Haitian Earthquake

Redruth

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

maybe Haiti is not the best example for what i was laying out

as far as simple structures are concerned. i also think tho that

we are jumping to conclusions about the quality of these simple

structures and the wisdom that was involved in building them.

a shack is different then a yurt or a tipi, also it depends where

you build it, what materials you use and the ecosystem you have

nurtured and sculpted to protect you and surround you.

i am tempted to think there is more then just the sheer power

of the natural world that is in the way of these people realizing

a lifestyle and infrastructure of full potential.

i think it is control by politicians, government, but also lack of knowledge.

The adoption and spread of bad systems, the lack of knowledge concerning what to plant and how to

create the resources they need from the land for food and to build the right kind of buildings. (hemp and bamboo for example)

alot of the world has these same problems. (i could go on and on)

Cuba has been doing this with organic agriculture for years now, but people

had to go in there and show them how to do it, how to change their

ways and create resources for themselves and build their economy

with true knowledge. (this is not an end point, but it is a start)

Solutions are possible with the truth :smile:

Organic Cuba

....and this

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

I'm playing the new PS3 exclusive "(Haitian) Quake 2010"

so insensitive, pretty sure this is ban worthy, get on it Joyrex

Yet you approved of it by posting a witty affirmation when he initially did it. FAIL

It was a political poke at the nazi ban regime. I was not serious obviously... hence my previous and continued approval of his insensitive joke.

admin fail I say

http://hodr.org/volunteer-info/

my brother worked with these guys in mississippi during Katrina and said they were great to work with. if you can afford to get yourself to Haiti they will pay for you to sleep and eat while you help out. alternately you can donate to their cause if you feel it's appropriate (i thought so).

orbitz says NYC to port au prince is at $833 right now. i'm sure it would be tax-deductible if you could show you did it to work with a 501©3.

Guest hahathhat

every time some bad shit happens somewhere the internet keeps joggling my shoulder, hey man, donate $5. well, i don't got $5, i got my own problems and no one has a donation box set up for me, i would have missed this whole thing if i didn't turn on my computer for a week. if i donate $5, $4 of it goes to middleman saving up for a vacation. if i fly out there on my own dime to help, likely the locals will beat me up and steal my shoes. honestly, i feel aggrivated society expects me to give a shit. i have to hold back my real thoughts and tell lies so people won't get pissed at me... these blowhards donate $5 and feel like they're saving the world, then forget about haiti faster than i do. two weeks ago, most americans probably couldn't even spell "haiti", and in about a month or three, the status quo will resume.

i feel better now. like i just took a dump

blanket fort collapse please stop bringing pat robertson to our attention. his absolutely ludicrous thoughts are not even worth paying attention to. By any of us giving him the time of day, we are in some small way legitimizing his bullshit, when he should completely ignored.

I donated $200 to Partners in Health, who have already have a working infrastructure of hospitals in Haiti, and just sent 4,000 more workers down to the island today. I strongly encourage other people to do the same! (Also they don't have bullshit religious dogma that comes with some service providers)

i also donated $60 to the dr lopez wants an oversteps vinyl LE too :tongue:

pat robertson is a fraud, he is part of why no one wants to pay

attention to God anymore .....because pricks like pat pass themselves

off as knowing why everything is happening and what God wants.

well look at the fucking guy, do you think God is going to tell him a fucking thing?

pat is a big pile of steaming shit.

(and that is a very christian thing for me to say)

I feel really bad for the people. It is very saddening to see catastrophes like this in Haiti and around the world.

I will say this, however, and that is that I wonder if any of the kidnappers, human traffickers, and gang lords that have dominated this region will be moved to give any of their monies gained by ransom, prositution or other means to help their own people that have been affected by this.

I think charitable organizations should send money regardless, but should also put out a challenge to these people to maybe match them dollar for dollar (of course they would not, but sometimes just saying something sends enough of a message)? I also think that the aid we send should be managed somehow, maybe through some presence we place inside Haiti, to ensure it doesn't just end up in the hands of these gangs and actually goes towards humanitarian aid.

I feel really bad for the people. It is very saddening to see catastrophes like this in Haiti and around the world.

I will say this, however, and that is that I wonder if any of the kidnappers, human traffickers, and gang lords that have dominated this region will be moved to give any of their monies gained by ransom, prositution or other means to help their own people that have been affected by this.

I think charitable organizations should send money regardless, but should also put out a challenge to these people to maybe match them dollar for dollar (of course they would not, but sometimes just saying something sends enough of a message)? I also think that the aid we send should be managed somehow, maybe through some presence we place inside Haiti, to ensure it doesn't just end up in the hands of these gangs and actually goes towards humanitarian aid.

bravo!

brilliantly stated and well received. :smile:

it is amazing how much of an effect just saying something can have.

words are powerful things.

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

blanket fort collapse please stop bringing pat robertson to our attention. his absolutely ludicrous thoughts are not even worth paying attention to. By any of us giving him the time of day, we are in some small way legitimizing his bullshit, when he should completely ignored.

I thought it was funny but I see where your coming from, I sorries

Archived