IGNORED

Various Artists - New Technology Vol. 1 & 2 (Parry Music, Canada 1981)

superstix

I just ran across this vinyl find at a blog called Lunar Atrium. Thought you guys might like it. Early '80s synth instrumental stuff, reminiscent of Boards of Canada (obv.), Ralf & Florian, etc. Some of it is quite beautiful.

47f.jpg53f.jpg

Canadian library label Parry Music recently popped up on my radar, a label I hadn't previously looked into. I think early on a few people tried to steer me away from this 80's stuff, but as time has gone by I've grown to very much appreciate a few 80's libraries, as opposed to many generic 70's funky jazz titles, which started to bore the pants off me a while ago.

There's a strange connection between 70's prog and experimental 80's electronic sounds, and I think there's a great balance of this on here, a rollercoaster ride of interesting science and nature documentary-oriented sounds. There's squelchy electronics-a-plenty for all you synth freaks, as well as some really great tunes and arrangements in general. Listen to "Activator" and tell me that isn't the coolest tune you've heard in months; an exercise in crystalline new-age, synth noodling and a cool bass drone. Harry Forbes' "Micrometer" is another catchy tune with great electronics.

The majority of the work here is composed by Forbes, and the duo of Robin Artuss and Paul Kass, with a scant couple of others getting a track here and there. It's fresh and interesting enough to maintain continued interest, though here and there a couple of repeated themes pop up that don't really add up to much. Some of these tunes would make amazing sci-fi themes, and others are perfect for incidental music soundtracking a lens-flared camera pan across a nuclear power plant, or laboratory shot. I can even imagine a few of these tracks in some new-age relaxation video. Cool stuff.

Both volumes are included in the zip provided at the blog: New Technology 1 & 2

Great site with vinyl rips from his personal collection. Many gems to be found.

Archived