IGNORED

Brian Eno - Small Craft on a Milk Sea

Guest extherium

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Scrambled Ears

I guess I'm one of the few on here that thinks the £250 edition is actually pretty good value.

My reasoning is that 1) Eno has only released one other album this decade, 2) two hundred and fifty copies worldwide is still fairly limited, 3) the copper plate and exclusive print are rather unique things in themselves and finally, Eno rarely signs anything.

For some fans and collectors, just the sign numbered print would be worth more than the asking price.

well you know its just frustrating because I would hope that eno would prefer that people spend their money on instruments and whatnot...but i guess its for rich people right?

I guess I'm one of the few on here that thinks the £250 edition is actually pretty good value.

My reasoning is that 1) Eno has only released one other album this decade, 2) two hundred and fifty copies worldwide is still fairly limited, 3) the copper plate and exclusive print are rather unique things in themselves and finally, Eno rarely signs anything.

For some fans and collectors, just the sign numbered print would be worth more than the asking price.

well you know its just frustrating because I would hope that eno would prefer that people spend their money on instruments and whatnot...but i guess its for rich people right?

I don't think Eno is personally responsible for the price. That would be Warp.

Of course. This edition is firmly aimed at the kind of Eno fan who simply must have everything. People will complain but Warp will say that no-one is left out. Cheaper editions exist.

To a rich collector, dropping £250 on this is like you or I buying a loaf of bread.

One thing that has crossed my mind is what if this were BOC or Autechre? If they had some similar ultimate collectors box edition, would everyone on here have sprung for that?

Of course. This edition is firmly aimed at the kind of Eno fan who simply must have everything. People will complain but Warp will say that no-one is left out. Cheaper editions exist.

To a rich collector, dropping £250 on this is like you or I buying a loaf of bread.

One thing that has crossed my mind is what if this were BOC or Autechre? If they had some similar ultimate collectors box edition, would everyone on here have sprung for that?

as i've stated before, the only way to get this release on vinyl is to get the £60 edition. which isn't good value for money.

if they had made it possible to get hold of it on vinyl (even if it was just standard weight vinyl), and not hyped up the sale of the £250 Eno by making it available at a "specific time - preorder early to avoid disappointment" overhype, then i wouldn't be so offended about all this

edit: and autechre have done something similar - Quaristice steel case.

£33.

limited to 1000.

with more music in the package too

Indeed. It's the lack of a "vanilla" vinyl package that I find strange. This forum alone proves that there's a market for that, and that not everyone wants to spring for a £60 box set.

The £250 Collector's Edition is just another thing entirely.

as i've stated before, the only way to get this release on vinyl is to get the £60 edition. which isn't good value for money.

if they had made it possible to get hold of it on vinyl (even if it was just standard weight vinyl), and not hyped up the sale of the £250 Eno by making it available at a "specific time - preorder early to avoid disappointment" overhype, then i wouldn't be so offended about all this

£33.

limited to 1000.

I understand where you're coming from but a company like Warp simply don't care.

They will have priced that £60 set at a price they think people will be willing to pay.

I was at Tower Records in Osaka this morning and one member of staff told me they had already sold out their pre-allocation order for the 10,000 yen box edition.

£33.

limited to 1000.

At £33, I don't consider the Quaristice set in the same way. The Eno box is more than eight times more expensive. It's on another level entirely. The reason being that while they may be popular on here, Autchre have nowhere near the kind of pulling power as Brian Eno. We can all argue about the music but Eno sells just by the name alone.

Warp have done their homework.

£33.

limited to 1000.

At £33, I don't consider the Quaristice set in the same way. The Eno box is more than eight times more expensive. It's on another level entirely.

yeah i know, whole 'nother level. it's got etched copper, man

Im gonna release an album with a sleeve made from etched cheese

£250?

is it melted?

Pule*

"If you’re surprised that moose cheese is so expensive, then you’ll be floored by Pule, the most expensive cheese in the world. Pule comes from the Zasavica reserve north of Belgrade, capital of Serbia. A kilogram of the smoked cheese is priced at €1,000—around $616 per pound—but has no special ingredients beyond 25 liters of donkey milk."

*sounds like an Autechre track title

I'm only wanting the expensive vinyl edition for the four bonus tracks. I don't need vinyl. So that's what I call outrageously expensive. But there seems to be no other choice.

if people are enjoying it, that's great i'm not cynical about it. but as a true eno fan (i have like 20 of his albums, i listens to his music really really often) i have to say that i could not listen to the 2 'rythmic' track previews. i tried a few times but i had to stopped it, coz i thought they were really weak. that said, i kinda like this collector thing, sure its truly expensive but if you just want the bonus tracks, well you can get it (P2P, mediafire etc) so... regarding the sales, i'm not sure, Eno said in a interview that his installations cds (sold via his website, so kinda "rare") were selling like hundreds of records, not much. but those installations cds are kind of different from his "regular" albums (& much better :-P)

This year, the big news from the Eno front was a new solo album, an instrumental record called Small Craft on a Milk Sea, created in collaboration with keyboardist Jon Hopkins and guitarist Leo Abrahams.

that sentence does not make sense. ether its solo or its a collab

This year, the big news from the Eno front was a new solo album, an instrumental record called Small Craft on a Milk Sea, created in collaboration with keyboardist Jon Hopkins and guitarist Leo Abrahams.

that sentence does not make sense. ether its solo or its a collab

all of scott walker's albums have piles and piles of musicians - aka collaborators - on them.

Archived