IGNORED

Brian Eno - Small Craft on a Milk Sea

Guest extherium

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seven Sessions On A Milk Sea

Seven Sessions On A Milk Sea is a new series of performance films featuring “brand new,

improvised compositions” from Brian Eno and his collaborators Jon Hopkins and Leo Abrahams.

The first two sessions are available to watch now, with one new session to be premiered each

week for the next five weeks. The films were made in Eno’s London studio, and are intended

to give some insight into the process behind the recording of his

new album Small Craft On A Milk Sea, out now on Warp.

I've heard the second disk. I think it's alright stuff, very much in line with the first disk, but perhaps a little weaker. It's only 12 minutes overall which makes me wonder why it was not stuffed into the first disk. Perhaps for layout reasons, but I find that kind of saddening, because after all, the second disc does not give much. Leaves a "this is it?" feeling.

Twelve minutes. That's ridiculous. I was under the impression it would be a bit longer than that.

Warp need to remember that sone people are forking out for a vinyl version they may not really want but have no choice if they want the extra tracks.

That's fine but twelve minutes of music - wtf.

Has anyone heard the iTunes bonus track "Loose Rein"? Has it even been released yet?

I think the Japanese bonus track "Invisible" was one of the best tracks on the album so anything that leans on the ambient side could turn out to be a worthy surprise for me.

The problem with 'Loose Rein' is that someone will have to buy the whole album in iTunes (shitty 256 kbps) because the track cannot be bought individually.

Adds insult to injury really.

The problem with 'Loose Rein' is that someone will have to buy the whole album in iTunes (shitty 256 kbps) because the track cannot be bought individually.

Wow, that's low. This could have been the only time ever that I would have been ready to put a buck into that AIDS pile.

Kind of surprises me really that Eno (and Bleep for that matter) agreed to that.

It means that there will never be any way to listen to that track except at an awfully bad bit rate. No version on CD, no FLAC download. Utter shite.

The reason why it wasn't stuffed onto the first disc was due to a pure and cynical marketing move.

They were left out so Warp could charge more.

Warp do seem to be taking the piss more and more with their current releases, £250, or even £60 for a record is way too much. I wonder if it isn't going to backfire on them a little - I was absolutely up for buying this when it first got announced, now more likely to just torrent it TBH.

My favourite warp scam was the 'limited, one-off flying lotus art print' that you got through buying comogramma through bleep. It was a postcard.

Warp have pulled off this rip-off with a lot of their releases over the past few years. Now and again the bonus tracks are available to buy individually on iTunes, but often as not it seems necessary to buy the whole album. I bought the £65 box set (it's worth it to me as it's beautiful, even though the playing surfaces of the CDs look scuffed and shitty), plus the CD from Rough Trade with the bonus CD (cheaper than buying the Japanese CD just for 'Invisible'), but a further exclusive purchase through iTunes is ridiculous and too much even for my OCD tendencies. Hard to see this multi-format bollocks as anything other than a cynical ploy to rake in as much cash as possible (although I admit noone's putting a gun to my head forcing me to pay for anything). Also can't see how Warp or Eno would be opposed to it though, it's just more potential profit for them.

I should have clarified it a bit. Sorry. I meant that I was surprised Eno would let something be released at such a low resolution quality, given the type of aesthetic/quality he goes for.

Warp too, with their trumpeting of 24bit downloads seem quite happy to let this out at 256 Kbps. That's laughable.

jesus christ.

btw, don't know if it was mentioned before, but "Loose Rein" IS "Invisible"

Really? Ah, that's okay then. No need for us all to worry about buying an iTunes edition.

holy shit, the wire absolutely slated this: http://www.moredarkthanshark.org/eno_int_wire-dec10.html

the wire can suck my balls, i will admit the production is a bit clean, but wtf horse, flint march, the emeralds, lesser heaven, invisible, late antroposcene, bone jump, slow moon, calcium needles, 2 forms of anger all evoke images and emotions for me. more so than most music this year

but hey opinions, that just seemed way over the top...

That Wire review is little bit over-the-top, I reckon. The guy doesn't even explain why he doesn't like it apart from saying it's nit as good as Eno's output from twenty-five years ago.

Isn't that the same for any artist. Sure, Another Green World was amazing but it was created by a different man almost a life time ago. Personally, I think the new album has a lot of good stuff on it.

Guys, I just listened to the 30 second clip of Loose Rein. It's not the same. It's a completely different track with a kind of twangy guitar in it.

It's definitely not the track 'invisible', I know because I have the Japanese album.

wow sorry if this has been mentioned already in this thread but the Wire magazine just tore this disc a new asshole, the reviewer refused to even mentioned the album title because of how much he resented it

to defend the reviewer a little bit i can see where he's coming from. Since Eno has become a famous producer and worker for hire for companies like Microsoft his own personal output has been overly polished to the point where it is almost indistinguishable from his commissioned material. i will say the reviewer seems like he set out to knock eno down a few pegs, probably because of how overexposed he is and lets be honest he's credited with a lot of things that he shouldn't be credited for (like inventing ambient)

Archived