frankfurt, Germany klyxn blends dark, industrial noise with very melodic and ambient textures.

Archived