IGNORED

flying lotus-shit is so over hyped

Guest yikes

Guest Backson

Perhaps if flying lotus would make something in a slightly different genre, move up the tempo, i reckon that would be really nice to hear. Would also be interested in hearing less sampling also.

hmmm, no

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest David R James

Perhaps if flying lotus would make something in a slightly different genre, move up the tempo, i reckon that would be really nice to hear. Would also be interested in hearing less sampling also.

hmmm, no

Don't tell me, you did the same and it ruined your career?

Guest tht tne

i finally got ready to hop on the flying lotus bandwagon and acquired some of his music but i just don't like it... starting to lose faith in watmm's idols (cf. vhs head)

Los Angeles is incredible.

Cosmogramma has good moments but is a bit too schizo / self-indulgent

Pattern + Grid World is fairly run-of-the-mill coming from him

I like the guy, and I can't emphasize enough, Los Angeles is quite the album

1. yes, this shit is recorded distractingly loud

2. do flylo and prefuse really sound that similar? i say no. i mean they are both crossover "idm"/hip-hop artists but that's really it. production-wise they could not be more opposite, i think.

2a. has prefuse really been good lately? i haven't felt much since the One Word Extinguisher era.

3. YES THIS IS STILL TOO LOUD. RESET EP AS WELL

4. there are some great flylo tracks though. the tune "Quakes" on the Warp 2010 sampler is awesome. and i have not heard the whole Gonjasufi album but the track "Ancestors" is also good. i can't really get into the Los Angeles album; it just doesn't seem that interesting to me? is it worth checking out Cosmogramma or no? i guess i wouldn't mind hearing a Thom Yorke song once in a while…

1983 sounds pretty good otherwise everything else I've heard so far feels like I'm stuck in an Adult Swim bumper/ 9-11 conspiracy beats

in general I kind of have a problem with songs that are overcompressed/are atmospheric but sort of force it on you

9-11 conspiracy beats

what? :cerious:

plays Flying Lotus over out-of-context clips of George Bush/Obama w/ grainy jpegs of pyramids and stuff (Wingdings font looks like two towers and airplane or something)

Guest Backson

"And if you have an aversion to anything which is hailed as cool or trendy then you need to get out on the roads with a head full of THC more often and see just what you're missing out on. Few things in life feel as good as feeling like you're the absolute shit, and if nothing else, Gonjasufi makes me feel just like that."

abso-fucking nailed it.

I've said it once and I'll say it again, anti-hipsters are just as pathetic and hipsters.

"And if you have an aversion to anything which is hailed as cool or trendy then you need to get out on the roads with a head full of THC more often and see just what you're missing out on. Few things in life feel as good as feeling like you're the absolute shit, and if nothing else, Gonjasufi makes me feel just like that."

abso-fucking nailed it.

I've said it once and I'll say it again, anti-hipsters are just as pathetic and hipsters.

so happiness in life is directly related to balancing the hate for hipsterdom and the love for something hipsters like. but all the while, what makes someone a hjpster is constantly evolving. no wonder why i am never happy.

:happy:

Well... FlyLo was really consistant until he put out Pattern + Grid World... that shit is kinda wack.

Yeah, I don't know what the hell happened with Pattern + Grid World, sounds like a load of half-finished stuff from the back of his hard drive for the most part. His other releases have all been pretty good though.

As for Prefuse, saw him live last Sunday - never realised just how much pure noise is chopped up in his later stuff, sounded quite extreme in places. I do with he'd let his tracks play for more than a minute though, listening to his later albums is like having ADHD.

Archived