IGNORED

The Official 2010 World Cup Thread

Guest Mirezzi

The only reason I see FIFA not going to the video review system is that speculations about 'what ifs' are still common when talking football even decades after a disallowed goal, bad offside call and what have you. Adds to the mystique of football lore and legend.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Mirezzi

Who you hating now azatoth, now England and the USA are out?

next up on the hate list is portugal and their diving team. then i am pretty happy. unless some team blatantly deserves hate, i will give them that.

Yep.

Here is my Hate List:

England

Serbia

Algeria

Greece

Switzerland

Portugal

Brazil

Here is my Love List:

Argentina

Italy (blood is thicker than water, etc.)

United States

Spain

Uruguay

Ghana

--

I'm a bit indifferent to everybody else.

Guest Mirezzi

I will say one thing about the disallowed goal that isn't an excuse for England, but rather a further condemnation of FIFA.

This game changes entirely if it's 2-2 at half. Yes, Germany outscored England 2-0 in the second half, but imagine how Germany comes out if they've given up their 2 goal lead. They won't be soaking up pressure and they won't be able to counter England to go up 3-1.

So, yes, England were miserable in the second half, but these FIFA officiating travesties cannot be underestimated.

I haven't read the last few pages so the point I'm about to make may have already been raised.

Yes, you are probably right about how throwing away a 2 goal lead would play on the mind. However, leaving aside the fact that Germany outplayed England in every way, England were more than happy in that most infamous of years, 1966, to take the benefit of a goal that should've been disallowed due to not crossing the line, and in turn winning the title.

Absolutely, karma is a real mother fucker, innit?

The only reason I see FIFA not going to the video review system is that speculations about 'what ifs' are still common when talking football even decades after a disallowed goal, bad offside call and what have you. Adds to the mystique of football lore and legend.

Yeah, I hear this all the time. In fact, I think chenGOD has run that idea up the flagpole before and I just refuse to salute it. There are already plenty of authentic footballing moments in every World Cup to remember. We don't need the WWF shit.

Slightly OT, but I've been thinking that if there is another civilization out on the stars somewhere of bipeds, would they have created a game similar to our football? It's a really simple idea, kick around a sphere and try to get it between two sticks.

If we ever meet another race of bipeds, a friendly match of football would be high on the agenda, in my opinion.

Guest Mirezzi

Who you hating now azatoth, now England and the USA are out?

next up on the hate list is portugal and their diving team. then i am pretty happy. unless some team blatantly deserves hate, i will give them that.

lol!

I lol'd, too. I even turned on my beloved Italy because they deserved hate in the game against New Zealand and, to a lesser degree, against Slovakia.

I almost removed England from my Hate List when the Lampard goal was not awarded, but thanks to 1966, it seemed to poetically necessary, so all is right in the Germany/England footballing karma score.

Slightly OT, but I've been thinking that if there is another civilization out on the stars somewhere of bipeds, would they have created a game similar to our football? It's a really simple idea, kick around a sphere and try to get it between two sticks.

If we ever meet another race of bipeds a friendly match of football would be high on the agenda, in my opinion.

It's not off topic at all.

In fact, I'm pretty sure these benevolent bipedal extraterrestrials were in South Africa, playing football for Greece and North Korea.

That's the same rationale that they use for baseball here. Human error is a part of the game. That's horseshit IMO. The call should be correct every time it's possible. The best team should win not the team that gets a few good calls.

Their official explanation is that it would hurt the "universality" of the game. What complete bullshit, low leagues don't get a 4th referee or even linesmen. The rules should be universal, not the way the players and the ball are monitored. Just let that 4th referee watch on a screen and let him communicate him with the ref on the pitch. And yeah it might break the flow of the game for a few seconds, but so do diving and pulling shirts. Every schwalbe should be a booking.

This was a clean game though. Nice sportsmanship, very enjoyable game.

Guest Mirezzi

That's the same rationale that they use for baseball here. Human error is a part of the game. That's horseshit IMO. The call should be correct every time it's possible. The best team should win not the team that gets a few good calls.

It's absolute horseshit, especially when you consider subjectivity and scandal as part of the equation. It's not human error alone that leads to blown calls.

For your consideration: Black Sox, Tofik Bakhramov, Byron Moreno, Juventus, Tim Donaghy, etc.

Guest Mirezzi

yeah... i'm switching over to argentina now... only because my wife's family is mexican!

That's a lol.

"Fuck the in-laws."

Their official explanation is that it would hurt the "universality" of the game. What complete bullshit, low leagues don't get a 4th referee or even linesmen. The rules should be universal, not the way the players and the ball are monitored. Just let that 4th referee watch on a screen and let him communicate him with the ref on the pitch. And yeah it might break the flow of the game for a few seconds, but so do diving and pulling shirts. Every schwalbe should be a booking.

This was a clean game though. Nice sportsmanship, very enjoyable game.

I call that explanation BS too. A game in a bushleague is a different thing than a game on the hugest stage in the whole damn world, where all tools available should be used to get damn goals correct. Already getting a goal review system implemented would be a huge step.

am i imagining it, or has this tournament had inordinate amount of officiating mistakes, compared to the last world cup, which i don't remember had this much fuckups and this tournament isn't even half way.

Hey chenGOD, as I lick the salty tears off your wetted cheek, might I ask if you still have such a mongoloidal, braindead opinion of video replay?

It would be easy for me to say this is payback for 1966, but you know what, I can't. FIFA have just ruined this game, no matter the outcome. That ball was at least a yard inside the box and the linesman was staring straight at it.

While I pissed that the goal was not awarded the fact remains that the defending on the first two goals was terrible. That was a shocking decision though.

In that situation, how would you implement the video replay? The ball was back down in England's half within two seconds. What if Germany had scored off the break? What if video replay showed it only after analysis at half-time? Are you going to replay the whole first after the goal that had been disallowed gets awarded? Goals change strategy, momentum, the mental state of a team. I would definitely be in favour of something that allowed technology to determine if the whole of the ball had crossed the line that doesn't interfere with the flow of the game. Video replay solves nothing in those situations.

Pretty much, and to be honest, this is a giant slice of heavenly schadenfreude and I'm going to soak up every calorie. Fuck every one of you English cunts who talked shit about the U.S., particularly chenGOD, das wunder twat!

I love you too honey. I'm flattered you pay so much attention to me :)

I will continue to talk shit about the US, because they are shit. Just because we're shit doesn't mean you're not also shit. YOU FUCKING CUNT. :beer:

Guest Mirezzi

Your solution, chenGOD, is business as usual?

Nice one. If you're happy with the game the way it is, that's fine, but you're almost alone in that view.

Archived