IGNORED

Gas - Nah und Fern

encym

Far as I know, Nah und Fern was not remastered. It’s just a repress with repackaging.

Pretty certain I read online during the time of release that it was remastered by Voigt and Burger. The reason I remember all that so clearly is because the original opening track from the first album (GAS) was not able to be located on the original master tapes, so they replaced it with a completely new track (which is admittedly incredible).

And just checking now - yes, there is a mastering credit for Burger/Voigt:

http://www.discogs.com/Gas-Nah-Und-Fern/release/1363736

I tend to listen to the remasters in equal measure with my vinyl rips of the original issues, which cost me a mint to acquire. I'm sure I made mention of it elsewhere on the forum (maybe even in this thread) but the first album is even more worth getting on vinyl because nearly all the tracks are extended by several minutes, compared to the CD version. The only downside is that it's a pretty noisy pressing, despite being a 3LP. I'd love to see each of the albums get reissued on vinyl again someday just for the possibility of heavyweight vinyl. The original jackets weren't the sturdiest things either, like many of the great Mille Plateaux LPs.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never went crazy for this release, but reading this made me dig out my old vinyl copy of pop and damn if it hasn't finally 'clicked'. I think there was something about the repetitiveness that I used to have trouble with, it's not a problem for me any more it seems. I'll have to check out his other stuff.

They also need to reissue Oktember.

This was, I felt, a missed opportunity with the reissue set. Especially considering there's really only one exclusive track on Oktember. The other was on the CD version of Konigsforst, but not the LP. So essentially it's just a single with a b-side. It also cost me more than any of the full lengths did.

Yeah. I don't understand why they didn't do a comprehensive reissue of all the Gas material on vinyl. It's not like they weren't going to sell. Come on now...

Huh. I could have sworn there was an interview or something around the time of this release where WV said that they specifically didn't remaster the tracks because they weren't supposed to be "clean" or brighter sounding. Or something like that. My b for misremembering, y'all.

i recall him saying that while they did re-master it the tracks were somehow resistant to remastering and only marginally changed.

i can't find that interview though but i'm pretty sure about the gist.

it was in the wire magazine issue 291.

I'd love to read that interview if anyone has it and would be able to scan it, or even better have a link to it somewhere.

I haven't fully gotten into Gas yet, but I've tried a few times over the years. I just got this collection and I'm surprised by how beat based a lot of this is. I remembered it a lot more ambient all in all. That's not a bad thing though, I was just expecting a beatless experience.

• 7 years later...