IGNORED

Hardware Sequencers

wahrk

Hi dear EKT, here's a noob in need of advices.

Well, I want to start having a little "home-studio" to make some tunes. I already own a synth (Novation Xio49), which satisfies me entirely, and a sampler (Yamaha SU-700) which is broken and really sucks (I can't even save my work).

So I'm looking to a machine that works as a sampler/sequencer/rhythm box. After having read this thread it seems that there is some "rivalry" between MPCs and Electribes (but please note that I don't want to start a troll at all).

After few searches on the Internet, I still don't manage to make a choice between those machines (and maybe another). I can afford an MPC 1000, but I just wanna know if it worth the price, how it functions and other usefull informations - same questions with the Electribe. Could you please help me on those points ?

Since I actually own a synth, the synth-functions of the blue Electribe don't interest me...I want to do some "good" tracks only using my synth, this machine and a maybe a few more gear. What are you recommendations ??

EDIT : I forgot to mention that I want to work as much as possible with hardware, since I never managed to create something acceptable w/ software ^^ Don't know if that's an important point in the choice of the gear, but...

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well it seems to offer so many possibilities that I don't even see how I could use it...Don't really know if it's a good sampler, a good sequencer, maybe both ? And I absolutely don't know how it works, a shop-handler once told me that it was kinda hard to use and not good for a beginner (though I know that I'll somehow have to learn something).

I'm afraid of buying a machine that wouldn't allow me to do what I want - different tunes in various genres. So could you explain me how I could use an MPC 1000 ? I know that's a large question, but I didn't found any answer yet, so...

Guest SampleScience

The MPC have a full sequencer built in to control other hardwares synths & drum machine? How's the interface like, is it grid based or tracker style (or something else)? And how many midi outputs does it have?

the mpc is a great midi sequencer, yeah. I use it mainly for that. it has two midi outs and two ins. when I sequence stuff I record it live with the pads / midi keyboard and prefer it that way. it's easy to go in and edit grid edit mode and shit. I'm not sure if the standard Akai OS has that, I use the free JJ OS (http://www7a.biglobe.ne.jp/~mpc1000/). very easy to install.

about the sequencer. basically you have patterns which in itself has 64 tracks that can either be midi or audio. you can have like 99 patterns or something in a song. the song sequencer is really easy to use as well. it's like:

Pattern 1 Play 2 times

Pattern 2 Play 1 time

Pattern 1 Play 9 times

Pattern 5 Play 1 time

edit however you like. I have used the sampler a few times (I've only had the mpc for 2-3 weeks). mainly to sample drum sounds I make on my analog synths or sounds from other drum machines. it's pretty easy to figure out. when you've sampled your drum sounds you can bundle them all into a program (kinda like a drum rack in Ableton) and save for later use. you can make whatever kind of music you want on it, but I would rather use a pc if my goal was to make really complex DSP heavy idm shizzle.

edit: if you wanna know how to sample and chop and shit like that there's a TON of vids on youtube. actually, every MPC video on youtube seems to be about hiphop (which I personally don't make).

Guest SampleScience

Thanks, that clears things out. I would use one for live performance for stability & obviously for the pads!

• 4 years later...

Bump? how many watmmers are using a hardware sequencer today?

I started using a MPC500 something like 2 or 3 months ago and it's like I'm discovering a new world but I'm not completely convinced by this unit. It provides more or less everything I need, but the whole way you have to use it doesn't suit me that well, hard to explain why. Anyway, I thought about getting something else.

Actually I have the possibility of getting a Roland MC50 mk2 with two MIDI thru boxes, a case and other accessories for something like 70€. Sounds cheap although I've no idea how much it's supposed to cost. But this box looks slightly limited, 8 MIDI tracks doesn't sounds like a lot.

