IGNORED

The Dark Knight Rises

Rubin Farr

Guest Gary C

tumblr_m5qgb7OgFS1r9rk3po1_250.gif

But yeah, I'm too busy around July 20th, so I won't be going to the cinema until about a week later. Allegedly the UK preview screenings have been pushed back in order to not spoil the ending for when it's released in America.

Pretty soon I'm going to have to stop reading spoilers and just turn off my internet all together in the final week.

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Gary C

I'm not bursting like that gif. I'll go see it, and more than likely enjoy everything about it. If it's really fucking good I might go twice. I'll buy the boxset.

But for the past year, probably in conjunction with how bored and unhappy I am at work, I've read everything that's come out.

But when the film's actually out, I think it might be nigh impossible to avoid spoilers.

[youtubehd]lEx9r5enZsk[/youtubehd]

that just set the tone for Batman for the rest of my goddamn life, and it was a privilege to witness it. That's about as perfect a cartoon superhero adaptation as you could possibly hope for.

Yeah, that cartoon was by far my favorite as a kid, I used to rush home to watch it after school everyday. The music and tones were just perfect, defined Batman for me as well. I REALLY wish they'd throw the whole series up on Netflix, I'd love to watch them all through. The Collector's Edition of the Gotham Knight DVD of animated shorts came with a few episodes from TAS but it just made me wanna see the whole series even more.

The trailer for Batman when I went to see Prometheus this weekend had the sound turned up abnormally louder than all the other trailers, and I thought my ears were gonna explode.

Yeah, noticed it too, especially when Bane spoke it sounded like it was just sloppily ADRed over the trailer. I have a feeling this movie will be a stinking turd.

I hope not - I did hear where they did some stuff in post as Bane wasn't clearly understandable in the early trailers due to the actor speaking directly through the mask/respirator thing.

I don't think it will top the last movie in terms of popularity and lasting appeal, though. We'll find out soon enough.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think it will top the last movie in terms of popularity and lasting appeal, though. We'll find out soon enough.

I don't wanna be mean or anything, but part of The Dark Knight's popularity was because of Heath Ledger's performance AND death.

Guest ruiagnelo

I don't wanna be mean or anything, but part of The Dark Knight's popularity was because of Heath Ledger's performance AND death.

I have to agree with this. I mean, Heath Ledger made the Dark Knight...

Guest Mirezzi

lol, my ass. Begins was fucking terrible...even worse than TDK.

Fuck a bunch of Qui-Gon ninja Batman nonsense. zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

The only one I will enjoy years from now will be Keaton / Nicholson. I'll forget all about the kevlar/carbon fiber nipple ninjas by then...

Batman>Who>Gives>A>Shit>They're>All>Fucking>Stupid.

Guest Frankie5fingers

lol, my ass. Begins was fucking terrible...even worse than TDK.

Fuck a bunch of Qui-Gon ninja Batman nonsense. zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

The only one I will enjoy years from now will be Keaton / Nicholson. I'll forget all about the kevlar/carbon fiber nipple ninjas by then...

Batman>Who>Gives>A>Shit>They're>All>Fucking>Stupid.

while i don't agree with all of that i will agree that Batman (Keaton/Nicholson) is hands down the best.

Guest Mirezzi

Ledger's was the best performance.

Arguable, but wow, talk about an irrelevant performance. He went out with quite a whimper in the end since Nolan's entire filmography will barely be a pop-culture footnote in 50 years.

Ledger's was the best performance.

Arguable, but wow, talk about an irrelevant performance. He went out with quite a whimper in the end since Nolan's entire filmography will barely be a pop-culture footnote in 50 years.

Yep.

The 15 year olds that actually liked The Dark Knight will grow up and realize the movie was dull and overhyped garbage.

People complain about Prometheus, The Dark Knight was all over the place, didn't make any sense at all. It felt like i was watching 8 different movies.

