IGNORED

The Dark Knight Rises

Rubin Farr

saw this on R***** just today, coinkydink

BmN0V.jpg

means nothing because Smith has horrendous taste in comic books, Burton's batman was good, at least the joker kills a lot of people instead of rigging a bomb on a boat that never goes off. He also kills an art gallery filled with people instead of blowing up a hospital that contained... no one

without Burton's batman we wouldnt have had the best Batman adaptation, the animated series

and to say Nolan was inspired by the 'good comics' is sort of funny because A) he was heavily inspired by the Tim Burton batman, he still uses the same all black costume B) he was heavily inspired by the animated series for Batman Begins by choosing Ras and Scarecrow as the villain, even using the drugs in the water supply plot

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

poorly choreographed fight scenes ... A scene that stuck out was when they jumped a guy that was holding a gun fixed to a vehicle; He never reacted by firing the gun, or flinching. He just stood there holding on to the gun going through the painfully robotic motions of getting taken down.

yeah, that was jarringly obvious. they should've done those right. but I forgave it.

one thing I can't get over though is the bomb... it was a nuclear weapon. what about the fallout? flying it out to sea in the Bat in the last 30 seconds before detonation would not have been a clean escape.

it's a nuclear weapon, but I think it was an Atomic Bomb as opposed to a hydrogen bomb... maybe there's a difference.

Kevin Smith and Burton both suck, Smith more so.

You've got it backwards. It was supposed be a fusion device (a hydrogen bomb is actually a fusion device, but it depends on at least one fission stage). An A-bomb is a straight ahead fission weapon. Fallout comes from the fission stages in both weapons.

In-film, we're supposed to believe this was some kind of revolutionary fusion device, so I guess you're supposed to suspend disbelieve and assume that it could become a bomb without a significant fallout-producing fission reaction.

http://en.wikipedia....e_fusion_weapon

pretty sure they describe it as a neutron bomb in the film - ie a nuclear bomb designed to minimise the destructive blast but maximise radiation output.

either way it still makes almost no sense how Batman was able to escape from the explosion, not because of the fallout but because of the blast radius

Yes, this was harder for me to swallow. Also, the interminable catwoman snog prior to flying the bomb a safe distance away.

pretty sure they describe it as a neutron bomb in the film - ie a nuclear bomb designed to minimise the destructive blast but maximise radiation output.

I missed that. It's just fucking bad writing, then.

either way it still makes almost no sense how Batman was able to escape from the explosion, not because of the fallout but because of the blast radius

Comic books.

Superheroes.

I can't tell you how sorta saddening it is to see that people can't have the Burton and Nolan Batman films to have their own respective niches. I find it sorta pathetic really. Say what you will, they both have plenty of flaws, but still garnered critical acclaim and inspired their own generations to love what was my favorite childhood superhero again.

The mere fact that these men probably got younger kids to check out the Animated Series is a flawless victory AFAIC.

I like both the Burton and Nolan versions. I don't love either one, but I like them. It's just Batman, but they both got more right than wrong (BF and B&R are instructive here as examples of Batman getting everything wrong).

Batman was probably the high water mark of Burton's career, tonally and stylistically, before everything started to look like Tim Burton'stm faux-expressionist filmic wank fantasies over Depp/Bonham Carter in black/white/red horizontal striped leggings. He's fucking awful now, but the 1989 Batman felt fresh and exciting.

I still remember being 7 or 8 and getting absolutely silly with excitement at the little teaser half-revealed-batlogo posters for the '89 Batman.

• 2 weeks later...

saw this on R***** just today, coinkydink

BmN0V.jpg

I was listening to the How Did This Get Made? Podcast with him on it as a guest and he seemed full of praise for the Burton Batman.

Just wanna say, finally got around to seeing TDKR this past weekend and I really loved it. I thought the story was pretty interesting and the action was very good. The Dark Knight will still be my favorite of the three, but this one was awesome. I also had a hard time understanding Bane, and it took a good wikipedia plot summary afterwards to full understand everything that happened. That comic up above points out that terribly awkward and forced Clean Slate discussion that had me cringing in the theatre but other than that I thought overall this was a great movie, with a great ending

the story was a little far fetched but with Nolan at the wheel it avoided being a car crash

Nolan co-wrote the story and screenplay.

:cerious:

i thought his brother did?

Also, that comic was pretty funny, but Ive noticed that a lot of critics of TDKR have no problem pointing out its plotholes exceptionally well in some cases, but completely missing it in others and ironically ending up making themselves look stupid for failing to point out the stupidity of a certain scene.

Case in point: Wayne escaping the pit. IT DOESNT FUCKING SAY HOW HE GOT BACK BECAUSE IT DOESNT HAVE TO. Is there a finite time between him escaping and showing back up in Gotham? No? Then he could have returned by a number of ways, all of which involve different variants of time. This is not hard to grasp. Its not like you watch a TV adaptation of The Count of Monte Cristo and suddenly "DERP DERP HOWD HE GET OUT DAT HIDEYHOLE AHURRHURR"

In addition, would you really want to watch an extra half hour of Wayne begging for change in some Calcutta-esque city in order to afford a ticket back to the States? Or whatever the fuck else he might have done to get back to Gotham?

The only thing I loved about this movie was Bane. What a cool badass bad-guy. I could really relate to his hatred and I hoped he would do bad stuff to Gotham. But then that cheap...

the story was a little far fetched but with Nolan at the wheel it avoided being a car crash

Nolan co-wrote the story and screenplay.

:cerious:

i thought his brother did?

His bro co-wrote the screenplay with him.

Chris co-wrote the story w/ some other dude.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1345836/fullcredits?mode=desktop

• 2 months later...

new rumors that JGL has signed on to play Batman in Justice League and possibly his own series:

http://www.hitfix.co...-justice-league

eh....JGL would make a great Nightwing..he has the face and maybe physicality for it....but Batman? the man doesn't look imposing at all.

however I was wrong about Heath Ledger becoming the Joker, so, who knows.

Archived