I have to go through some manuals of models which I think might suit my needs anyway, but if any of you have some general advice on choosing an old hardware sequencer just let me know!

ps: but please don't give me "buy an Elektron [insert lush Elektron unit here]" because I have no money. My birthday is in about one month and the maximum price I could think of giving for it would be like 200€.

Bump? how many watmmers are using a hardware sequencer today?

I started using a MPC500 something like 2 or 3 months ago and it's like I'm discovering a new world but I'm not completely convinced by this unit. It provides more or less everything I need, but the whole way you have to use it doesn't suit me that well, hard to explain why. Anyway, I thought about getting something else.

Actually I have the possibility of getting a Roland MC50 mk2 with two MIDI thru boxes, a case and other accessories for something like 70€. Sounds cheap although I've no idea how much it's supposed to cost. But this box looks slightly limited, 8 MIDI tracks doesn't sounds like a lot.

I have to go through some manuals of models which I think might suit my needs anyway, but if any of you have some general advice on choosing an old hardware sequencer just let me know!

ps: but please don't give me "buy an Elektron [insert lush Elektron unit here]" because I have no money. My birthday is in about one month and the maximum price I could think of giving for it would be like 200€.

I'm using Elektrons :)

Also I have an MPC1000 I use occasionally and it so happens that I have a Roland MC50mkII collecting dust somewhere around here.

The MC50mkII is from a different era. I had some fun with it in 2001 using it with my Yamaha DJX, TR626, and TX81Z at the time. I attempted using it with an RY30 too but I don't remember how that went. For what it is, it's nice. You can record/enter whatever kind of event you want and you get a lot of editing control over the events. But its looping capability is pretty awkward & basic. It's not what I'd reach for to set up a fat groove or funky jam. If I were ever to dust it off and use it it would probably be as kind of an exercise to see how I work without looping capabilities. Or maybe playing with the step sequencer. Also it would be a passable sysex librarian but the MPC (or better yet computer) would be better for that.

Now I don't know what's rubbing you the wrong way about the MPC500 but my recommendation would be to think long and hard about that, maybe take some exploratory notes after your sessions with it. Because when I compare the MC to the MPC, I see the basically MPC kicking the MC's ass at everything it does, with maybe one or two very minor exceptions (I do like the MC's metronome better but that's why I sampled it). I could list the specs here but we all have google search. And then the MPC has a sampler attached to it. Granted I have a different model of MPC, and I remember it felt pretty lame until I got JJOS installed. So that might be the way to go, and you might even be able to find one in your budget.

Otherwise you might check out an RM1X. I used to want one really bad and I've heard a lot of good about them. Instead of the sampler built into the MPC you'll get a ROMpler full of dated dance-oriented sounds.

i use a qy700 its ok

there's one lying unused in a humid room in the space where I do music band recordings, it belongs to the man with whom we're sharing the space and I didn't dare to ask him to try it because I already borrowed a reverb from him (so much unused stuff in this room, pretty crazy). The unit might not work though because it stands on the table where all the tools for making DIY are.

But this sequencer looks great. Can't afford it though, that's also why I didn't ask to try it already. don't hesitate to share more on your experience with it if you like!

Also I have an MPC1000 I use occasionally and it so happens that I have a Roland MC50mkII collecting dust somewhere around here.

The MC50mkII is from a different era. I had some fun with it in 2001 using it with my Yamaha DJX, TR626, and TX81Z at the time. I attempted using it with an RY30 too but I don't remember how that went. For what it is, it's nice. You can record/enter whatever kind of event you want and you get a lot of editing control over the events. But its looping capability is pretty awkward & basic. It's not what I'd reach for to set up a fat groove or funky jam. If I were ever to dust it off and use it it would probably be as kind of an exercise to see how I work without looping capabilities. Or maybe playing with the step sequencer. Also it would be a passable sysex librarian but the MPC (or better yet computer) would be better for that.

