IGNORED

best live sets

phudoshin

For the final week of the listening club.... lets check out the amazing live sets that Squarepusher has given us.... in my opinion, Tom Jenkinson at his very best. Here's the best from each era of the mighty Squarepusher on the road

Lille 1996 - earliest live gig available?

Tokyo: Liquid Room 1997 - HND/BL gig

Japan: Alive in Japan 2001 / Sydney Frigid Club - GP tour

Roppongi/Phoenix 2004 - UV tour

Boston - Venus EP gig

Sweden 2009 - HE/JAS tour

Sheffield 2009 - Archive set

I'm looking forward to the Shobaleader live tour which is gonna be a headbanging trip as always despite the naysayers

what do you think of squarepushers live-set progression over the last decade and a half? the above list shows 7 era's so far and each of them is so fuccking amazing....... looking forward the the shobleader tour... I think he'll twist those tracks into a trippy willy-wonka ride of neon armageddon!

Its the sheer energy and piling on of intense beats/noise/melody that gets me everytime. I don't think anyone can touch him in this regard.

I think his sets are usually lame, warp 20 being the exception since there's tons of goodies, seeing a guy trying to play bass to pre-recording tracks... no thanks, his brother setup is much more appealing, I think even Tom realized this and started pushing the band thing.

Guest Dirty Protest

I think his sets are usually lame, warp 20 being the exception since there's tons of goodies, seeing a guy trying to play bass to pre-recording tracks... no thanks, his brother setup is much more appealing, I think even Tom realized this and started pushing the band thing.

Have you ever seen him live?

Anytime he plays Wang is always the just about the most fun you can have in a club.

Have you ever seen him live?

Anytime he plays Wang is always the just about the most fun you can have in a club.

I would love to hear SQ tracks on a big live system but I would rather see Aphex dj'ing SQ tracks than go see the man himself play bass frenetically on top of his tracks. Hopefully this time will be different if the Shobaleader band comes together.

He doesn;t just play over his own tracks especially in recent years - He has reems of effects pedals that interfere with whatever tracks he's on....... What do you expect... for him to reconstruct all the tracks on the fly? Just listen to the above sets... I can;t listen to his studio albums much now because they lack the intensity and energy of the live sets. I'd understand if it was someone else playing over his tunes but its the man himself who twists his own tunes further and further.

I fucking love it when Aphex drops a squarepusher tune!

I would like if remixed the backing tracks somehow, from what I've seen and heard what he does live is too raw for my taste, the way he just mangles and glitches the tracks has the opposite effect. On the warp20 set he also remixed old tracks with new and that was a nice fresh take on the studio tracks.

Yes yes yes. Last year at Ewer street car park was fucking mental. One of my best nights of the whole year.

Archived