IGNORED

ok watmm, i'm gonna watch Blade Runner

delet...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

syd mead is great, he worked on blade runner, aliens and tron.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/x-ray_delta_one/sets/72157622906191929/

syd-mead-3.jpg

torus.jpg

alien.jpg

not too keen on the font they use on the side of police spinners in bl, looks like a bad wim crouwel font

police_spiner.gif

also the building which tsebastian lives in is stunning

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bradbury_Building

interesting and sad

"Scott had previously declined the project, but after leaving the slow production of Dune, wanted a faster-paced project to take his mind off his older brother's recent death."

i love blade runner.

You obviously don't love it enough: J.S. Sebastian

not too keen on the font they use on the side of police spinners in bl, looks like a bad wim crouwel font

police_spiner.gif

The font kicks arse. It's like somebody draw over a super-jpeg-compressed 8pt font zoomed in 1600x

Guest 277: 930-933

I just read the book last week. Fucking fantastic it was.

I'm in love with the movie but can't seem to get past the first few chapters in the book for some reason. Tried about three times now.

I'm in love with the movie but can't seem to get past the first few chapters in the book for some reason. Tried about three times now.

That's how I feel about every Philip K. Dick book

syd mead is great, he worked on blade runner, aliens and tron.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/x-ray_delta_one/sets/72157622906191929/

syd-mead-3.jpg

torus.jpg

alien.jpg

police_spiner.gif

also the building which tsebastian lives in is stunning

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bradbury_Building

interesting and sad

"Scott had previously declined the project, but after leaving the slow production of Dune, wanted a faster-paced project to take his mind off his older brother's recent death."

i love blade runner.

You obviously don't love it enough: J.S. Sebastian

piiiiiicky

police_spiner.gif

The font kicks arse. It's like somebody draw over a super-jpeg-compressed 8pt font zoomed in 1600x

okay, by its self its okay, but when its in the film it sticks out like a sore thumb, its to round bubbly for blade runner me thinks!

yes the book dosent pick up straight away, but its worth putting the effort in to read the whole thing.

which other pkd books have you tried to read sqee? have you tried ubik or clans of the alphane moon? both of those are very good and very weird. the intergalactic pot healer is also ace.

which other pkd books have you tried to read sqee? have you tried ubik or clans of the alphane moon? both of those are very good and very weird. the intergalactic pot healer is also ace.

I tried reading A Scanner Darkly but my mind kept wandering.

Also, I think it's hard getting into Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep once you've watched Blade Runner

because I wanted the book to be like the movie and then it starts out with Deckard being an android or something and he's married to Rachel

and I was like :trashbear: ...and then I was like :pedobear:

Guest 277: 930-933

For me it seemed to have too much of a cliche SF vibe to it which is probably a really weird thing to say.

I was considering trying 'The Man in the High Castle' but you don't give me too much hope, Squee.

he's my new fave author i think atm. I read this one, ubik, and scanner darkly. great stufffffff.

Also, I think it's hard getting into Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep once you've watched Blade Runner

because I wanted the book to be like the movie and then it starts out with Deckard being an android or something and he's married to Rachel

errr try again....

I tried reading A Scanner Darkly but my mind kept wandering.

yeah a scanner darkly can get quite confusing, requires 2 readings i think.

yeah i know you what you mean, its quite a shock how different it is, and he isn't married to rachel, he's married to iran (?), i loved the whole mood box part, and the police station with all the androids and and and MY GOD JUST REREAD IT MAN AND PUT SOME EFFORT INT FINISHING IT! if you haven't

For me it seemed to have too much of a cliche SF vibe to it which is probably a really weird thing to say.

I was considering trying 'The Man in the High Castle' but you don't give me too much hope, Squee.

if 'the man..; if your frist pkd book its not the best place to start as it can be a difficult book to read, hard to follow, but worth putting the effort in to read it as it is very rewarding, start with one of the two i mentioned above, ubik or clans of the alphane moon. yes his books will come across as cliched at first, his writings in paticular about technology are a bit off and 60's, but i suppose at the time it wasn't seen as cliche and people copying him is how it became a cliche.

The film does move slowly, but you have to give it a bit of time. If you're not into atmosphere, then you might not like this movie. I feel the atmosphere in the film is very immersive and complete.

I like the book a lot. I'm actually collecting the graphic novel issues right now.

The film does move slowly, but you have to give it a bit of time. If you're not into atmosphere, then you might not like this movie. I feel the atmosphere in the film is very immersive and complete.

I like the book a lot. I'm actually collecting the graphic novel issues right now.

what number are they up to? i picked up the first one and was not so hot on the artwork (because it didn't live up to the film)

maybe i should give it another go.

the movie is all about atmosphere, if you're hoping for some mind blowing scifi storytelling or science fiction concepts you havent thought of before this is not the movie for you. It's basically a very stylized noir that takes place in the future.

when i saw it when i was younger i couldn't appreciate it because it just seemed like a really straight forward non surprising plot of a guy hunting done escaped robots

what number are they up to? i picked up the first one and was not so hot on the artwork (because it didn't live up to the film)

maybe i should give it another go.

It's up to eight this month. The artwork does start off kind of rocky, but I got used to it after a couple issues. Well, it's either I got used to it, or it got better. I'm hammered right now, so I can't give you a definitive. Just fucking read it.

torus.jpg

more or less the greatest image ever. so warm and tasty. incredible!

(really reminds me of this space colony stuff, also amazing)

oh lol, LOLS AT ME. it's the same thing.

its so good, i love the idea of a massive ship floating in space with a full grown forest insde it, sort of like silent runner

silent.running.domes.m.jpg

john berkey is great too, you probably know him,

berkey2.jpg

berkey6.jpg

berkey9.jpg

dean ellis as well

high.wire.jpg

good sci-fi blog

My link

1982_blade_runner_the_final_cut_001.jpg[/img]

the opening shot i love, with the fire balls, not feeling very articulate today.

:beer: PKD is one of the very worst writers I've read. His ideas sort of make up for it, depending on how charitable you're feeling...

PKD is not about his writing, it's about his state of mind. He's the IDM of litterature.

He's part of the Library of America collection now, so they have quite accepted his position in litterature history. I suggest everybody to get the 3 volumes, they are really nice.

2800 pages of PKD in hardcover small books for thirty bucks!

Guest tht tne

i really enjoyed the man in the high castle but i haven't read too much beyond that... something about valis i believe and a few others, i don't read much anymore

i had a blade runner dream the other night, about how i was supposed to protect some kid from some bad people, and i went outside the house to see if everything was ok, and in the distance, across some big river or lake, i saw those fire spitting chimneys from the opening scene, and totally forgot about protecting the kid, i just stood there in awe, watching, and thinking "holy shit im in the opening scene of blade runner!". it was probably the most awesome thing that happend to me in a dream in a good while.

then the kid turned into a crab for some reason and i threw it into the river, but it bounced against some rocks and died. :mellow:

just thought you should know.

Archived