Now I don't know what's rubbing you the wrong way about the MPC500 but my recommendation would be to think long and hard about that, maybe take some exploratory notes after your sessions with it. Because when I compare the MC to the MPC, I see the basically MPC kicking the MC's ass at everything it does, with maybe one or two very minor exceptions (I do like the MC's metronome better but that's why I sampled it). I could list the specs here but we all have google search. And then the MPC has a sampler attached to it. Granted I have a different model of MPC, and I remember it felt pretty lame until I got JJOS installed. So that might be the way to go, and you might even be able to find one in your budget.

Otherwise you might check out an RM1X. I used to want one really bad and I've heard a lot of good about them. Instead of the sampler built into the MPC you'll get a ROMpler full of dated dance-oriented sounds.

I was expecting for such an answer regarding MPC / MC50 comparison. The thing is, I don't really need the sampler part of the MPC500 (I don't like the workflow that much and I like my Electribe SX for that anyway ; regarding the workflow, it could be better now I'm more used to go through tons of menus on hardware units but well even if it's capable of more than the Electribe at least in terms of going off-beat it does seem to be far away from the spontaneity of the ESX. ESX is very basic but I never stopped using it since I got it somehow).

As for the sequencing side, like I said it actually has everything I need but I still find it hard to use sometimes. But I think it's more like a sum of tiny drawbacks than one or two big issues. For example, I'm trying to perform my tracks live with it and I find that the way of switching patterns sucks (pressing sequence and then using this horrible data wheel). After I changed of pattern, I have to press a button to make the pads available for track mutes again (which is very important in how I use it, but having to press this little button every time just seems annoying when you have tons of other things to do in real time). For some reason the tap tempo is shit. Everything about saving / loading stuff gives me headaches. etc..

The first thing I looked for when first tried the MPC was to check for an alternative OS but apparently there's none for this model. But hey it's already great to use this box anyway, I'm just looking for some improvement because I want to go further into that hardware sequencing direction. Maybe the 500 is the cheap model of the series and what I'd need is a more consequent model.

i use a qy700 its ok

there's one lying unused in a humid room in the space where I do music band recordings, it belongs to the man with whom we're sharing the space and I didn't dare to ask him to try it because I already borrowed a reverb from him (so much unused stuff in this room, pretty crazy). The unit might not work though because it stands on the table where all the tools for making DIY are.

But this sequencer looks great. Can't afford it though, that's also why I didn't ask to try it already. don't hesitate to share more on your experience with it if you like!

oh sorry I was talking about the RS7000 (sequencer names are still mysterious to me)

Circlons are delivered every three months or so. Just get on the waiting list. If you have a ton of cash, of course.

is there anything on par with them in hardware?

I was expecting for such an answer regarding MPC / MC50 comparison. The thing is, I don't really need the sampler part of the MPC500 (I don't like the workflow that much and I like my Electribe SX for that anyway ; regarding the workflow, it could be better now I'm more used to go through tons of menus on hardware units but well even if it's capable of more than the Electribe at least in terms of going off-beat it does seem to be far away from the spontaneity of the ESX. ESX is very basic but I never stopped using it since I got it somehow).

As for the sequencing side, like I said it actually has everything I need but I still find it hard to use sometimes. But I think it's more like a sum of tiny drawbacks than one or two big issues. For example, I'm trying to perform my tracks live with it and I find that the way of switching patterns sucks (pressing sequence and then using this horrible data wheel). After I changed of pattern, I have to press a button to make the pads available for track mutes again (which is very important in how I use it, but having to press this little button every time just seems annoying when you have tons of other things to do in real time). For some reason the tap tempo is shit. Everything about saving / loading stuff gives me headaches. etc..

The first thing I looked for when first tried the MPC was to check for an alternative OS but apparently there's none for this model. But hey it's already great to use this box anyway, I'm just looking for some improvement because I want to go further into that hardware sequencing direction. Maybe the 500 is the cheap model of the series and what I'd need is a more consequent model.

