IGNORED

Brian Eno - Small Craft on a Milk Sea

Guest extherium

From this interview:

Did signing to Warp Records influence the way the album sounds?

“No, not really. The only thing, the only little push in a certain direction was that they said at some point that they wanted five more tracks, you know, for giving away to dentists in Taiwan and all these sort-of special offers that record companies have to do now in a desperate attempt to get anyone to actually buy anything. So, I said: ‘Five more songs!’ So then I found five more pieces and they’re really good! The five I found are really good; I wish they’d been on the main album actually! But that was very nice you know, it’s not often that people actually ask you for something specific: give me more songs! Ok. [...]"

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From this interview:

“No, not really. The only thing, the only little push in a certain direction was that they said at some point that they wanted five more tracks, you know, for giving away to dentists in Taiwan and all these sort-of special offers that record companies have to do now in a desperate attempt to get anyone to actually buy anything. So, I said: ‘Five more songs!’ So then I found five more pieces and they’re really good! The five I found are really good; I wish they’d been on the main album actually! But that was very nice you know, it’s not often that people actually ask you for something specific: give me more songs! Ok. [...]"

Thanks for this.

There's a new session online: http://www.spex.de/2010/12/07/weltpremiere-brian-enos-session-video-big-thief-trudge-mit-leo-abrahams-und-jon-hopkins-video/

No one's still got Loose Rein?

i have it actually.

found a 192kbps mp3 on slsk

it's actually quite nice

The sample struck me as 80s/Lifeinthebushofghosts-ish

From this interview:

Thanks for finding that.

i have it actually.

That's a transcode isn't it? Given that the original is a 256kbps mp3, right? It's beyond my mind why anyone would downgrade from lossy to lossy though if that is the case.

Guest ruiagnelo

i have it actually.

That's a transcode isn't it? Given that the original is a 256kbps mp3, right? It's beyond my mind why anyone would downgrade from lossy to lossy though if that is the case.

yes it is a transcode.

i find weird also that someone downgraded the bitrate, but it's the only thing i could find

There was someone earlier in this thread who remarked that he found it incomprehensible that Mr. Eno releases music in lossless quality.

I found an interesting quote (in German) of the man himself in Groove magazine and am translating it back into English:

"I always listen to mp3 versions of my pieces to hear what they sound like. I'm afraid my hearing has deteriorated quite badly because I'm having a hard time to hear the difference between an mp3 file and a studio quality recording. Sometimes I can hear the difference, but I think mp3s sound much better than their reputation."

That was me.

Eno makes great albums but on this subject, he's talking rubbish.

I'm not so sure if I'm able to distinguish very well. Do you find a very big difference between iTunes, mp3 and wav versions? On any system or just high-end gear?

I find that it's most apparent on high-freq sounds such as hi-hats, would you agree?

Well there's certainly a difference between a studio recording and an mp3, in the same way there is difference between a lossless file and something bought from iTunes.

I guess some of it does depend on what kind of equipment one is using.

Guest ruiagnelo

Does anyone have the second session as a video file?

at a certain point i had all the seven videos and i remember the second one was really hard to get.

but then extracted the audio and deleted the videos, because they didn't have any interest for me.

Does anyone have the second session as a video file?

at a certain point i had all the seven videos and i remember the second one was really hard to get.

but then extracted the audio and deleted the videos, because they didn't have any interest for me.

That's interesting; I would appreciate if you could describe the procedure, or if you could get it again? Many thanks!

Shiiiiit this long Instant Nuclear Family jam is a killer !!! Love the voices in there.

Also thx for the uploaded sessions !

EDIT : even if Leo Abrahams looks like he's having no fun at all...Is he playing the same chord during the whole song ? I don't hear his guitar in the track. Maybe it's too heavily processed.

• 1 year later...

Archived