IGNORED

RDJ song names

J3FF3R00

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

shut up masonic

lol, concise.

masonic, i think it has something to do with transliteration of celtic alphabets. for example, the irish name maeve can also be spelt madb or mab, but all pronounced the same.

this edit has been brought to you by my 'be nicer for christmas' campaign.

Richard says he doesn't take drugs when making music. I believe that (one of the few things he says that I do believe LoL). Though perhaps there are a couple of exceptions...

However I reckon he makes up for it when coming up with song titles!

Didn't he say somewhere that he and Mike P were drunk and tripping for when they made EKT? That would make sense.

Ye, I though this record was the only one he made on drugs. Something about him and Mike wasted on vodka and acid?

Guest Calx Sherbet

Richard says he doesn't take drugs when making music. I believe that (one of the few things he says that I do believe LoL). Though perhaps there are a couple of exceptions...

However I reckon he makes up for it when coming up with song titles!

Didn't he say somewhere that he and Mike P were drunk and tripping for when they made EKT? That would make sense.

Ye, I though this record was the only one he made on drugs. Something about him and Mike wasted on vodka and acid?

imagine a sober project between these two

Guest Calx Sherbet

If this one is for real, this has got to be his absolute worst and funniest pun yet.

OK, alright. I was randomly looking up dirty words for a giggle in my Kernewek Kemmyn dictionary. So I looked up penis, as you do.

It's Kalgh.

Which is not funny in and of itself, until you look up the pronunciation guide, because Cornish has lots of weird diphthongs. The dictionary says "gh" at the end of a word is pronounced "X."

I now have such a hard time believing that all those "Calx" songs = a coincidence. That just *so* sounds like his sense of humour, that they're all a ridiculous pun on the Cornish for penis. I want this to be true so badly. Has anyone ever heard anything to this effect before? It would just make me laugh so hard if it all turned out to be a giant dick joke.

bad news for me

If this one is for real, this has got to be his absolute worst and funniest pun yet.

OK, alright. I was randomly looking up dirty words for a giggle in my Kernewek Kemmyn dictionary. So I looked up penis, as you do.

It's Kalgh.

Which is not funny in and of itself, until you look up the pronunciation guide, because Cornish has lots of weird diphthongs. The dictionary says "gh" at the end of a word is pronounced "X."

I now have such a hard time believing that all those "Calx" songs = a coincidence. That just *so* sounds like his sense of humour, that they're all a ridiculous pun on the Cornish for penis. I want this to be true so badly. Has anyone ever heard anything to this effect before? It would just make me laugh so hard if it all turned out to be a giant dick joke.

:facepalm:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calx

Guest Masonic Boom

It's Kalgh.

:facepalm:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calx

Oh yes, of course. You are absolutely right.

Because Mr D James has never, ever made silly puns or Cornish dick jokes in his song titles before in his entire life, ever. How utterly ridiculous of me to presume that he might!

(Especially given that the word Kalgh itself in Cornish means both lime/calx or penis.)

OK: extreme linguistics nerd alert here about revived languages: I am using a Kernewek Kemmyn dictionary, and it's very likely that Aphex may be using a different dialect. For instance, I have noticed that he has "Ylow" for music where Dr Ken George has "ilow" and he has "Gwarek" for playful where Dr George has "Gwariek." But then again, loads of stuff is spelled the same, and others you can work out from the root like "Strotha Tynhe" = "Tight Squeeze" and Bbydhyonchord = Foreverchord or something like it.

(Vordhosbn, mind you, is a complete mystery because the Cornish root for boat is "skath" making sailboat skath-woelya and ship is gorhel. Granted, the Cornish probably had as many words for "boat" as the Innuit have for snow, but the problem is that the Cornish root "fordh" actually means *road* so I'm really curious where that came from.)

As for "Tuss" erm, maybe that's modern slang or something because Dr George reckons it just means "people" or "human beings."

Omgyjyer which is what I'm guessing he misspelled as Omgyjya, however, means wanker. What an excellent word!

So given his propensity for cock jokes, I'm really going with Kalgh = Calx.

i know I shouldn't but - he's probably not using a different dialect, he probably just doesn't know how to spell them.

And considering all three of his tracks with calx in the name were recorded well before he started using cornish track names that weren't place names, I'm gonna say that calx is for the residual material left over from well, calcination.

I'm also slightly curious as to where he has made dick jokes in his track names prior to the RDJ album?

i think the only genitalia-referencing track name he has is the one on TEEX3: "cunt".

Oh and this site seems to indicate that kalgh is pronounced "kalh"

http://kernewegva.com/mollethi.html

So probably just you projecting again.

Guest Masonic Boom

OK: extreme linguistics nerd alert here about revived languages: I am using a Kernewek Kemmyn dictionary, and it's very likely that Aphex may be using a different dialect. For instance, I have noticed that he has "Ylow" for music where Dr Ken George has "ilow" and he has "Gwarek" for playful where Dr George has "Gwariek." But then again, loads of stuff is spelled the same, and others you can work out from the root like "Strotha Tynhe" = "Tight Squeeze" and Bbydhyonchord = Foreverchord or something like it.

(Vordhosbn, mind you, is a complete mystery because the Cornish root for boat is "skath" making sailboat skath-woelya and ship is gorhel. Granted, the Cornish probably had as many words for "boat" as the Innuit have for snow, but the problem is that the Cornish root "fordh" actually means *road* so I'm really curious where that came from.)

