IGNORED

tapes!

kokoon

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello all, it has taken me about a year to read through the rules thoroughly, but I have finally grokked them fully.

This thread inspired me to start up a tape collection. Yesterday, I went to my local Goodwill/thrift store and I was pretty surprised at what I found.

I copped these for $3 total:

- 808 State - Gorgeous

- Jack the Tab - Teckno Acid Beat

- ESP Volume 2 - The Trance Groove

- Vicious Vinyl - Techno-Rave Compilation

- Polygon Window - (Surfing On Sine Waves)

- Some unnamed tape with dark ambient/noise/drone

I was really surprised to see the Polygon Window tape. I might put some pics up later to see if anyone recognizes the dark ambient tape.

Also: I found this site, http://noise-arch.net/. It has a bunch of ambient/collage/random tapes from earlier days; there's some really cool stuff on there. Kind of similar to the sweetthunder website in the way that these recordings are super limited.

• 4 weeks later...

Just found this gem from my youth at the parents house (hidden amongst their showtune / crooner / classical cassettes that haven't been played for decades lol)

Still sounds dope too! :music:

R-1079775-1191400370.jpeg

I'm officially hooked! Too broke to delve into vinyl and too nostalgic to resist collecting and listening to cassettes. Bought a used Technics deck and have been browsing thrift stores for fun. Going to start ordering a few new releases once I get the deck properly cleaned up. Not finding too many electronic releases (nabbed a KLF single though) but there are always novelty recordings and a surprising number of Arabic and Southeast Asian albums people seem to donate in bulk here in Austin. I even made an actual mixtape for my wife as a anniversary memento last week. Finding new blank tapes quickly in stores was a doozy - a worker at Fry's Electronics had no idea what I was talking about.

On a somewhat related note, totally kicking myself in the ass for not jumping on a 8-track cassette player I saw for $10 in a pile at Goodwill. When I was a kid, there used to be one at my grandparent's house, with a copy of Abbey Road left inside. Those seem a lot harder to find in working condition for a decent price, I bet I could of made a fair profit if I bought and sold it online. Which is ironic, because I've heard they are gloriously craptacular in terms of fidelity.

Wow this thread is far out.

Taking photo's of tapes and posting them on-line? Lol.

If I was stoned, this thread would make me uncomfortable because I'd be getting The Fear that what I was reading was either 1) real, or 2) trolling. And I wouldn't be too sure what the fuck was going on.

(hence The Fear)

- Some unnamed tape with dark ambient/noise/drone

Anybody recognize this?

zAOugl.jpg

cool

cool indeed, tried finding it myself and came up with death to the world...

rUhOk.jpg

If I was stoned, this thread would make me uncomfortable because I'd be getting The Fear that what I was reading was either 1) real, or 2) trolling. And I wouldn't be too sure what the fuck was going on.

(hence The Fear)

what's your deal exactly?

(hence The Fear)

what's your deal exactly?

I don't take myself too seriously, well not all the time. I can have my moments.

What's your deal?

Anyway back to the tapes.

I have a nice set of Jean M Jarre tapes. Zoolook, Equinoxe, Concerts in China, Oxygen, Very pukka. (truth)

No need to post photo's as you all know what a tape looks like. Unless you want to wank over them :lol:

rUhOk.jpg

Haha, I appreciate the effort. I don't think the tape has anything to do with those links though. I don't really get why you would donate a limited edition tape like this to goodwill, but I'm not complaining. It was probably the same person who gave away the Polygon Window tape I picked up on the same trip.

Edit: My current deal is watching that live 30 Rock episode.

rUhOk.jpg

Haha, I appreciate the effort. I don't think the tape has anything to do with those links though. I don't really get why you would donate a limited edition tape like this to goodwill, but I'm not complaining. It was probably the same person who gave away the Polygon Window tape I picked up on the same trip.

Edit: My current deal is watching that live 30 Rock episode.

Same here, I was like "YES...wait nevermind..." But whoever did the art conjured up imagery that google deems dark and esoteric, which is a neat coincidence. I'm flabbergasted you found it and the Polygon Window cassette at Goodwill, I'd expect to find those at a proper used record shop.

Guest Forestranger

I just got a Julia Holter NNA tape in the mail.

Remember these?

67QcK.jpg

I had an uncle who had the Nakamichi Dragon. Used to use it to fill these bad boys up. Tried to find them recently on the web. 80 rats each...bullshit.

Nostalgia can be expensive.

metal tapes? yes I remember them they were very expensive and if I remember correctly you had to have a special setting on your tape deck to play them.

I think I owned only a few of them, filled with glorious 80's hip-hop/electro.

anyone ever remember how the sleeves on some cassettes smelled? like a cherry smell? i know i didnt imagine that

i can confirm that cherry-smell. so you're not the only one ;)

i dont have any tapes, but a friend of mine has about 200 cassettes full of techno from the early 90-ies (most of them self-recorded). He also has a Nakamichi Dragon, so his cassettes have a great sound quality.

but i used to have some cassettes with prog-rock from the 70ies, i still own the walkman, this beauty:

1984-10-WM-DD2.jpg

Archived