The sampler is a really nice bonus, though. It makes perfect sense to have one coupled with a sequencer the way the MPC does it. This lets you resample your other gear to effectively give you more tracks of it.

JJOS gives you a screen where you can select the pattern with a pad. Obviously this only goes up to 64 patterns but it is really handy and intuitive. It has similar screens for track mutes and pad mutes too. You do have to push some buttons to get to these screens, though, and it sounds like you're not into that. Every hardware sequencer I've used has had some similar mechanism for switching tasks like this. Maybe a software sequencer would meet your needs better.

The ESX does seem very spontaneous. Not having used one, other than mashing random buttons on my buddy's, could you tell me what it's missing sequencing-wise that you're looking for?

The sampler is a really nice bonus, though. It makes perfect sense to have one coupled with a sequencer the way the MPC does it. This lets you resample your other gear to effectively give you more tracks of it.

JJOS gives you a screen where you can select the pattern with a pad. Obviously this only goes up to 64 patterns but it is really handy and intuitive. It has similar screens for track mutes and pad mutes too. You do have to push some buttons to get to these screens, though, and it sounds like you're not into that. Every hardware sequencer I've used has had some similar mechanism for switching tasks like this. Maybe a software sequencer would meet your needs better.

The ESX does seem very spontaneous. Not having used one, other than mashing random buttons on my buddy's, could you tell me what it's missing sequencing-wise that you're looking for?

regarding the use of the sampler : never thought about it that way - like you say it makes perfect sense, I totally see the possibilities it offers.

the thing with having to push a button in order to enter the mod where the pads mute tracks is not that a big deal, I just thought it would be convenient not having this function messing up with the way you switch from one sequence to another. When performing a track live, changing of sequences and muting tracks are the two lead roles of the MPC in my current setup and I just find irritating having to first select the corresponding mode for both of these functions. But as I wrote, it's more my general feeling about the workflow on that unit which makes me think about getting something else. Several times, I read on internet people commenting on MPC's OS and saying that the original one is quite tedious compared to the JJOS so I suppose that confirms how I feel about it. I should read the manual of a JJOS and see how it's different exactly. But then I'd have to go for a bigger MPC and I'm not sure I have the money for that right now.

I'm not willing to discover anything new yet software wise, I was actually quite happy with my Reaper/Renoise/Reaktor combo but I want to take a break for that now and put the computer aside.

I love my ESX for what I ask it to do (relatively simple beats) but it just can't control my other synths because it just has two mono "synth" tracks (and I'm generally using those two tracks with the internal sounds). Its sequencer is very basic (quite limited resolution and pattern length) and it clearly limits me on the beats side but it's a nice exercise to push it in its limits, and I can use the time and energy I'm not spending on the complexity of the beats in other aspects of the music.

As for the unit sequencing the other synths, I need something more powerful yet still providing spontaneity. Something convenient for live performance because I'd like to write tracks which I can perform live at the moment.

regarding the use of the sampler : never thought about it that way - like you say it makes perfect sense, I totally see the possibilities it offers.

the thing with having to push a button in order to enter the mod where the pads mute tracks is not that a big deal, I just thought it would be convenient not having this function messing up with the way you switch from one sequence to another. When performing a track live, changing of sequences and muting tracks are the two lead roles of the MPC in my current setup and I just find irritating having to first select the corresponding mode for both of these functions. But as I wrote, it's more my general feeling about the workflow on that unit which makes me think about getting something else. Several times, I read on internet people commenting on MPC's OS and saying that the original one is quite tedious compared to the JJOS so I suppose that confirms how I feel about it. I should read the manual of a JJOS and see how it's different exactly. But then I'd have to go for a bigger MPC and I'm not sure I have the money for that right now.

I'm not willing to discover anything new yet software wise, I was actually quite happy with my Reaper/Renoise/Reaktor combo but I want to take a break for that now and put the computer aside.

