IGNORED

The Dark Knight Rises

Rubin Farr

Yeah that "court" looked like something taken from Brazil or Kafka's "The Trial", in a very good way. Bane got more and more charismatic during the movie, he was a great supervillain. Plus the fact that not the entirety of the movie was based on the supervillain character made TDKR better than Dark Knight.

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Gary C

The disaster aspect was good, but I don't think it was portrayed for long enough. We only really see Selina having second thoughts, the court scene montages, Gordon and Miranda working together and the cops receiving food packages.

Actually, there's that bit about the undercover FBI guys too.

I just never got a strong enough sense that the city was a wasteland. The first half of the film is all build-up, and as the second-half is interposed with Bruce climbing the well it just didn't seem to connect properly.

We only really saw one street of normal citizens. Foley's house. They didn't seem to be in peril, but all stepped out of their houses at the end like a triumphant new dawn. What the fuck were they doing? Just sitting inside and waiting to die? That's not an inspired Gotham.

Guest Shit Attack

think this probably was the most overblown movie ive ever seen, then again might just not have been in the mood for it + would watch it again if it was free. 1st half was okay but once they chucked batman in the pit seemed like it became a bunch of different movies all spliced together semi randomly or something. nah this movie was baaaad

Guest Gary C

From Bane's voice in the first 5 minutes, to Bruce making that jump because he 'believed', to a kid being able to make the same jump, to Bruce miraculously appearing in Gotham, Bane being ruined as a frightening villain in a flashback, Miranda's death-speech and then Batman miraculously escaping a nuclear blast. I was left thinking 'that kinda sucked'. So let down.

Oh God, and then that 'Robin' shit.

On second thoughts, it really sucked.

Guest Shit Attack

dunno why but the bit when mathew modine got ran over sticks out as the lowest point in my mind . his whole character was totaly pointless too

Guest Gary C

dunno why but the bit when mathew modine got ran over sticks out as the lowest point in my mind . his whole character was totaly pointless too

Oh God, I forgot about that. It was so strange I almost laughed.

You know they filmed a scene where he gets run over by the tumbler and bounces off the roof? It looked alright, probably not instant-death though. But for some reason Nolan went with Miranda inside the vehicle just saying 'shoot, shoot, shoot him'... and then a cut to a sleeping Matthew Modine. Why did Miranda really give a fuck to shoot a lazy police sergeant anyway? I don't think they'd ever shared a scene.

Dark Knight had it's bad parts and obviously every superhero film is going to bend logic, but The Prestige and Inception are really pretty slick. Either Nolan took a paycheque and wanted to have fun making BIG THINGS happen without giving a fuck, or he's a hack and we've all been duped.

Guest Gary C

I do like Insomnia, but I think I'd need to watch Memento in the 'correct' order to determine whether it's a bit shit underneath. The headfuck aspect will undoubtedly cloud your judgement a bit.

Hack is strong, but there are so many stupid things in TDKR that it feels like they're not honest mistakes. Maybe he was just tired of the franchise in the end too, and bashed through editing. Maybe there'll be a directors' cut.

I do like Insomnia, but I think I'd need to watch Memento in the 'correct' order to determine whether it's a bit shit underneath. The headfuck aspect will undoubtedly cloud your judgement a bit.

Hack is strong, but there are so many stupid things in TDKR that it feels like they're not honest mistakes. Maybe he was just tired of the franchise in the end too, and bashed through editing. Maybe there'll be a directors' cut.

yeah, good points. I still stand by my original rating, it was by far the weakest of the trilogy, but still an enjoyable watch.

the thing with Nolan as a big time director for me isn't that hes the best director around, but that hes probably the best big-budget movie director around. Would you honestly rather watch another Michael Bay movie, or a thriller by Nolan?

He won't make it anywhere near the list of great directors, but he's miles above the Bruckheimer billion dollar sludge we've been pelted with for the past decade.

Guest Jimmy McMessageboard

yeah they didnt spend enough time on anything / tried to pack too much in. maybe a 3 1/2 hour version bluray will sort it out

Guest Roksen Creek

the thing with Nolan as a big time director for me isn't that hes the best director around, but that hes probably the best big-budget movie director around. Would you honestly rather watch another Michael Bay movie, or a thriller by Nolan?

He won't make it anywhere near the list of great directors, but he's miles above the Bruckheimer billion dollar sludge we've been pelted with for the past decade.

I'd certainly agree with this. The only problem is that I have to keep hearing from those who only watch blockbuster films how Nolan is the greatest director ever, and how his films are so "deep".

It was the same with The Matrix when that came out.

