IGNORED

Gas - Nah und Fern

encym

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest zaphod

hated? whoa. those are both sublime albums that i can play in any mood.

there must be albums you now love that you really disliked on first few plays?

sure, but they were "difficult" to listen to, abrasive somehow or extremely experimental. hating gas is like hating a warm bath.

hating gas is like hating a warm bath.

well that explains it! I cant stand baths, sitting there stewing in your own juices. I'm a power shower man myself.

I'm still gonna have another crack at this album though lol

Music Has The Right To Children is extremely mediocre to me. I'm sure that will upset EVERYONE ON HERE, but hey ho.

Anyway, really enjoying Gas thus far. I've heard it before but never fully/properly. I'm focusing on the first album for now and it's very enjoyable. Track 3 is my favourite atm. I accidently pressed repeat on track 3 (instead of repeat the whole album) the other day whilst tidying my apartment and I didn't even notice for about 40 mins. Funny.

I've listened to Zauberberg once and it sounded like it had a something to different to offer (in comparison to the first). I'm don't think I'm ready to move on from the first one yet though.

Looking forward to hearing Pop as I've read that's the "sunniest".

Edited by KGW

Music Has The Right To Children is extremely mediocre to me. I'm sure that will upset EVERYONE ON HERE, but hey ho.

Anyway, really enjoying Gas thus far. I've heard it before but never fully/properly. I'm focusing on the first album for now and it's very enjoyable. Track 3 is my favourite atm. I accidently pressed repeat on track 3 (instead of repeat the whole album) the other day whilst tidying my apartment and I didn't even notice for about 40 mins. Funny.

I've listened to Zauberberg once and it sounded like it had a something to different to offer (in comparison to the first). I'm don't think I'm ready to move on from the first one yet though.

Looking forward to hearing Pop as I've read that's the "sunniest".

Don't forget Königsforst.

Edited by Tauhid

No, of course I won't. I'm listening to them in order. Spending at least a few days to a week with each before moving onto the next one.

I just haven't really read much about the style of any of them apart from Pop, which is described as summery.

Guest zaphod

those red bull lectures are so weird. the guys interviewing the artists seem absurdly relaxed, like this:

[youtubehd]zVGC7rz0Y1o[/youtubehd]

those red bull lectures are so weird. the guys interviewing the artists seem absurdly relaxed

yeah, some of the ones i've seen border on a bit camp and bit homosexually relaxed with another man. perhaps thats just my imagination, not that I imagine things about gay people.....whatever....... forget I said anything lol.

Don't listen to Nah und Fern, the tracks have been remastered and don't sound right due to overcompression. It's hard to understand why he would do this :(

If you want to taste the sublime magic of GAS, try a vinyl rip of the original individual releases.

That complaint aside, I will make a few remarks/claims.

1. Every GAS album is better than the previous ones.

2. The GAS albums are the most profound contributions to the human artistic corpus from the last 25 or so years. Especially Pop. The genius of Pop, I suspect, has not been realized by most listeners. Maybe because they write it off as "soothing ambient music" or "music to fall asleep to", which is bullshit. I don't want to make a list of the specific aspects of Pop that make it such a timeless thing of beauty, because it's something that should be discovered. I can only invite you to give it some careful listens with an open mind.

3. If you really love GAS, you should purchase the book from Raster Noton. The visual component compliments the music very strongly in both a conceptual and aesthetic sense.

GAS is neither good nor bad. GAS simply...is.

this is it. GAS is isn't music. GAS is a concept, a series of objects to be admired from various angles. GAS isn't music about a forest, it is the forest. i'm glad someone else besides me and voigt gets it. i have been lost in GAS. because GAS lends itself to being lost in.

can someone ID the classical samples used in that Zauberberg track?

there's definitely wagner. that's all i'm allowed to say lol.

this is it. GAS is isn't music. GAS is a concept, a series of objects to be admired from various angles. GAS isn't music about a forest, it is the forest. i'm glad someone else besides me and voigt gets it. i have been lost in GAS. because GAS lends itself to being lost in.

Yes.

I think Gas is my favorite ambient music, and it's possible I've thought this since the first time I've listened to Pop. It's just taken me time to realize it and think "this is above all ambient music." It's a creative endeavor by a musician that doubles as a deep dive into your subconscious mind. For example, SAWII is obviously masterful and snapshots from the mind of RDJ, but Gas has the strange effect of being all about YOU when you listen to it. Hard to explain, but I'm sure some of you know what I mean. Like something that has existed in nature and our brains all along, but Wolfgang Voigt materialized it and made it readily available to us. Hyperbole aside, it's cool.

Thx Kaini. Also, yeah, since I discovered GAS, I think I listen to it more than all the other music I have. It's really just perfect. It should be in the next Voyager.

Guest zaphod

>can someone ID the classical samples used in that Zauberberg track?

a lot of people get it.

i could actually drink this song:

[youtubehd]pt-bfSTP5DE[/youtubehd]

Guest Ron Manager

i think the GAS albums are great, but i definitely don't have the same connection with them some of you are describing. but my taste is liable to change, so i'll keep listening and see what happens.

>can someone ID the classical samples used in that Zauberberg track?

High five! Yeah, I've spent literally months out of the year with any one of the four LPs on endless repeat in my bedroom. There's simply nothing else like that in my record collection, besides maybe Selected Ambient Works II - music that sounds as if it is outside of time and space. Like really truly alien and self-aware. Even the kickdrums eventually sound more like hearing the heartbeat of some gigantic organism from inside its womb.