Guest Frankie5fingers

Ledger's was the best performance. Nicholson's was the most important.

while Ledger's performance was great he forgot something. the funny. i don't mean like telling jokes but the Joker was a psychotic CLOWN killer. not just a psychotic killer. he did have some parts where he showed this but not throughout the entire performance like Nicholson did. Like the scene blowing up the Hospital. or some funny comments here and there. thats how the Joker acted in the comics. but Nicholson had those moments throughout Batman.

Guest Mirezzi

All the same, I'll go see this at the 2D IMAX and I'm sure the images and sounds will be cool. Well, excluding Bale's orgasmic growling of course...and anything that comes out of Hathaway...and Hans Zimmer's uninspired bloated passgastrack.

:crazy:

Guest Frankie5fingers

yeah same. itll be entertaining and in the end thats all i need to spend money to see it.

while Ledger's performance was great he forgot something. the funny. i don't mean like telling jokes but the Joker was a psychotic CLOWN killer. not just a psychotic killer. he did have some parts where he showed this but not throughout the entire performance like Nicholson did. Like the scene blowing up the Hospital. or some funny comments here and there. thats how the Joker acted in the comics. but Nicholson had those moments throughout Batman.

alright, im gonna go out on a limb here and say that Nolan conceptualized the idea of a "Joker" very differently in terms of character intention.

I have a strong hunch he wanted more of a Shakespearean Joker, the court jester who would mock the weaknesses and stupidities of the main characters (often in positions of perceived power or some sort of supposed arbiters of morality in medieval society), in certain circumstances doing it in such a harsh and direct way that it drove some of the protagonists insane.

But people that hate the Dark Knight are welcome to hate on it, I don't see it as a horrible movie. Sorry.

edit; I don't actually think Im sorry; I find the immense amount of hatred and disdain for Nolan and his movies pretty enjoyable.

editedit: in retrospect, i am admittedly ashamed that I tried to compare this movie in anyway with Shakespeare.

its still a good movie tho

Guest Frankie5fingers

alright, im gonna go out on a limb here and say that Nolan conceptualized the idea of a "Joker" very differently in terms of character intention.

I have a strong hunch he wanted more of a Shakespearean Joker, the court jester who would mock the weaknesses and stupidities of the main characters (often in positions of perceived power or some sort of supposed arbiters of morality in medieval society), in certain circumstances doing it in such a harsh and direct way that it drove some of the protagonists insane.

But people that hate the Dark Knight are welcome to hate on it, I don't see it as a horrible movie. Sorry.

edit; I don't actually think Im sorry; I find the immense amount of hatred and disdain for Nolan and his movies pretty enjoyable.

editedit: in retrospect, i am admittedly ashamed that I tried to compare this movie in anyway with Shakespeare.

its still a good movie tho

oh i don't hate the movie. don't get me wrong. I loved it in fact. and thats an interesting look at it. i didn't think about it like that. im not one of those "the book was better" people (or in this case "Comic book" lol) but changing the character's dynamic seems a little wrong to me. especially when the Joker in the first place was Sick as Fuck. in the end though all Jokers suck compared to the one in the comics. if he was in a film that be an instant NC-17 film probably. lol. all in all, Heath was a great Joker, but i just felt that Nicholson hit it a little more on the head.

Nicholson is one of my favorite actors, but his role as the joker is clearly not meant to be analyzed that deeply. The fact is, Tim Burton's Batman is actually pretty bad and the Joker was a role that seems like Jack treated as a fun little diversion because the light-hearted, silly tone of the movie didn't call for a deeply invested performance. "Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?" is an awesome line, and his presence and persona as an actor adds more to the role than anything in the story could. But the movie itself has aged badly, and I hardly ever use that turn of phrase.

Heath Ledger's Joker relies less on the reputation of himself as an actor in a role people could easily see him in (quite the opposite actually) and completely defies expectations. And it ends up being less of a gimmick and something more memorable. I like how he keeps changing the story of how he got his scars.

Archived