IGNORED

flying lotus-shit is so over hyped

Guest yikes

I absolutely love Flying Lotus. However, I did feel that Pattern + Grid World was definitely lacking, aside from 'kill your coworkers.'

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Backson

Sure he's overhyped, but so are many other great artists.

there is a sad truth to this. hype kills gems. too much context sours music.

flylo is alright, but can someone show me some more "traditional" hip hop he's done? I bet I would like that sort of thing alot more.

I think I liked him more when I first heard 1983. I have lost a little bit of interest to be honest. But I did enjoy Pattern+Grid World quite a bit.

If you were to strip all of the vinyl crackles and atmospheric noise from his tunes, they would be awful... I think he's decent at making tunes but he doesn't have a hundredth the musical ability of his progenitor Prefuse.

I mostly agree with this...especially the second (bolded) part. But I still enjoy it for the most part.

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

The complaints that his mastered tracks are waaay too loud and sounds like his mixing ritual is just runing everything into the red red on analog gear is understandable. That is pretty disappointing. He is over hyped I would agree but I love his stuff.

There is a lot of great songs on Cosmogramma by the way I don't know how you could disagree. Los Angelos has some greats as well.

Guest disparaissant

not a fan either, and i do think he's quite overhyped, but i can see why people like him. i just don't see why some people like him as much as they do.

not a fan either, and i do think he's quite overhyped, but i can see why people like him. i just don't see why some people like him as much as they do.

because he's american and more accessible and not as extreme(talented) as other better english IDM artists. And by accessible in this country I mean he is "hip hop"

Guest Glass Plate

I feel like his first album was his best(1983) and each album after that got progressively worse. All good aspects of his production are borrowed, and now he's trying to do more and more of his own "flavor" aka rely on the fact that he's a Coltrane, and it doesn't work, he totally sucks. (and yes, is just way too high all the time)

because he's american and more accessible and not as extreme(talented) as other better english IDM artists. And by accessible in this country I mean he is "hip hop"

if your coming from a hip hop background then I suppose he's quite innovative but if your looking at him from the perspective from your average wattmer then he's just an above average downtempo/glitch hop artist

dont get me wrong his music is great. i dont know where all this 'overhype' talk is coming from because i havent witnessed it.. i also havent met anyone in real like who listens to the music.. same story i have with something like AC though.

los angeles is probably my favorite, as long as i am listening to it all the way through and dont have to change the volume when the songs come on randomly on shuffle.

the music is definitely overhyped, but so is pretty much any good music post 2007 or so. the "beat scene" based out of LA is obviously quite hip in some circles. it's the same sort of hype that fuels dubstep releases and minimal and all that... or so it seems to me. fortunately i love the sounds so i don't really mind it at all. and it seems that flying lotus has a pretty heavy Warp influence going on, and respect for the so called "masters," which bumps him up for me. then again i'm completely outside of the "hype/hip" circle 99% of the time so this whole paragraph could seem completely clueless.

and regarding Prefuse 73 vs. Flying Lotus, I would probably take Prefuse but that's because his music is more technical and there seems to be an infinite amount of detail to explore with every listen. Flying Lotus gets the "feeling" down better though (that is, the head nod type feeling), which is a big part of the draw. two completely different and unique styles, though. both brilliant.

I've always considered Prefuse to be a "great" alongside the likes of Richard D James and so on, taking into account all the music he's made that I've heard. Ampexian doesn't get enough respect... just felt I would slip that in.

i like his music a lot. but he's not among my favorites. i really enjoy a lot of his remixes that i've heard (ie. mike bigga, lil wayne, madvillian, andrea, etc.).

also it's quite fun to be hip and enjoy cool sounding music sometimes.

for instance, Gonjasufi made one of the coolest sounding albums (ever) this year and most people wrote it off as hipster/hype bullshit when it may actually just be a really good album.

i read a review on rateyourmusic that summed it up really well

"I can't think of a single moment from this album that I would not relish the thought of turning up very loud, blazing up to, winding the car windows down and driving somewhere where people will damned well take notice of my impeccable, dangerously cool musical tastes. The sheer number of ways in which A Sufi and a Killer is cool, the sheer number of styles, among them rock, disco, hip-hop, garage, bangra and flamenco, in which it manages to be effortlessly cool within is bewildering. Add to that a production ethic that always sounds home made whilst consistently challenging the open-mindedness of your speaker system and the fact that most of this album will probably be pillaged by an ageing Quentin Tarantino in years to come in an attempt to soundtrack a movie or two and you have a cocktail for perhaps the coolest record that this decade will see. And if you have an aversion to anything which is hailed as cool or trendy then you need to get out on the roads with a head full of THC more often and see just what you're missing out on. Few things in life feel as good as feeling like you're the absolute shit, and if nothing else, Gonjasufi makes me feel just like that."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-nZ3vIWrVo

Who's better than FlyLo and isn't getting the hype they deserve?

Cosmogramma is probably the best WATMM friendly album of the year for me.

for instance, Gonjasufi made one of the coolest sounding albums (ever) this year and most people wrote it off as hipster/hype bullshit when it may actually just be a really good album.

I agree with this, too. The Gaslamp Killer rules.

Dimlite has some beats for sure, but he's not better than FlyLo imo. Flying Lotus has been really consistant, while I only really like a handful of Dimlite beats... But I really like that handful.

Well... FlyLo was really consistant until he put out Pattern + Grid World... that shit is kinda wack.

Guest David R James

Perhaps if flying lotus would make something in a slightly different genre, move up the tempo, i reckon that would be really nice to hear. Would also be interested in hearing less sampling also.

Archived