As for "Tuss" erm, maybe that's modern slang or something because Dr George reckons it just means "people" or "human beings."

Omgyjyer which is what I'm guessing he misspelled as Omgyjya, however, means wanker. What an excellent word!

So given his propensity for cock jokes, I'm really going with Kalgh = Calx.

i know I shouldn't but - he's probably not using a different dialect, he probably just doesn't know how to spell them.

And considering all three of his tracks with calx in the name were recorded well before he started using cornish track names that weren't place names, I'm gonna say that calx is for the residual material left over from well, calcination.

I'm also slightly curious as to where he has made dick jokes in his track names prior to the RDJ album?

i think the only genitalia-referencing track name he has is the one on TEEX3: "cunt".

Oh and this site seems to indicate that kalgh is pronounced "kalh"

http://kernewegva.com/mollethi.html

So probably just you projecting again.

Yeah, there are actually several different dialects and competing spellings of Cornish, which is often the case with extinct languages that are revived from documents which are themselves transliterations. So I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt that he's using Middle Cornish, rather than thinking he can't spell. Coz I'm nice like that. ;)

On the pronunciation, this is why I tend to trust actual linguistic scholars rather than "I just googled this word" because although "gh" is an aspirated "h" in the middle of words it's closer to the German and Scots Gaelic "ch" as in Loch, (see also "x" in many dialects of Spanish) but hey, I'll let Dr George explain it:

5254047462_d3cbc65715_b.jpg

But given that the direct Cornish translation of calcination Calx as Kalgh as shown below, I don't think that the pronunciation is actually an issue.

Sure, granted, it may just be a coincidence. (Though given how early the Calx records were, it's just as likely that people didn't think it might be a Cornish pun until he started giving his tracks more overt Cornish names.) But even if it is a coincidence, it's a *hilarious* one.

then to judge from your scholars (as opposed to the people who actually speak it - and if you'd looked at the website, you'd find they have basically the same spellings as your precious dictionary) - you'd see that the pronunciation is not really cock at all, unless you pronounce cock like loch or ach, which you shouldn't.

So I maintain that richard's only use of genitalia in naming a song is particularly apt: cunt

Guest Masonic Boom

You are aware that there have been no native *speakers* of Cornish since the 18th century, right? That everyone who speaks the language today is going by the work of a handful of linguists - including Dr. George - who have attempted to reconstruct it?

Even if you disagree on the pronunciation, it remains a pun in Cornish, that Calx = Kalgh and Penis = Kalgh.

But, you know, that's right, our Dick has never made any dirty jokes or silly puns, ever, and next you'll be telling me that Cock/Ver10 is about chickens. Uh-huh.

then to judge from your scholars (as opposed to the people who actually speak it - and if you'd looked at the website, you'd find they have basically the same spellings as your precious dictionary) - you'd see that the pronunciation is not really cock at all, unless you pronounce cock like loch or ach, which you shouldn't.

So I maintain that richard's only use of genitalia in naming a song is particularly apt: cunt

Bach, Lock, Loch, and Cock all sound the same around these parts....

You are aware that there have been no native *speakers* of Cornish since the 18th century, right? That everyone who speaks the language today is going by the work of a handful of linguists - including Dr. George - who have attempted to reconstruct it?

Even if you disagree on the pronunciation, it remains a pun in Cornish, that Calx = Kalgh and Penis = Kalgh.

But, you know, that's right, our Dick has never made any dirty jokes or silly puns, ever, and next you'll be telling me that Cock/Ver10 is about chickens. Uh-huh.

How does Calx=Kalgh? It's not pronounced like an "x". Not even according to what you wrote (btw apparently Dr. George's orthography is widely disputed).

Fuck why am I here. I knew I shouldn't have. Go nuts.

• 7 months later...
Guest Masonic Boom

In the scanned dictionary shot, it looks like "yow" has to be added to kalgh to make it "penis"...or am I missing an archaic detail

Actually "-yow" is one of the standard suffixes which makes a Cornish word plural like -s or -es in English. Kalghyow is calxes or penises.

Anyway, today's lesson was about the word(s) for "boat" all based on "skath". So I asked the teacher about Vordhosbn because I've always believed the usual myth that it meant "sailboat" even though it's nothing like skath.

It's nothing to do with boats, at all. :facepalm:

the teacher reckoned the closest match is a vowel-mutated THIGHS with a feminine ending on it. Lady-thighs. Good lord, I hope that's true, I love it.

Do you think a lot about naming the tracks?

It depends. I’ve made some of them while I wrote the track, others were first untitled and then I’ve made up the titles afterwards. You can put out untitled tracks but it’s just a headache for publishers or when people play your tracks on the TV or the radio. They get pissed off and you’ll never get the money either. But I wanted to make the tracks completely unpronouncable. (laughs)

-- Aphex Twin Interview by Heiko Hoffmann

Do you think a lot about naming the tracks?

It depends. I’ve made some of them while I wrote the track, others were first untitled and then I’ve made up the titles afterwards. You can put out untitled tracks but it’s just a headache for publishers or when people play your tracks on the TV or the radio. They get pissed off and you’ll never get the money either. But I wanted to make the tracks completely unpronouncable. (laughs)

-- Aphex Twin Interview by Heiko Hoffmann

Awesome interview, I don't think i've read this one before! nice find :aphexsign:

Archived