IGNORED

Inception - Chris Nolan + Leo DiCaprio = best movie of the summer?

Rubin Farr

Guest Enter a new display name

Saw Inception tonight. Honestly got a bit confused with all the dream layers but basically I fucking loved it

This.

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shit, what happened to Cillian Murphy? Looks like drugs to me. Eric Roberts, anyone?

67658_ori.jpg

oh my.... yeahhh buddy you're prob right. Now lets guess what kind. I want to say that at the time of that picture, he was not on opiates. His pupils look normal from here. That expression looks mighty cute on him though :blush:

It's pretty damn good, but super fast paced. There were several moments where I started reflecting on concepts that were introduced and then missed part of what was going on because of it. But it was mostly just small detail things that got lost (and this movie is LOADED with small details). It seemed like a really short movie, but I've got a feeling it went on for an hour longer than I thought, judging by the time. Hm, that's very appropriate considering the whole dream time vs. real time idea... I like to think they actually worked that effect out somehow.

Guest Gary C

I loved it unequivocally.

It was taxing at times, but I was generally really pleased that it never got too confusing. It was very much like a cinematic puzzle.

Everything was just good, it's Nolan's best in my eyes. Close behind is The Prestige and Dark Knight.

The action was well considered and the craziness is simply explained. Nolan has worked really well on his action directing and doesn't overload the senses like most directors. It bodes really well for the final Batman. Remember that Batman Begins involved lots of non descript fighting in the dark?

10/10.

Like Synecdoche this really tests the audiences comprehension. It needs to be watched on a big screen to maintain attention.

Guest Gary C

It's a real mental workout, but enjoyable like a cryptic crossword. The more you think you understand it, the more enjoyable it becomes.

I had to take a few minutes to get back into reality afterwards. I couldn't remember which side of the car to sit in. It really sucks you in.

Best film of the year. Could well be the film of the decade as it's uncopyable.

I want to watch it again already. But it is really long.

The Dark Knight felt too long, but Inception just drags you in with it.

basically, this distinguishes itself from your typical heist flick by taking place in people's dreams. the dream worlds have nothing of the uncanny, mysterious, charged qualities of real dreams but are more or less exactly like the worlds of your average heist flick: lots of guns, astonishingly everyone is an amazing warrior capable of defeating enemies in suits in matrix-esque gravity-defying battles, using all manner of bombs and guns with complete expertise, various chase scenes, sundry explosions, etc. of course, cool effects remind us that we're in a cool movie about dreams and not some boring hollywood action movie so that's way cool man but in the dream world you get little glitches (matrix cat anyone?), neato gravitational shifts, totally wild twists in the appearance of things...and that's it. otherwise dreams are basically a superficial hodge podge of painful and repressed memories that manifest themselves in violence. while experts who have worked with dicaprio in several missions fail to notice that his subconscious has been dangerously corrupting the dream worlds and endangering their missions (well, they notice but that's about it. "yo dude, should i be worried that your dead wife keeps fucking up our missions?" "nah, bro. i got this." "aight.") and fail to inquire into the late night voyages into his subconscious that have been polluting their missions, juno walks in and instantly uncovers his inner life by asking simple questions and exerting a modicum of interest in what he's up to. her name is ariadne by the way. she makes labyrinths. lol. and decaprio's repressed wife that is running around ruining things, her name is mal. fucking lol. the dream within a dream element just provides extra action vignettes (eg, shift from a car chase to a snow mobile chase) and of course gives the viewer that satisfying "what is really real?" feeling we all love so much. whose dream is this? are they really awake or is this another dream? fuck if i care.

but it was a fun summer flick i guess.

http://www.observer.com/2010/culture/can-someone-please-explain-inception-me

how does one go through life being this depressingly negative?

"But as usual, like bottom feeder Charlie Kaufman..."

lol, I stopped reading after that bit. This reviewer is seeing the world completely backwards from the way I see it. That's a whole other reality right there that I'm in no way part of.

This is the first movie I've seen since the Matrix that seems likely to fill that same spot in pop culture. It seemed to be really affecting the people around me in the theatre.

