IGNORED

David Lynch: Good Day Today

Guest Fishtank

haha

i understand the hate but still love the backhandedness of it. similar to the linda scott track from the mulholland drive OST. that also has those huge amounts of 50s cheese. it's a matter of context i guess. o well.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Greg Reason

anyone here who heard this Lynch album yet?

dl.jpg

:emotawesomepm9:

I have the book, which is a discussion relating to Transcendental Meditation, which Lynch has practiced since the '70s.

I wonder whether this is an audio book

haha

i understand the hate but still love the backhandedness of it. similar to the linda scott track from the mulholland drive OST. that also has those huge amounts of 50s cheese. it's a matter of context i guess. o well.

The only difference is that the Linda Scott song is uncommonly cute and beautiful. I'd also say ham-handedness as opposed to back-handedness. Not trying to be contrary, I just don't see how anyone can like that Just You. To make matters worse, in episodes following that scene, you can hear the "just you" guitar motif playing in some James & Donna related scenes, which immediately takes me back to that horrible moment.

I'm saying this as a complete and utter Lynch/Peaks fanboy.

Guest Greg Reason

I agree, stuff like 'Why Haven't I Told You' is far more tolerable than that cringe-worthy James scene

One of very few Lynch scenes I don't feel

• 4 months later...

Taken From http://www.factmag.com/2010/11/29/david-lynch-releases-solo-electronic-single/ :

David Lynch has written and recorded a solo electronic single called ‘Good Day Today’. It’s out today, November 29.

The creative genius behind Twin Peaks, Blue Velvet and Mulholland Drive has long been preoccupied with sound, and not just as a director. He co-scored his first picture, Eraserhead (1982), with Alan R. Splet, and collaborated with Angelo Badalamenti (long his composer of choice) on the ambient oddity Industrial Symphony No. 1: The Dream Of The Broken-Hearted (1990). More recently he contributed to Danger Mouse and Sparklehorse’s Dark Night Of The Soul project and worked with Marek Zebrowski on the Polish Night Music mini-album. The latter was released through Lynch’s own David Lynch Music Company.

Rather than self-releasing ‘Good Day Today’ (b/w ‘I Know’), Lynch has signed the record exclusively to a British indie, Rob Da Bank’s Sunday Best.

“I was just sitting and these notes came and then I went down and started working with Dean [Hurley, his engineer] and then these few notes, ‘I want to have a good day, today’ came and the song was built around that,” Lynch tells The Guardian.

“[Music is] its own thing,” he continues. “A still photo can be mighty powerful, a film can be mighty powerful. The world you can make in a film is incredible. Music is something that goes inside a person and it does something and it can really thrill the soul. It’s another magical medium.”

‘Good Day Today’ is a surprisingly punchy dance track, and features the 64-year-old himself on vocals, while ‘I Know’ is a bit more slouchy and rock ‘n’ roll-inflected.

Good Day Today -

http://soundcloud.com/sundaybest/david-lynch-good-day-today/s-NZK4K

I Know (not quite sure how to embed this one) -

http://p1.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/5326497?secret_token=s-wEYEy

I'm quite tempted in picking up the box set - http://www.vfeditions.com/product/view/25 (Though it is 30 quid for two tracks - which is still cheaper than Analord 10 was but still ...)

curious to find where this lead's? perhaps a full album? some new animation bits? lynch is capable of so many lovely things.

rather liked the sounds on the tracs, certainly he's got my attention.

Yeah on first listen I much prefer the B-Side too, though I'm wondering Good Day will be another case of Underworld-New-Album syndrome where the track grows on me more with every play ...

this is trance lol

haha gunfire

Funnily enough that's the review The Wire magazine have gone with too, word for word ....

EDIT: But yeah Ghost of Love is amazing, my favourite track I've heard of his ...

Not what I was expecting...

Was almost getting into it... but then the gun shots :facepalm:

I don't think I'd listen to this again.. unless Burial did a remix of it.

Guest Lucy Faringold

I really like Good Day Today. Listened to it a bunch today.

I Know is growing on me too. Pleasantly surprised 'cause I was pretty cynical when I first heard them both.

Archived