IGNORED

Explanations please

beerwolf

Something I don't understand. Perhaps some you great pillars of knowledge would be able to explain?

Before I started listening to IDM or whatever you want to call it, I used to listen to a lot guitar based music. Why is it that if listen to Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, Metallica, Slayer, Napalm Death, Soundgarden or Rancid you can quite easily buy 99% of all their music they have released and yet electronic artists seem to play this secret squirrel game of hide and seek? For a few examples the unknown Squarepusher track that Aphex played in 2002, why don't he just release it? There's the Gescom stuff on Skam, the Autechre mix that a WATMM posted a few weeks back and will proberbly never see the light of day. There's proberbly dozens (if not hundreds) of cool tracks which you just can't buy and the artists or labels don't seem to be to bothered either.

Is it just the nature/culture of electronic music? What's the reasoning behind it? I mean most other (if not all) genres of music if you like an artist or band you go to Amazon and buy all their music LoL. Simple as. Or is Aphex, Boards, Skam etc just planning their retirement funds because in 20 years time they will release box sets of everything they have done to the tune of a few thousand pounds each LoL.

So why all the cloak and dagger? I reckon I might be risking sounding like a fool but it intrigues me. Ahhh perhaps I have just answered my own question! Would be interested in your thoughts.

Guest uptowndevil

that's one of my favorite things about the genre. the deeper you dive into it, the more you are rewarded. there's nothing like finding a limited pressing 7" of a few tracks that will never even make their way to soulseek, not to mention itunes or amazon. once i finally obtain one of these little artifacts, i drag it off into my music cave where it will enter only a select few sets of ears.

like the dragon says, 'Get your pile of gold and sit on it.'

grendel1.jpg

I think of all the obscure unreleased tracks as being sort of like electronic music's equivalent to when rock bands play outrageous reinterpretations of their songs in concert, & it only shows up on bootlegs.

I think Afx and Pusher are probably so hard on themselves and their own work that they're rarely satisfied with much of it, meaning alot of their music doesn't ever see a release.

Same with alot of artists i would imagine

Archived