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

basically, this distinguishes itself from your typical heist flick by taking place in people's dreams. the dream worlds have nothing of the uncanny, mysterious, charged qualities of real dreams but are more or less exactly like the worlds of your average heist flick: lots of guns, astonishingly everyone is an amazing warrior capable of defeating enemies in suits in matrix-esque gravity-defying battles, using all manner of bombs and guns with complete expertise, various chase scenes, sundry explosions, etc. of course, cool effects remind us that we're in a cool movie about dreams and not some boring hollywood action movie so that's way cool man but in the dream world you get little glitches (matrix cat anyone?), neato gravitational shifts, totally wild twists in the appearance of things...and that's it. otherwise dreams are basically a superficial hodge podge of painful and repressed memories that manifest themselves in violence. while experts who have worked with dicaprio in several missions fail to notice that his subconscious has been dangerously corrupting the dream worlds and endangering their missions (well, they notice but that's about it. "yo dude, should i be worried that your dead wife keeps fucking up our missions?" "nah, bro. i got this." "aight.") and fail to inquire into the late night voyages into his subconscious that have been polluting their missions, juno walks in and instantly uncovers his inner life by asking simple questions and exerting a modicum of interest in what he's up to. her name is ariadne by the way. she makes labyrinths. lol. and decaprio's repressed wife that is running around ruining things, her name is mal. fucking lol. the dream within a dream element just provides extra action vignettes (eg, shift from a car chase to a snow mobile chase) and of course gives the viewer that satisfying "what is really real?" feeling we all love so much. whose dream is this? are they really awake or is this another dream? fuck if i care.

but it was a fun summer flick i guess.

would have been nice to have more dream weirdness for sure.

saw it in imax and its as good as people are saying. my only issue was that i would have prefered less action 007 type car chases and skiing with guns and explosions and more weirdness and complexity. i expected to get confused and I was only lost once

when fisher gets shot and they all think its over but then ellen page says something. no idea what she said but everyone agrees to try it.

pete postlethwaite should win the most unused well known actor oscar. runner up michael cain. or are they considered cameos?

took me till the credits to realise that tom hardy was bronson and i've seen his cock

9.5/10

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

question:

why did leo have to convince his wife to put her head on the tracks? did she think limbo was real? he span her totom to convince her it wasn't real but they built that world together so she knew it was dream. she was in denial?

and how long were they lying on the living room floor whilst they were in limbo? i know dream time is longer but didnt they have children/family etc?

would have been nice to have more dream weirdness for sure.

saw it in imax and its as good as people are saying. my only issue was that i would have prefered less action 007 type car chases and skiing with guns and explosions and more weirdness and complexity.

Those were pretty much my thoughts too. I tend to start tuning out when there's a lot of action going on, so much of the second half was just a blur for me. In fact, I think a lot of the excitement for me was having my imagination sparked after being sucked in by certain parts in the first half, rather than by the movie as a whole. For further explored weirdness and complexity with this kind of concept, Dark City is where it's at. That one's got to be in my top 20 movie list, possibly top 10.

i thought even though it was tame in regards to weird imagery it was still one of the best movies i've seen portray dream worlds extensively. My only big complaint with the movie was too much gun and generic action but at least it didn't go the wire-foo Matrix route, even the anti gravity parts were explained plot-wise (ridiculous as they might have been). I've been watching all the Freddy movies again recently and i think until Inception, Nightmare on Elm St 3 the dream warrriors was my favorite movie about lucid dreaming.

Guest acknowledgeandproceed

Very solid film. First rate everything. Still would have been disappointed if they hadn't given it the ending they did. A must-own when it comes out on DVD. Curious what the general public reaction is. It's not over-obvious, and that is welcome.

question:

why did leo have to convince his wife to put her head on the tracks? did she think limbo was real? he span her totom to convince her it wasn't real but they built that world together so she knew it was dream. she was in denial?

and how long were they lying on the living room floor whilst they were in limbo? i know dream time is longer but didnt they have children/family etc?

Answers to your question in the spoiler tag.

Basically, Cobb tricked Mal into believing that the world that they had created in limbo was real. That's why Cobb is convinced that the inception into Robert Fischer Jr.'s mind will work, as he used inception to pull the wool of Mal's eyes; I presume he wanted to see if were indeed possible. With this deception in place he then had to lure her out again by convincing her that the limbo world wasn't real.

It was then, of course, that he discovered that once they'd woken up that she started to believe that they real world was a sham, and that limbo was real.

I really cannot wait to go and see this movie again, as it's been stuck in my head since I saw it. I know it doesn't explore more strange visual imagery like some of you have said (something I was hoping the Matrix sequels would've done), but there's no denying that was is on display is absolutely beautiful to behold. I really haven't seen anything this brave and intelligent in the cinema for some time, and like Gary C, this might be my film of the decade.

I'm so glad I avoided all trailers and articles on this movie prior to release. There's a lot of imagery I'd like to talk at length more about, but I won't do that until more people here have seen it as I'd hate to spoil it for anyone.

I really haven't seen anything this brave and intelligent in the cinema for some time, and like Gary C, this might be my film of the decade.

would you expand upon why you think this film is brave? i don't get that.

I really haven't seen anything this brave and intelligent in the cinema for some time, and like Gary C, this might be my film of the decade.

would you expand upon why you think this film is brave? i don't get that.

The fact that it got made.

Hollywood falls back on sequels and remakes far too often now, and it rarely takes a chance on anything like Inception anymore.

Archived