why is cheese so god damned expensive?

Guest Helper ET

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest JohnTqs

free-posters-cabot-cheese.jpg

best cheese in the world, 30 minutes away

It's alright for American cheddar, but, really, no. You gots ta branch out!

excuse me, i'm just representin

Guest margaret thatcher

i made panini the other day. it had celery walnut pesto, mesquite smoked turkey, pickles, and loads of goat cheese. it was OUT OF CONTROL WITH FLAVOR

you're my boy, fred

*wipes a tear*

after fred's various stilton threads (i think the last was about his toenail or something) I went out and promised myself that I'd return with some fucking stilton cheese.

anyway long story short it was $25 for a tiny amount of cheese so I couldn't do it.

lolwut

i can get a fucking decent lump of stilton for EUR5

srsly. 8 euro buys me a kilo of young gouda, and 5 euro a kilo of mozzarella. both lowest quality obviously (the mozzarella being rubbery curd). i'd live off cheese and bread in the inevitable event of apocalypse.

ET you might just be on to something though... have you managed to uncover any other hints as to exactly WHY they made your cheese so expensive ..what could their motives be??

srsly. 8 euro buys me a kilo of young gouda, and 5 euro a kilo of mozzarella. both lowest quality obviously (the mozzarella being rubbery curd). i'd live off cheese and bread in the inevitable event of apocalypse.

ET you might just be on to something though... have you managed to uncover any other hints as to exactly WHY they made your cheese so expensive ..what could their motives be??

you're in holland innit? you guys can't turn a corner without encountering a sweet cheese shop or market that sells lovely local regional stuff, even albert heijn has a very good selection compared to its equivalent over here.

we have European cheeses here in america. You just have to go to places like wholefoods. We know more than you think. All cause we have that american cheese stuff as our delegate around the world

after fred's various stilton threads (i think the last was about his toenail or something) I went out and promised myself that I'd return with some fucking stilton cheese.

anyway long story short it was $25 for a tiny amount of cheese so I couldn't do it.

lolwut

i can get a fucking decent lump of stilton for EUR5

franklin, that's absurd! the MOST i've ever seen a stilton, or any cheese for that matter, was around $40 a pound, which means you can get a good wedge of thatfor under 10 bucks. there are plenty of amazing blues for half that if you go to a specialty cheese shop. and plenty of decent ones for much less as well.

we have European cheeses here in america. You just have to go to places like wholefoods. We know more than you think. All cause we have that american cheese stuff as our delegate around the world

whole foods is ok but you really have to look up a cheese shop in your city. it'll make whole foods seem like they're slanging kraft singles and powdered parmesan.

americanized cheese is indeed embarassing. it's like europeanized hip hop. but the good stuff is here, and there are plenty of people who like the good stuff. cheese travels well.

Seriously. And there are of course great artisan cheeses made in America, too. I'd be willing to bet the Rogue Creamery stuff mentioned earlier is pretty delicious, but there's a whole lot more where that came from.

Ragging on American cheeses (not "American Cheese") is like ragging on American beers-- it absolutely doesn't hold up if you're willing to look beyond the mega-marketed, industrialized shit.

Anyone else think "cheese" is a fucking gross sounding word?

cottage cheese is totally the best as it is actually the healthiest cheese for you to eat and contains a lot of protein

Cottage_Cheese.jpg

i eat a ton of it definitely try to limit my intake of other less healthy cheeses

americanized cheese is indeed embarassing. it's like europeanized hip hop. but the good stuff is here, and there are plenty of people who like the good stuff. cheese travels well.

americanized cheese reminds me of americanized beer. there are all sorts of nice little microbreweries making some tasty-ass beer, just as there are i am sure all sorts of excellent cheeseries knocking out real local stuff. but with both, i have so much more available more easily and closer to home

i was surprised how nice cashel blue is. it's like a dub version of stilton.

last year we went to Tillamook on the coast and saw the cheese factory in action... it was just like this:

13042995_35b5a8b57e.jpg

it's probably expensive because of the culturing process. and because they need a Rabbi to run the factory and make sure everything is kosher. this isn't the same rabbi but he's got a better look:

elyashiv-rav-yosef-shalom-photo-c-2009-mattis-goldberg-used-with-permission-2.jpg

not until you have lived in japan could you appreciate how expensive cheese actually is. you have no idea...

Y'all are lactose intolerant anyway.

(Okay, maybe not you hexy)

Archived