IGNORED

tapes!

kokoon

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On paper I should of been all over that MF Doom cassette set in theory but didn't buy it ASAP for the following reasons:

1. Broke

2. It's not Madvillainy 2

3. It's not even a Madvillainy / Madvillainy Remix reissue (I'd be a sucker for that)

4. This exists already...

Screen%2BShot%2B2013-04-20%2Bat%2B1.11.5

I dunno, I'm not one to geek out over a "big" artist putting out a tape when they or their label can afford vinyl pressing or digipak releases. The two exceptions in my collection are Gold Panda (which he signed IRL) and Washed Out (which I bought at his show)

For example, JJ Doom, Deerhunter, and Volcano Choir the were the most expensive tapes I saw I Cassette Store Day, and those were most needless tapes that participated: no exclusive content or artwork either. Hip-hop on cassette is a good pairing, Jon Wayne's cassette releases are neat, lot of good labels put out beat tapes, and even Snoop Dog and Dam Funk threw in a free tape for people who bought 7 Days of Funk. But all these indie bands putting out tapes as an option, it's cool but it's also a redundant gimmick. I much prefer the DIY labels.

I've been listening to a tape called True Romances from Topline Records

It's late 50's early 60's (I think) love songs) - pretty sweet, quite strange some of them! Some of them are uber-catchy and fun to listen to...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jc6N_S4lzC0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSyfphBVbmo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMcHbh6HBDk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIUf6dOGc1c

^_^

I will be following the blog religiously Josh. That first album is awesome.

One small request, any chance you could upload future entries to Mediafire or similar.

The one you used for the first tape was a pain to use and makes you wait between downloads.

there's also this (the vinyl tin set):

operation_doomsday_metal_box_set_mf_doom

i think at this rate, they should re-release doomsday on reel to reel for purist collectors

Wow this thread is far out.

Taking photo's of tapes and posting them on-line? Lol.

If I was stoned, this thread would make me uncomfortable because I'd be getting The Fear that what I was reading was either 1) real, or 2) trolling. And I wouldn't be too sure what the fuck was going on.

(hence The Fear)

what's your deal exactly?

I don't take myself too seriously, well not all the time. I can have my moments.

What's your deal?

took myself too seriously

One small request, any chance you could upload future entries to Mediafire or similar.

The one you used for the first tape was a pain to use and makes you wait between downloads.

+1

^damn, good stuff

+1

Dudes, I appreciate the suggestion, in fact I need as much advice and constructive criticism as possible! I was wondering about that, kind of behind the times (I still forget megaupload is dead). I'll fire up my mediafire account, organize folders, and replace the links.

I was used to megaupload and rapidshare years ago, in fact I'm wondering if I should maybe start a youtube account for the uploads and links. My next other obstacle is figuring out a way to search and OCR non-Western scripts. I have quite a few Cantonese/Mandarin, Vietnamese, Thai (I think), and Arabic labeled tapes.

there's also this (the vinyl tin set):

operation_doomsday_metal_box_set_mf_doom

i think at this rate, they should re-release doomsday on reel to reel for purist collectors

Or 8-track with those wacky mid-song fade out and fade in's as the tape reel turns over.

My next other obstacle is figuring out a way to search and OCR non-Western scripts. I have quite a few Cantonese/Mandarin, Vietnamese, Thai (I think), and Arabic labeled tapes.

I can help with the Chinese tapes if you just want to PM me pics of the j-cards or something.

My next other obstacle is figuring out a way to search and OCR non-Western scripts. I have quite a few Cantonese/Mandarin, Vietnamese, Thai (I think), and Arabic labeled tapes.

I can help with the Chinese tapes if you just want to PM me pics of the j-cards or something.

Oh right on. I'm going to give Google Docs a whirl but that's good to know. I'd cite you and all.

Demagnetizing/cleaning my deck tonight and hopefully getting a good head start for next week's posts. In the meantime I uploaded a backmasked Pink Floyd album I found.

I've been listening to a tape called True Romances from Topline Records

It's late 50's early 60's (I think) love songs) - pretty sweet, quite strange some of them! Some of them are uber-catchy and fun to listen to...

^_^

Yeah some nice "oldies" and light music comps show up often at thrift stores. I'm sure they popular at time on tape, having dozens on one format: most of those were originally 45 rpm singles.

Archived