IGNORED

Inception - Chris Nolan + Leo DiCaprio = best movie of the summer?

Rubin Farr

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Billov

Quite a cast, quite the effects... I hope it delivers.

The best film I've seen this year (came out quite late in ireland) was Bad Lieutenant. Which had quite a dodgey cast (nicolas cage, xzibit, eva mendez, val kilmer???) but Herzogs vision just made everything work, it was spectacular.

So Inception is boasting quite a bit from the trailers. If I go into the cinema with high expectations I usually get disappointed :(

Guest Mirezzi

"Absolute piss poor pretentious shit"

- Mirezzi

I liked The Dark Knight despite a few horrible things like everything to do with Christian Bale and Maggie Gyno. I thought The Prestige was, by a very wide and far margin, Nolan's best film so far. Memento and the remake of Insomnia were both, to quote you again, "absolute piss poor pretentious shit."

The trailer to Inception reveals almost nothing about the movie, so I'm not in the camp with everybody else here who's orgasming over very little. This looks reminiscent of the trailer for 2012 for fuck's sake.

Oh, and IGN's movie reviews aren't even worth citing. Their critics need to get a bit more vitamin D and pussy before I listen to them.

the only thing that worried me was how similar the music in the trailer and dicaprio's character reminded me of shutter island, a movie which i would very much like to forget.

Lol, I just came back to the page to post this: "But no amount of careful planning or expertise can prepare the team for the dangerous enemy that seems to predict their every move. An enemy that only Cobb could have seen coming. This summer, your mind is the scene of the crime."

If it has the same twist as shutter island, that would be a major fail.

Guest Gary C

I can just imagine that it'll have the 'it was a dream all along*' revelation, but I'm not sure. I think that's too easy.

*But a dream inside a dream

Also, I forget that The Prestige was Nolan. It's actually a really good film. I could watch it again and again.

The latest Batman had it's low points, neon-vision mainly, but it was still so good either side of the boring Two Face scenes that it is almost perfect.

The third Batman is going to tick every box for me, I know it. And I'll watch, and love, everything by Nolan if he pulls it off.

Guest iamabe

I can't wait for this shit. yesterday I got an email at 4pm about a free screening at 7. Got to the theater at 630 and they said it filled up at 4:30. Fucking word travels fast!

Christopher Nolan has a great track record...

Memento

Batman Begins

The Prestige

The Dark Knight

Inception

with the exception of batman begins (and inception since I havent seen it yet) those are some of my favorite movies. I must have seen the Prestige 5 times.

most IDM director of 2010

Looks a fair bit like dark city to me. I hope it's good.

Dark City is a badass movie, so if it is like Dark City, that will be a good thing. However I think this seems a lot different. Nolan's made some pretty awesome movies so far, I'm excited to see this... looks a bit Matrix-ish in a good way, and mixed with the crime drama aspect this could be freakin awesome, It has a great cast too. I hope it has more to deliver than just visuals, otherwise it could end up like The Cell, which has cool visuals but the movie itself is pretty lame.

"Absolute piss poor pretentious shit"

- Mirezzi

I liked The Dark Knight despite a few horrible things like everything to do with Christian Bale and Maggie Gyno. I thought The Prestige was, by a very wide and far margin, Nolan's best film so far. Memento and the remake of Insomnia were both, to quote you again, "absolute piss poor pretentious shit."

The trailer to Inception reveals almost nothing about the movie, so I'm not in the camp with everybody else here who's orgasming over very little. This looks reminiscent of the trailer for 2012 for fuck's sake.

lol, I mostly agree. I remember liking Memento well enough, though I did think it was a bit overrated. I really dislike both of Nolan's Batmans, they are poorly paced, disjointed, and feature lots of bad acting. The Prestige was a very nice film.

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100714/REVIEWS/100719997

Roger Ebert reviews Inception.

I haven't read this yet. It's really tempting, but I've got to go into this film completely fresh and able to enjoy it.

agreed, I'm trying to stay spoiler free. hopefully going to see it in IMAX on Sun.

Mhh I might watch to see their interpretations of dream behaviour. I don't think they'll be spot-on, rather fill it with nice visuals. But that wouldn't be much of a loss. Also Cillian Murphy and DiCaprio. It's no 3D-shit either, right?

ffs, Sex and the City and that fucking Twilight bullshit are both playing at my cinema in the original version. I really hope this one will be too. I mean, as if any of them acne-face Twilight-fans would watch the original version anyway. In fact, both films are adressing a mostly female audience and the sad truth is that most women in Germany don't watch English films by default. :facepalm:

Guest Mirezzi

Just about every softball critic loves it. The only mainstream critics who don't love everything have completely bashed it.

http://www.metacritic.com/film/titles/inception

Village Voice, New York Magazine, Salon, New York Observer, Movieline

Terms like cold, soulless, incoherent and dull describe most of Nolan's work so far and I have a feeling the same terms apply here. It looks to be more Memento than The Prestige. E.g. - "Wow, dude, like...that was a total like...fucking headfuck, dude!"

Think I'll go watch this in the theater, regardless. 40" LCD won't cut it.

David Edelstein loved Avatar and Extraordinary Measures, and I'm fairly certain he's actually a moron.

edit: I base that solely on his liking Avatar and Extraordinary Measures, mind.

Guest Mirezzi

David Edelstein loved Avatar and Extraordinary Measures, and I'm fairly certain he's actually a moron.

edit: I base that solely on his liking Avatar and Extraordinary Measures, mind.

He's really inconsistent, which is an understatement. He did, however, like Insomnia, so....WTF.

Just come back from seeing it, and I can safely say that this film is an absolute masterpiece. It's visually stunning and beautifully acted and edited. It's full of brilliant ideas and I haven't seen something this original for years. It's also nice to see a film with such a great concept that doesn't patronise the viewer by spoon feeding them exactly how the world of the film works.

Nolan is one of the greats.

Insomnia was good but i couldn't help but feel like Al Pacino was phoning it in, either that or his sleep deprivation is supposed to make him seem like he's on ambient for 75% of his screen time.

I was wondering, is this worth seeing in IMAX? i read somewhere it was filmed on 70mm imax cameras but i don't want to spend an extra $5 on some reconverted shit

Overlook, have you seen Following? I thought this was probably his best movie. I liked Memento too and i miss that style of dark humor from his last 3 4 films.

Just about every softball critic loves it. The only mainstream critics who don't love everything have completely bashed it.

http://www.metacritic.com/film/titles/inception

Village Voice, New York Magazine, Salon, New York Observer, Movieline

Yeah the Salon article seemed particularly credible in that I agree with its analysis of of Nolan's shortcomings as a filmmaker, but good to hear Higgins VanHiggins liked it. I'm really hungry for a good sci-fi. I tried watching Pitch Black last night based on the recommendations of watmmers who said it was a guilty pleasure but I wasn't able to finish it, the editing, film techniques, and acting were just too far gone into "made-for-TV"-land. Will give it another chance today.

Guest Coalbucket PI

Saw Inception tonight. Honestly got a bit confused with all the dream layers but basically I fucking loved it and as far as I'm concerned Nolan is 7 for 7 with amazing films. Most of the biggest effects are in the trailer and for once it doesn't matter a toss because it's actually not about the effects at all. Not really a big fan of Ellen Page but she worked okay. But really what is her appeal supposed to be? She's completely nothingy, ageless and figureless and a little bit like a funny looking young Jennifer Connelly

Archived