I love my ESX for what I ask it to do (relatively simple beats) but it just can't control my other synths because it just has two mono "synth" tracks (and I'm generally using those two tracks with the internal sounds). Its sequencer is very basic (quite limited resolution and pattern length) and it clearly limits me on the beats side but it's a nice exercise to push it in its limits, and I can use the time and energy I'm not spending on the complexity of the beats in other aspects of the music.

As for the unit sequencing the other synths, I need something more powerful yet still providing spontaneity. Something convenient for live performance because I'd like to write tracks which I can perform live at the moment.

On JJOS2XL there's a Next Seq button and a Track Mute button that bring up the respective screens. Obviously you need to select the right bank with the bank keys, but it does remember which bank you were on, so that can save a button press. When you are in Track Mute mode, PadMute is under one of the function keys, so you can just click that to mute pads. I don't use this feature much though as there's something a little funky about it and I think it's that you lose the pad mutes when you switch tracks.

Interesting, that is the same software stack I was working with before I got Max. I feel like the MPC workflow resembles Renoise in many ways.

Yeah as you know already the MPC workflow is a lot different from a step sequencer like the ESX and it's more about recording events in real-time. There are some tricks with JJOS that let you for example record/overdub tracks, or erasing events on a track, all while the sequencer is running. The fact that you have so many tracks is nice too, not only for obvious reasons like layering drums. You can also record separate notes of a monosynth sequence on separate tracks and mute and unmute them to change up the synth lines. 2 or 3 notes here, another 3 or 4 there, maybe transpose one of those down for another track, delay some of these events by an 8th note on yet another track, and then you can create a lot of movement just by muting and unmuting.

As far as spontaneity without relying on your own sense of timing, you might find it hard to beat that grid style. I've been pretty happy with the Octatrack for jams like this but it can be really confusing for other reasons and it's expensive for what it is. That said, I've had the most luck with the Octatrack and a Shruthi-1 in a jamming, improvising kind of environment.

On JJOS2XL there's a Next Seq button and a Track Mute button that bring up the respective screens. Obviously you need to select the right bank with the bank keys, but it does remember which bank you were on, so that can save a button press. When you are in Track Mute mode, PadMute is under one of the function keys, so you can just click that to mute pads. I don't use this feature much though as there's something a little funky about it and I think it's that you lose the pad mutes when you switch tracks.

Interesting, that is the same software stack I was working with before I got Max. I feel like the MPC workflow resembles Renoise in many ways.

Yeah as you know already the MPC workflow is a lot different from a step sequencer like the ESX and it's more about recording events in real-time. There are some tricks with JJOS that let you for example record/overdub tracks, or erasing events on a track, all while the sequencer is running. The fact that you have so many tracks is nice too, not only for obvious reasons like layering drums. You can also record separate notes of a monosynth sequence on separate tracks and mute and unmute them to change up the synth lines. 2 or 3 notes here, another 3 or 4 there, maybe transpose one of those down for another track, delay some of these events by an 8th note on yet another track, and then you can create a lot of movement just by muting and unmuting.

As far as spontaneity without relying on your own sense of timing, you might find it hard to beat that grid style. I've been pretty happy with the Octatrack for jams like this but it can be really confusing for other reasons and it's expensive for what it is. That said, I've had the most luck with the Octatrack and a Shruthi-1 in a jamming, improvising kind of environment.

Yeah in the end it seems that those two types of sequencing environments (step sequencing and recording live MIDI) are aimed at two different things. When I think about it, I'm pretty happy with the MPC when I need to record poly parts. If it's not too complicated to play I try to perform it one take and generally it goes pretty quickly ; if it's more of a challenge or if I'm not completely sure how I want the chords to be I go for the layering method (recording a first line and then overdub with more notes - using several tracks for layering is also a good option for the reasons you explained). Everything about that works fine and do feel spontaneous on the MPC500 (as far as you don't have to mess with editing, which you can't even do during playback in the original OS).

