IGNORED

What Is Your Day Job

Guest morphis2525

i think it still takes 7 years here. which is why i settled for interior design.

if i somehow won lots of money i'd love to go back and study architecture. i've considered trying to become a chartered architect (like a step down from full-fledged architect). do you have those there?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest ruiagnelo

i think it still takes 7 years here. which is why i settled for interior design.

if i somehow won lots of money i'd love to go back and study architecture. i've considered trying to become a chartered architect (like a step down from full-fledged architect). do you have those there?

well, i am not really familiar with UK's system, but i guess being a chartered architect means you are registered in a royal institute, right? but what does it really mean?

in Portugal, there is the Ordem dos Arquitectos (Architects Order) and you need to be a part of it and pay annual fees to be 'officially' an architect and develop work in that field.

if you are not part of it, you are not even considered an architect. quite an injustice, but that is another story.

edit: also 7 years is quite painful to think of. i am sure a restructure could reduce that length. it's about 1/3 of what i have already lived so far.

I just got a new job at the world's top selling microstock photographer. I tag photos, check for mistakes, and then I upload them. It really suits me because last time they told me I shouldn't work too long at a time because it gets really hard to focus after a couple of hours.

well, i am not really familiar with UK's system, but i guess being a chartered architect means you are registered in a royal institute, right? but what does it really mean?

i might have got this completely wrong cos like you say all architects will be registered to the institute. but i thought that you can work as a chartered architect without having achieved the full architect qualification. i have worked along-side many who operate as architects without being fully fledged. they tend to work more on residential or smaller commercial projects. i will have to double check if i'm completely mistaken.

I'm also a major international airport and I regularly need my Boeing's serviced.

that's pretty cool. i never realized you were an airport. do you use pickup lines like "i hope there's plenty of parking at your terminal" when trying to make it with the lady airports?

oh, and i'm a mental health counselor working with severely and persistently mentally ill adults

Guest ruiagnelo

i might have got this completely wrong cos like you say all architects will be registered to the institute. but i thought that you can work as a chartered architect without having achieved the full architect qualification. i have worked along-side many who operate as architects without being fully fledged. they tend to work more on residential or smaller commercial projects. i will have to double check if i'm completely mistaken.

so that means one can work on projects having just certain level of qualifications, but not full?

i can imagine that happening in some countries but in mine it is simply impossible.

there are 3 degrees of qualification:

1) license - three years, you get to work but no one will accept such low degree anymore.

2) master - five years, full qualification. in the last year you need to work on a thesis which will be your final 'exam'. you get to work with no qualification restrictions

3) doctorate - additional years of studying on a specific subject.

doctorate degree is becoming a serious problem in my country, at least from my point of view.

it can give one a false sense and image of credibility and ability to work.

there is this hypocrite idea that doctorates are better because somehow they have managed to go further with their studies and they achieve master status, even tho some architects here have virtually 0 experience and their work is limited to writing books or magazine articles, when architecture is clearly something related to making, rather than theorizing.

also architects now are required to have a doctorate degree so they can teach, which is and will increase the number of these 'paper' architects sharing their inexistent experience with us.

long gone is the time when architects really had field experience and real knowledge on construction materials and techniques.

Tadao Ando for example doesn't even have one single degree of qualification. go see his work and you will know what i mean.

No Keltoi Im not covered...I have a bracelet,two small circular designs at the top of each arm,one anklet,tiny flowers on my upper foot,an old religious symbol on my inner ankle,and a number seven on my outer ankle.and a little butterfly on the skin between my thumb and first finger.I always try to put girls off having them on their breasts or arses.Its not a trend Im fond of.

:smile:

I work at a Renault garage and run the parts department. I also do a fair bit of mechanics if they need me to. Very handy for my own car. Managed to rebuild the bottom end of my old 2.8 Capri without too much of a cost. :cat:

I do part time study at OU for web application development atm and will work my way on to some sort of degree in the near future.

so that means one can work on projects having just certain level of qualifications, but not full?

i can imagine that happening in some countries but in mine it is simply impossible.

there are 3 degrees of qualification:

1) license - three years, you get to work but no one will accept such low degree anymore.

