IGNORED

Four Tet - There Is Love in You

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes this is excellent, a return to form after the last one.

Which last one and where did you find it lacking? I don't know how either ringer or everything ecstatic could be considered a misstep

Nothing wrong with Ringer, I was referring to Everything Ecstatic. I'm a Four Tet fan, I would put Pause on a par with some of the best work of BoC or afx or ae. In fact when the first EPs were released in '98 it sounded as otherworldly as MHTRTC did. But I think I remember Kieron saying at the time, that EE was recorded very quickly, and that's what it sounded like. Not spontaneous, just a bit more time needed and some serious editing. I'm sure I also remember him saying that he'd borrowed a drum machine from Hot Chip for the album, maybe it was a joke riffing on the The Elliott School thing. Or maybe EE can be seen in the context of him finding his feet with new working methods/different sound.

I don't think Four Tet get's enough kudos. The first few albums were produced in a way that's very identifiably a contemporary 'computer music' method, and he started doing it back in the 90's as a teenager. The vast majority of bedroom producers at the time were still essentially using a conventional studio type set up, with maybe a pc either sequencing or at a push mutlitracking. He understood that the pc was now a big sampler there to manipulate digital audio.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/Jul03/articles/fourtet.asp

Edited by kakapo

The vinyl is sexy!

How is the packaging/art with the vinyl release?

The whole thing is top quality. Double 180g gatefold vinyl with decent artwork and an mp3 download for £13.99. Makes you wonder why Warp feel the need to charge £29.99 for more or less exactly the same.

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

angel echoes is a good opener. bit prefusey bit burial fourtet filter.

love cry repeating is just plain annoying. the trk otherwise is ok but that makes me grit my teeth.

circling is very nice.

sing is nice too. best so far

the unfolds - great flutage

i was a huge fan of pause and rounds, my interest wained on everythign ecstatic a bit, ringer i heard once. liked his stuff with steve reid. liked his burial colalb. liking this album too as a free download. not sure i need to own it though. skipping tracks ona CD is much easier to delete mp3. need to revisit ringer, i remember it being ok.

• 1 month later...

Yes it a great album.

On vinyl, the track Circling when the bass comes in at the end sounds so great. And is one reason why those who listen to mp3s alone should buy a turntable. Sounds a million times better via needle and wax.

Edited by beerwolf

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Glass Plate

any one heard the floating points remix of SING? pretty crazy. I hope more people start doing longer complicated pieces like this.

• 10 years later...
  • 2 months later...