IGNORED

the synths in paul mccartney's 'simply having a wonderful christmas time'

kaini

• 11 months later...

I think you mean best

When I was in my late teens I worked as a stocker in a retail store and I had to listen to Simply Having A Wonderful Christmas Time for months on end from September to December when inventory and customers were the worst. I ended up having a Pavlovian response of cortisol hormones flooding my body and images of screaming kids and angry adults howling for our non existent Tickle Me Elmos whenever I heard McCartney's chorused voice and his accompanying synthe stabs. The last year I was there they were running it on computer server rather than a cd deck so it could not be turned off and would loop every hour. It got to the point where I jumped over the manager's office divider walls and sabotaged the back of the P.A. system so they couldn't plug it back in and got reprimanded for it. Paul McCartney should be forced to fight ISIS on the ground level to redeem himself for this atrocity he inflicted upon the world. That and "Check my Machine."

It's a bad song.

I think you mean best

When I was in my late teens I worked as a stocker in a retail store and I had to listen to Simply Having A Wonderful Christmas Time for months on end from September to December when inventory and customers were the worst. I ended up having a Pavlovian response of cortisol hormones flooding my body and images of screaming kids and angry adults howling for our non existent Tickle Me Elmos whenever I heard McCartney's chorused voice and his accompanying synthe stabs. The last year I was there they were running it on computer server rather than a cd deck so it could not be turned off and would loop every hour. It got to the point where I jumped over the manager's office divider walls and sabotaged the back of the P.A. system so they couldn't plug it back in and got reprimanded for it. Paul McCartney should be forced to fight ISIS on the ground level to redeem himself for this atrocity he inflicted upon the world. That and "Check my Machine."

It's a bad song.

Rough... I have a similar retail-infused Pavlovian response to this song but my experiences weren't nearly as traumatic. Running seasonal music on a loop really should be made illegal by international worker rights laws.

I have deeper retail-muzak scars, though, from Elton John's "Step Into Christmas". The combination of terrible bleepy synth presets, awful singing, and the smug, alcoholic chord progression fills me with murderous rage. 

I think you mean best

It's a bad song.

Rough... I have a similar retail-infused Pavlovian response to this song but my experiences weren't nearly as traumatic. Running seasonal music on a loop really should be made illegal by international worker rights laws.

I have deeper retail-muzak scars, though, from Elton John's "Step Into Christmas". The combination of terrible bleepy synth presets, awful singing, and the smug, alcoholic chord progression fills me with murderous rage. 

I can't top these but I have a similar experience of hell associated with the Venga Boys song "We Like To Party." I worked at the Six Flags Amusement Park during the summer of 2005, at the height of their Mr. Six campaign. During the last month and a half of my job I had inadvertently been transferred to park services aka janitorial / sweeping duty which paid a little more than my previous but more enjoyable role as a roller coaster operator. I spend the late morning and afternoon mostly changing trash bags, checking bathroom TP roll stocks, sweeping up cigarette butts, and walking around. Except in the early morning...

...the early morning I was tasked with sweeping puddles. You read that correctly. See, overnight the park was literally washed down with fire engine size hoses by a crew of eclectic night shift folks. It's a lot of water and despite the Texas heat of 80 F without sun water doesn't elaborate quickly, especially in low spots on the concrete without drainage holes which were primarily located in the vast park entrance area that bridged the giant parking lots with the expansive ticket both area. So using a giant broom I pushed the puddles over the concrete to spread the water out so thin that it would practically evaporate in a minute or less as the morning sun rose. It was actually kind of enjoyable but the problem was the park entrance had a PA system that, before the park opened, simply played promo announcements on loop. So every 3-5 minutes I'd hear the same radio ad with Venga Boys song (actually not the whole song, just select bars of the song) over and over again. Making this worse was I lived in the UK from 1999-2001 so I was pretty sick of their entire catalog of near identical songs (we're going to Ibiza for example) as they were commonly played or adverted on tv there. 

Worst Christmas song ever. Even worse than Chipmunk's Christmas

I think you mean best

Those are some of the best worst Christmas songs ever. TBH WATMM actually made me appreciate this song. 

Also - fun fact - for months wikipedia's article on the song claimed it was the cause of death to dozens of Japanese college students when it was allegedly played on loop in their outside lobby. That detailed and lengthy paragraph was left in without citation for months.

I think you mean best

It's a bad song.

I can't top these but I have a similar experience of hell associated with the Venga Boys song "We Like To Party." I worked at the Six Flags Amusement Park during the summer of 2005, at the height of their Mr. Six campaign. During the last month and a half of my job I had inadvertently been transferred to park services aka janitorial / sweeping duty which paid a little more than my previous but more enjoyable role as a roller coaster operator. I spend the late morning and afternoon mostly changing trash bags, checking bathroom TP roll stocks, sweeping up cigarette butts, and walking around. Except in the early morning...

...the early morning I was tasked with sweeping puddles. You read that correctly. See, overnight the park was literally washed down with fire engine size hoses by a crew of eclectic night shift folks. It's a lot of water and despite the Texas heat of 80 F without sun water doesn't elaborate quickly, especially in low spots on the concrete without drainage holes which were primarily located in the vast park entrance area that bridged the giant parking lots with the expansive ticket both area. So using a giant broom I pushed the puddles over the concrete to spread the water out so thin that it would practically evaporate in a minute or less as the morning sun rose. It was actually kind of enjoyable but the problem was the park entrance had a PA system that, before the park opened, simply played promo announcements on loop. So every 3-5 minutes I'd hear the same radio ad with Venga Boys song (actually not the whole song, just select bars of the song) over and over again. Making this worse was I lived in the UK from 1999-2001 so I was pretty sick of their entire catalog of near identical songs (we're going to Ibiza for example) as they were commonly played or adverted on tv there. 

lol http://genius.com/5087075

I think you mean best

It's a bad song.

Holy fuck I feel bad for you. That is horrible and an even worse song. My condolences :(

Archived