2) master - five years, full qualification. in the last year you need to work on a thesis which will be your final 'exam'. you get to work with no qualification restrictions

3) doctorate - additional years of studying on a specific subject.

doctorate degree is becoming a serious problem in my country, at least from my point of view.

it can give one a false sense and image of credibility and ability to work.

there is this hypocrite idea that doctorates are better because somehow they have managed to go further with their studies and they achieve master status, even tho some architects here have virtually 0 experience and their work is limited to writing books or magazine articles, when architecture is clearly something related to making, rather than theorizing.

also architects now are required to have a doctorate degree so they can teach, which is and will increase the number of these 'paper' architects sharing their inexistent experience with us.

long gone is the time when architects really had field experience and real knowledge on construction materials and techniques.

Tadao Ando for example doesn't even have one single degree of qualification. go see his work and you will know what i mean.

with the economy and property market the way it is, i suppose becoming a lecturer rather than a practicing architect may be a more stable, viable option. i'm afraid this is the case in many professions these days with graduates/professionals competing for too few jobs.

typical route to becoming an architect in the uk...

it's likely i could by-pass a year or 2 with my experience but 5 years study is just not worth considering at my age. i'd do it in a heart beat if i won lots of money and didn't need to earn a salary while studying.

Guest disparaissant

since people seem to be talking about the future, my current plans are to get my ass back in school (halfway through a BA/BFA) and go all the way to phd in art history/archaeology.

i'd like to do so in england but i am not sure of the economic viability of this (though i do have loads of interweb friends who are offering everything from couches to crash on to sham marriages so i can stay around even if shit doesn't work out.)

Guest ruiagnelo

with the economy and property market the way it is, i suppose becoming a lecturer rather than a practicing architect may be a more stable, viable option. i'm afraid this is the case in many professions these days with graduates/professionals competing for too few jobs.

typical route to becoming an architect in the uk...

it's likely i could by-pass a year or 2 with my experience but 5 years study is just not worth considering at my age. i'd do it in a heart beat if i won lots of money and didn't need to earn a salary while studying.

it's quite similar to Portugal actually.

the 'crit' system is also essential in our art academies here, especially in architecture courses.

portuguese schools usually require maths [or/and] drawing subject [or/and] descriptive geometry as requirements to enter the course. my school for example required maths and descriptive geometry, and of those two, an average mark would be calculated, and if superior to the average established by the university, you would guarantee your entry.

in Porto for example, the oldest and most prestigious portuguese school, you only need one of the three subjects i mentioned. the average mark is higher, but you can chose to apply with your highest.

well, i think you should consider it as soon as you get a stable condition in your life.

it is never late.

some of my classmates already have one course, but wanted to get architecture and are happy studying it.

student

I also enter, into an online research database, bibliographic data on the works of Italian women writers born before 1945, lol

i want 2 b teacher

Is that like a "draftsman?"

Is that like a "draftsman?"

no. i'm 100% sure i've worked with "architects" that aren't fully accredited.

edit- i think this is what i'm talking about...

chartered architectural technologist

Worked as a web developer for 2 years (at sevenedge.com), doing mostly Actionscript and Drupal ( :dry: ) development. Quit a month ago, got sick of working in marketing and started getting bored of web technology. So right now I'm "unemployed"! I'm working on my software engineering skills (learn different languages, become a better programmer etc) and am trying to work my way into some open-source projects I admire. I'll do that and a bit of freelance work to keep some income and am looking for a good software engineering course for next year.

I hate talking to people about it though. Since I'm not doing anything "official" a lot of them seem to think I'm lazy and made a bad choice. :shrug:

Indirect Tax Manager for a major oil company.

However, just been made redundant, but with a chance of still finding another role

within the same office doing other related shit for the man.

Graphic Designer/Illustrator for a small non profit educational organization. I also do some freelance painting/design/illustration on the side, but that's been slow lately.

thats pretty cool, do you have website?

one dream job for me would be to design london underground posters, the ones that say "please dont.." and the underground art ones (most of which are by frasier muggeridge)

Archived