IGNORED

Extensive music collections

Guest ruiagnelo

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest -Ad-

I have the same problem as the op but have come to the terms with the fact that the only answer is to archive everything apart from the stuff you genuinely like and then just listen to what's left over

Guest ruiagnelo

Yeah man if you really like music, then put music in your life. Play the fuck out of it. Or else you are just a product consumer and a collector. I mean you're asking a music board about it, what are you expecting? :closedeyes:

Listening to music 12 hours a day doesn't really mean you enjoy it. I don't know how your life works man, but spending the day listening to music won't get me nothing. Maybe you are the consumer.

i have a lot of music 100+ gigabuzzles but usually i just want to listen to autechre

:facepalm:

That is ridiculous :cerious:

Guest dilbthelame

shit, and most of my mates are impressed when i say i have 40gb of music (7500 ish tracks/21days worth). i just got kicked in the nuts by the perspective fairy...

wow, to be honest.

but what i usually do is set aside an hour or so a week where i just go on the hunt for album covers, edit tags, delete genre tags (stupidest fucking idea ever in my opinion) do stuff like that... and it's still a mess. ho hum.

Guest theSun

i have a lot of music 100+ gigabuzzles but usually i just want to listen to autechre

:facepalm:

That is ridiculous :cerious:

i know!

Guest ruiagnelo

(stupidest fucking idea ever in my opinion)

It's not. Genres are abstract. There is just music you like and music you don't like.

I managed to shrink my collection by a few gigs by deleting the 60% of John Zorn stuff I had that just wasn't very good for multiple listenings. Troo story.

I think I have about 110 gigs now, but a lot of it is lossless, so the collection isn't huge, but it's still a bit ungainly. To avoid getting into theSun's aforementioned habit (and fuck, I've been known to do precisely that), I'll use the shuffle function until I hit on a song that fits, and then I'll backtrack and play that album.

OMG I CAN'T WAIT TO CONTRIBUTE TO THIS INTERESTING THREAD

HERE'S THE WAY I CLICK ON THE MP3 FILE.

AND HERE'S THE APPLICATION IN WHICH IT OPENS.

HERE'S THE WAY I ORGANIZE THE FOLDERS.

AND HERE'S HOW MANY GIGS OF FILES I HAVE.

DER DER DER

Guest ruiagnelo

OMG I CAN'T WAIT TO CONTRIBUTE TO THIS INTERESTING THREAD

HERE'S THE WAY I CLICK ON THE MP3 FILE.

AND HERE'S THE APPLICATION IN WHICH IT OPENS.

HERE'S THE WAY I ORGANIZE THE FOLDERS.

AND HERE'S HOW MANY GIGS OF FILES I HAVE.

DER DER DER

:orly:

Guest dilbthelame

(stupidest fucking idea ever in my opinion)

It's not. Genres are abstract. There is just music you like and music you don't like.

nah, didn't mean it like that, i think that having genres in itunes or whatever is just crap - what tipped me into deleting all the genre tags was when i had about 1500 songs all labelled 'alternative and punk' or whatever it is...

and then the same artists have 'rock' for one album, 'rock 'n' roll' for another, and 'alt.' for another.... it's just waaaaay too vague and i'd much rather have some kind of tagging system like last.fm where you can just give your mp3s a bunch of different tags and then search according to that. if there's one like that already i'd like to know but not that i'm aware of.

I've got about 700 CDs that I cycle through pretty rapidly, but there's a few I haven't listened to in maybe 3 years. I've downloaded a lot of mp3s mostly to check out new artists and listen to other artists I'd never want to support financially, but I practically never listen to them. Maybe by 2020 I'll make the crossover from my discman to the iPod or its future equivilant --I found one on the street a couple years ago and still haven't tried it out.

Guest dilbthelame

In 2020 we will just have to think about the music we want to listen, and we will automatically hear it. No device necessary.

that's the inside of my head already.... but my stereo is somewhat louder

Guest ruiagnelo

In 2020 we will just have to think about the music we want to listen, and we will automatically hear it. No device necessary.

+1 for that.

A device connected to your brain that detects your mood and brings the right song to the moment.

Yeah man if you really like music, then put music in your life. Play the fuck out of it. Or else you are just a product consumer and a collector. I mean you're asking a music board about it, what are you expecting? :closedeyes:

Listening to music 12 hours a day doesn't really mean you enjoy it. I don't know how your life works man, but spending the day listening to music won't get me nothing. Maybe you are the consumer.

See that is the problem. Do you go "Oh look so many books I bought, but I don't have time to read them all! So I cumulate them"?

So why do you buy music if not to listen to it? And why buy that much if you don't plan on spending time listening to it? You just consume it man. :cat:

Guest ruiagnelo

See that is the problem. Do you go "Oh look so many books I bought, but I don't have time to read them all! So I cumulate them"?

So why do you buy music if not to listen to it? And why buy that much if you don't plan on spending time listening to it? You just consume it man. :cat:

Man, who said i don't listen to it?!

I have listened to every single music i own, even it it was just once. I just don't have time to listen to it more than i wish.

Guest Franklin

most of my collection in on a harddrive in my old comp... I can't be arsed to plug it into my new comp. I have about 50 gigs or something... none of it is categorized beyond album.

for those interested (including the OPoster) there's a book called the paradox of choice by barry schwartz... it's about modern consumerism but I think the fundamental studies linking excessive choice (whatever the thing is, e.g. blue jeans, tomato sauces or music tracks to listen to) and unhappiness. There is a kind of a paralysis when we have too much to select from.

sounds like some of the problems going on in here.

+1 for that.

A device connected to your brain that detects your mood and brings the right song to the moment.

Well now I don't know if I'd want that, however it would probably be good psychologically.

If I have no plans to listen to anyone specific, all I do is right click on the mp3 folder - Play in Foobar2000, click on shuffle. Simple.

Guest ruiagnelo

+1 for that.

Well now I don't know if I'd want that, however it would probably be good psychologically.

I said that but i don't really want it. No machine will ever be able to interpret the humam mind at that point.

most of my collection in on a harddrive in my old comp... I can't be arsed to plug it into my new comp. I have about 50 gigs or something... none of it is categorized beyond album.

for those interested (including the OPoster) there's a book called the paradox of choice by barry schwartz... it's about modern consumerism but I think the fundamental studies linking excessive choice (whatever the thing is, e.g. blue jeans, tomato sauces or music tracks to listen to) and unhappiness. There is a kind of a paralysis when we have too much to select from.

sounds like some of the problems going on in here.

Ya, I read an article (maybe about this book) where this guy was giving an example of buying blue jeans. He was like "There are 75 pairs of jeans in a store... I tried on jeans for hours, and bought the pair I thought was most comfortable. The problem is: I didn't try all the jeans on, so I kept feeling like I was missing out, like there was a better, more comfortable pair of jeans out there if I would just look."

"Anxiety is the dizziness of freedom" - Kierkegaard

Archived