Sometimes I wish blockbuster films would just stay stupid, so the plebs would be forced to look away from them for more cerebral edification. Though I guess I'm kidding myself that they would actually do that.

On a similar note, anyone seen this tweet from Hideo Kojima:

HIDEO_KOJIMA (@hideo_kojima_en)

Saw "Dark Knight Rises". Extraordinary big in scale! This ain't movie anymore, this is the reality of the world we live in. Not a fiction in Gotham City, it is the city we live tomorrow. Not merely a movie based on American Comics, it is the story of our shadow and hope.

okay, i've been avoiding this thread for fear of spoilers....just saw the movie though. not gonna read through all 34 pages, at least not now.

the end was very well done, the last act overall was what pulled me into the movie the most. but one of the first thoughts i had about this was that maybe it should've been two movies. i'm not too keen on the whole splitting up of movie franchises to make money, but this film seemed to lend itself towards that perhaps. the first part could've been Bane and Selina Kyle (with her portrayed more as a stock villain, to have her loyalty shifted towards good in part 2) and ended with Batman perhaps dead at Bane's hands and Bane taking control of the city, explosions and all that. Part 2 would've been Wayne in exile in the prison and all, only to come back of course and fix everything.

yeah this isn't really very well hashed out but this movie just seemed like a bit much all glossed over and thrown in without enough room to breath (lol Bane joke!). i enjoyed the movie don't get me wrong, was just an idea.

one thing i noticed is that if you watch the Burton PG-13 batman movies they seem far more gorey and violent than anything Nolan has done. This is either because the studios wont allow such a violent pg-13 anymore or a conscious choice on his part. I just watched Pt 1 and 2 again, the way the penguin and joker go out is pretty gnarly and definitely not for kids.

in this thread i will remind everyone that Unbreakable is still the best super hero movie of all time next to Superman I or II

one thing i noticed is that if you watch the Burton PG-13 batman movies they seem far more gorey and violent than anything Nolan has done. This is either because the studios wont allow such a violent pg-13 anymore or a conscious choice on his part. I just watched Pt 1 and 2 again, the way the penguin and joker go out is pretty gnarly and definitely not for kids.

in this thread i will remind everyone that Unbreakable is still the best super hero movie of all time next to Superman I or II

i dunno, showing images of hanged people from a bridge, and bombs killing a couple of people at a football game seem pretty violent to me. oh yeah, and the people that Bane's henchmen indiscriminately killed at the stock market.

The violence at the hands of Bane actually seemed most disturbing to me out of all three movies, because it seems so callous and detached.

so i watched this a second time with a friend that didnt catch it the first week, and there is one thing that seriously pisses me off about this movie now (sorry i gotta be a nitpicky bastard on this):

Liam Neeson's appearance. Just bad writing from what I can tell. If he's a hallucination, how did Bruce gain all of the relevant new information subconsciously? Was Bane talking about AL GHul's adventuring days as a mercenary and the relationship to the kid while Wayne was sleeping in the prison?

If he's not a hallucination, and indeed there are forms of immortality besides that of a physical body, then Nolan completely blew his statement that he would avoid anything overtly supernatural. It would have been much much better storywise if he actually was alive, because then it would parallel with Wayne's miraculous survival at the end of the movie.

I had more shit to say about this but I've already forgot. Other than this though, still enjoyed the movie. I dug the little parallel with both members of the Al Ghul family dying by falling vehicle into subsection of Gotham. Very similar death scenes.

Christopher Nolan is only 42, which is actually pretty young for a film director. I know I'm looking forward to what he does next.

i also thought the soundtrack was very good for this batman movie, better than the previous 3.

'gotham's reckoning' is particularly effective. I truly believe that Chris nolan has pushed Zimmer to be less of a hack, the stuff he did for inception and this is pretty good, better than most of his other soundtrack work

Guest Rabid

The soundtrack was okay, but it was too loud. There were times when I couldn't hear the dialogue, but it could've been my theater's fault.

Edit: I just saw Kermode's review where he mentions having trouble understanding Bane. Glad I wasn't the only one.

i also thought the soundtrack was very good for this batman movie, better than the previous 3.

'gotham's reckoning' is particularly effective. I truly believe that Chris nolan has pushed Zimmer to be less of a hack, the stuff he did for inception and this is pretty good, better than most of his other soundtrack work

Haven't seen the batman flick yet, but I thought Zimmer's work on Inception (with Johnny Marr) was friggin' amazing. "Time" and "The Dream Collapses" (think I'm getting the names right) are stunning tracks. I often think of the score to Inception, even though I wasn't that fond of the film itself.

Archived