IGNORED

Fred McGriff

• Replies 757
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah, all this thread makes me think of is my friends who work at Weta, and how they'll all have great job security now and be able to buy a cheap NZ home. Fuckers. :emotawesomepm9:

yeah but remember they'll be living in New Zealand. The only thing available to fuck there is sheep.

Possibly some chickens, but mostly sheep.

The whole film is fairly retarded. You've done very well with your pessimism to have avoided it so far, Dan.

It's not a very good film, it clunks and groans, but it is an incredibly well-crafted form of business. The 3D effects are ensuring that it rakes in the money, whilst the simple dialogue makes it accessible world-wide.

Considering that cinema is going the way of the music industry with increasing piracy, it's an achievement to gross so much for a sci-fi film.

It won't be going away though. Get ready for a decade of Avatar.

LOL, foreign people are stupid.

The whole film is fairly retarded. You've done very well with your pessimism to have avoided it so far, Dan.

It's not a very good film, it clunks and groans, but it is an incredibly well-crafted form of business. The 3D effects are ensuring that it rakes in the money, whilst the simple dialogue makes it accessible world-wide.

Considering that cinema is going the way of the music industry with increasing piracy, it's an achievement to gross so much for a sci-fi film.

Everybody seems offended when I say that. I just mean that simple dialogue will be easier to translate without losing any meaning and should jar less with voiceovers.

Everybody seems offended when I say that. I just mean that simple dialogue will be easier to translate without losing any meaning and should jar less with voiceovers.

this is actually a good point. i watched a foreign translation of the movie juno two summers ago and it was horribly mangled. it made an already terrible film even worse, because every american slang word was pretty much replaced with the word "fuck." and the script is like eighty percent "hip" slang. so yeah. avatar is very simplistic in terms of dialogue. they basically say variations of "badass" and "i see you" like a million times. can't mess that up.

he meant fuck for money lumpy

i dunno, I hear sheep are pretty stingy

good point, and they don't take kindly to people trying to play them for fools. They DO accept alternative forms of payment however. AFX traded a weekend romp with the sheep for a chance to be on an album cover. He doesn't think we know how it works. Maybe you can make a short animation for it. It will be worth it.

In markets like China, Japan and Korea, they use subtitles.

In Korea, it's quite weird, I've seen translations of really hard philosophical stuff done very well, but then seen them fuck up on simple translated bits.

And I don't know how you can say that cinema is going the way of the music industry with piracy, they set box office records last year.

here in mexico they show both subtitled and dubbed versions at the same time (it's amazing how quick they can produce a dubbed version these days). the dubs are usually horrible, but apparently people can't read or something so they are popular.

i went to see avatar today, and was very entertained.

yes, the plot could have been pieced together out of refrigerator-magnets with key words on them, manipulated by a retarded five year-old. but good god, it is a feast for the eyes. i didn't get any uncanny valley sorta shit really, unlike a lot of people - it's the first bit of tech i've been pretty much blown away by in a long time. my favourite 3d bits were subtle things, like wood particles or the little space-jellyfish floating in the air.

it is what it is, i didn't get the least bit bored despite it being the bones of three hours. if you want a deep plot go to something else, but if you want to suspend your brain and just be blown away by fucking amazing visuals for a couple of hours it's well worth the money.

although i did lol at the fact that michelle rodriguez and giovanni ribisi's characters were basically carbon copies of vazquez and burke out of aliens. and a scene featuring sigourney weaver's avatar chainsmoking fags better be on the dvd.

fuck! trashbear is back! :trashbear:

hey Karmakramer, Avatar's over. I suggest moving the hype machine to the Oversteps thread in the AE forum.

and talk about track titles? no thanks, I'll wait till I can actually listen to something. Besides lumpenprol, Cameron's work on Avatar has only begun, with a trilogy on the way, WATMM for better or worse, is just getting a taste of what's to come.

I vote we create an Avatar subforum, and ensure that only Karmakramer can post in it : D

p.s.

YourRealLegsSmall.jpg

Archived