IGNORED

Gas - Nah und Fern

encym

I have quickly scanned the samples, and am not sure about this, but I read rave reviews everywhere. So is this really a historically important release to get (the box set) for a musician interested in ambient, drone, textural electronics?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the albums really shines on CD but there has been a lot of hype around its re-realese (and also because they were supposed ltd edition with the previous issues fetching a fair whack 2nd hand) and the albums a little samey but great for monging out to on your own on a quite night in

deep textural atmosperic stuff that was well ahead of its time but only get it if your into minimalist dark ambient like Biosphere, Tim Hecker, Basic Channel ect

my advice is just get the box set, have a fat line of ket, turn the lights down and take a journey through the dark moons of Jupiter :cerious:

It's good. Was skeptic at first when listening to GAS but it just sort of creeps inside your brain and does its magic. Samples don't do this sort of music justice. They need to be listened as a whole.

My favourite is Zauberberg. Creepy and atmospheric and marvellous. The samples are confusing, as they give you an idea of exactly what each track sounds like, but without having chance to let the music bleed into you.

Guest Enter a new display name

It's one of the most important reissues in the history of electronic music, man!

i got lost in it for months, and listened to very little else during that time

i love it

in fact imma listen to zauberberg now

Definitely just get it- if you're at all interested in ambient, techno, whatever...

I would also recommend the Pole three disc set as well if you don't have that.

I have to agree with this on all accounts.

the Gas stuff I fell in love with on first listen - ignore all the reviews and "ooh it's a backwards guitar multi-tracked" type hype, just listen and enjoy.

The Pole stuff for me took a little longer to really get into, it was enjoyable at first but not completely grabbing - now those three discs (plus a lot of Steingarten, and mmm the shackleton remix of Achterbahn is magic) are pure sonic heaven. Make sure you have a decent system to listen to them on, as the bass will wash over you. :)

Guest bacteriatastic

as good as drukqs, especially on headphones at night

you can't really compare drukqs to gas.

but definitely headphone music, yeah

Hey thanks for all your replies!

Knowing about all you guys' knowledge of - and love for - electronic music, I think you just made me go for it.

I'm a bit cautious about statements like "It's electronic music history, so just get it". This is so subjective a matter, and even the Kraftwerk Katalog - which I got and which is definitely historical - isn't really something I listen to too much at all.

Cheers again!

• 2 weeks later...

It's one of the most important reissues in the history of electronic music, man!

That's great mix in your spoiler, man! ;-)

Guest ansgaria

Amazing boxset. It really is a fantastic soundworld Voigt lays out. Pop is to me the only that has a significantly different sound than the three other records. I consider Gas, Zauberberg and Königforst to be, in terms of soundworld, set in some deep, dark forest at night (on a LSD trip), Pop seems to be a lot more uplifting and sunny, so to speak.

The artwork for the box is also amazingly fitting, and it's amazing to stare at the photos included whilst listening to the music. I'm glad that Voigt decided to change the original artwork for the first Gas record, which I consider to be one of the worst I've ever seen.

R-24226-1167340238.jpeg

If you haven't already bought it, then go buy right away. You most definitely won't regret it.

Untitled II off the first record might just be some of the most entrancing music ever.

Amazing boxset. It really is a fantastic soundworld Voigt lays out. Pop is to me the only that has a significantly different sound than the three other records. I consider Gas, Zauberberg and Königforst to be, in terms of soundworld, set in some deep, dark forest at night (on a LSD trip), Pop seems to be a lot more uplifting and sunny, so to speak.

The artwork for the box is also amazingly fitting, and it's amazing to stare at the photos included whilst listening to the music. I'm glad that Voigt decided to change the original artwork for the first Gas record, which I consider to be one of the worst I've ever seen.

R-24226-1167340238.jpeg

If you haven't already bought it, then go buy right away. You most definitely won't regret it.

Untitled II off the first record might just be some of the most entrancing music ever.

Mr. Hasselbalch, I like your work and as you like this Gas boxset, I think I can't go wrong with it either.

aaaaaaactually; would anyone be able to take a photo of all the artwork laid out on the floor for me? i would like to add a picture to the wiki article i wrote...

Guest ansgaria

R-24226-1167340238.jpeg

Mr. Hasselbalch, I like your work and as you like this Gas boxset, I think I can't go wrong with it either.

Kind words, Mr. Encym - go buy!

aaaaaaactually; would anyone be able to take a photo of all the artwork laid out on the floor for me? i would like to add a picture to the wiki article i wrote...

I might be able to do it tomorrow. There's the individual sleeves and the accompanying artwork cards, would you want those as well?

thanks! i'd be looking at adding maximum two images to the article, so whatever way you want to rock it.

if you have a flickr/wiki/deviantart account, you could upload them with a CC-by-SA license, otherwise just PM them and i'll up em to wiki.

Guest ansgaria

thanks! i'd be looking at adding maximum two images to the article, so whatever way you want to rock it.

if you have a flickr/wiki/deviantart account, you could upload them with a CC-by-SA license, otherwise just PM them and i'll up em to wiki.

I could just shoot two photos of the closed box and the content. I could also take the photos now, but the image would look better with natural light compared to the horrible standard flash.