In the other hand, when I want to make something like a bass line with my freshly acquired Novation Bass Station 2, the MPC doesn't feel that adapted and it's kind of frustrating. In fact a step sequencer would be way better for that. Also, I was wondering if there's something in this sequencer world like mono MIDI tracks. Recording polyphony on the MPC for a track aimed at a mono synth doesn't feel right.

What I would actually find optimal would be a sequencer providing both the recording style of the MPC as well as a step sequencer. I have to look into the doc but a sequencer like the Yamaha QY700 would probably do the trick?

I'll also have a look at some doc about JJOS and will then be able to orient my choice more precisely. Thanks for all the info btw!

oh and I'm curious to know how you use Max, did you develop your own sequencing environment or something? I've the feeling I've already learned a lot from this hardware workflow on the sequencing side and when I'll want to go back to software a little bit I'm pretty sure I'll work on tweaking Reaper so that I can go for that kind of live loop recording. Basically, reproducing the spontaneity (and limitations) given by a thing like the MPC and couple it with further tweaking after the live action. I don't want to make too fixed plans yet but I'm already seeing all the potential in doing that.

What I would actually find optimal would be a sequencer providing both the recording style of the MPC as well as a step sequencer. I have to look into the doc but a sequencer like the Yamaha QY700 would probably do the trick?

I'll also have a look at some doc about JJOS and will then be able to orient my choice more precisely. Thanks for all the info btw!

oh and I'm curious to know how you use Max, did you develop your own sequencing environment or something? I've the feeling I've already learned a lot from this hardware workflow on the sequencing side and when I'll want to go back to software a little bit I'm pretty sure I'll work on tweaking Reaper so that I can go for that kind of live loop recording. Basically, reproducing the spontaneity (and limitations) given by a thing like the MPC and couple it with further tweaking after the live action. I don't want to make too fixed plans yet but I'm already seeing all the potential in doing that.

Not sure about the QY but the RM1X I mentioned might be similar. Worth looking into.

No problem about the JJOS info. Good to jog my memory about these things every once in a while :)

Well building a sequencing environment was originally the idea but it hasn't happened yet. By mentioning it in the same context as Reape and Renoise I sure made it sound that way, though, didn't I?

I've been using it more like a modular environment (a la Nord) that can do whatever I want. I'd like to sequence things in it but so far I've only built a couple rudimentary sequencers and haven't set up decent interfaces for controlling them. I'm kind of tying myself down at the moment because I am trying to use other people's patches as little as possible, and trying to figure things out on my own. Which can be frustrating but is fun and very educational.

I actually picked up the Monomachine this month to use as a melodic sequencer, and the difficulty of implementing this in Max was part of the reason for that - while I do want to learn Max, I don't want to prevent myself from making tunes as a result of my lack of Max skills (which is sort of what's been happening for the last 6 months although I have recorded quite a few unstructured "noise" jams at this point). The Monomachine, while limited, is really intuitive and flexible. So I'll rebuild momentum in there, and when I'm ready to get nerdy again I'll go back to Max.

I feel like the MPC workflow resembles Renoise in many ways.

That's funny, i always feel like OT is a tracker, an Octamed in hardware form. Never tried MPC.

That's a fair comparison too. Sequencing-wise those two are probably more similar. I think the MPC's voice structure is what reminds me more of Renoise. Also the sample slicing, and the way you work with track muting.

I'm kind of looking for an Roland x0x-type hardware sequencer. The RM1X seems decent for the price. Is it good for live pattern creation and pattern switching? 32step (or more) patterns?

I feel like the MPC workflow resembles Renoise in many ways.

That's funny, i always feel like OT is a tracker, an Octamed in hardware form. Never tried MPC.

yeah, that's what impressed me about elektron gear. I've always wanted a piece of hardware with the parameter precision of a tracker.

Archived