IGNORED

Elder Scrolls V SKYRIM !! !!-11-11

skotosa

• Replies 559
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Couldn't get into Masseffect. I own both and I couldn't even finish either one.

On the other hand. More news about TES V's Game Engine.

"Seeing lots of speculation about #tesv game engine. It's brand new... and it's spectacular!"

AND MUSIC BY WISP IN SKYRIM!!!

I made that last bit up. Tee Hee :)

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

Everyone I know that's played the Oblivion games has mentioned that they have seen some weird glitches.

But everyone that I have talked to about it loved the games, I couldn't get into them. Seemed to wonky/bland/unpolished/mediocre art direction y to me. I have heard plenty about all the positives of the series though.

Haha, that's great.

I'm really looking forward to ME3. I put like 70 hours into ME2, and really enjoyed it. I played through it twice just so I could beat it again on the hardest setting.

I never got into the Elder Scrolls games because they seemed like they were too big of a time investment.

• 1 month later...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-01-18-tesv-skyrim-powered-by-creation-engine

Besthesda has named the new engine underpinning The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. It is known as the Creation Engine.

Let's tackle the graphics first.

"The big things for us were to draw a lot of stuff in the distance so we have a really sophisticated level of detail, more so than what we've had in the past for how things stream in and how detail gets added to them as they get closer to the camera," Skyrim's creative director Todd Howard told Game Informer.

Not only will landscapes look more convincing far away, but now shadows will be cast on "everything" to make scenery more believable up close.

The result? A mountainous Nordic landscape promising snow-touched rocky vistas, ice cold brooks, fierce green forests and clear, azure blue skies. There's even a clever snow engine that tries to realistically blanket objects with sporadic fluffy white downpours.

The foliage system used for Oblivion, SpeedTree, has been dumped. Bethesda's own tools mean artists can quickly build and animate any kind of tree they want. Trees in Skyrim even offer clues about the weather conditions; a leaning copse hints at a windy traverse ahead, for instance.

A big component of the Creation Engine is Radiant AI. This hopes to suspend further the illusion that Skyrim is a living, breathing world - with or without you there. In Oblivion, citizens had five or six daily commands to follow; in Skyrim the population is far more complex and goes about daily work such as jobs at mills, farms, mines and more. People gather raw materials, refine them and then deliver them to a bustling trade hub.

We've mentioned before that engaging an NPC in conversation in Skyrim no longer pauses the scene, but we now also know the camera angle will stay as you had it, and it be possible to pan around, observing the scene from afar while prattling merrily on.

AI will develop feelings towards your hero. A friend, for example, won't mind terribly if you barge into their house during the night - they may even offer you a bed. They'll also be more lenient should you sneeze and accidentally swipe your great bastard sword around their apothecary and smash all their stock.

None of that could be managed without the new Havok Behavior middleware tools.

"We looked at a bunch of [animation solutions], and this is about the tippy-top state-of-the-art stuff out there," said Howard. "I think we're the first real big game to use it."

In practice, Havok's snazzy toolset allows the developer to quickly make new animations and then test them out. With the laborious processes removed, the designers have more time to fine-tune their virtual people. The results encompass little touches like heroes struggling to get free of a spider web or other environmental hazards, as well as a more believable transition between walking, jogging and running.

More importantly, it means Bethesda can really nit-pick with combat animations, which in turn makes visual clues about when to swing and when to block easier to judge.

"We definitely have made a significant jump in how it plays [in third person perspective]," promises Howard.

Sounds good!

here's a link to screens of the game:

i think the character models still look pretty crappy. hopefully they improved on animation. that floaty walk that they do in oblivion sucks.

am I the only one who played Redguard ?

i played a demo of redguard long before i was familiar with bethesda. i think i got frustrated by the controls. how was it overall?

will skyrim come with a TES construction set?

I was actually a beta tester for it, back in 1998. It was nice (open world, in 1998!) but badly executed in terms of marketing, it was during the 3dfx vs Direct3D era of games. Heck, it was never patched :facepalm: . Even if it had mouse control it would have bombed. The staff was still great, very passionned people.

• 1 month later...

YOU GAIN YOUR POWERS FROM KILLING THE DRAGONS?!?!?!

OOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHH MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3kQk-lgFRI

• 7 months later...

Been playing Oblivion again over the weekend.

A few silly things happen like Horses walking up flights of stairs, and then a baddy got stuck between a door and wall and I couldn't kill him.

But overall its a pretty great game. Once I figured out how to change the difficulty setting (I was playing it for ages set quite high and it was getting frustrating, i've dropped it down a bit now and I actually made loads of progress now).

So yeah... looking forward to this new game. I tend to buy 1-2 games a year for my console and play them a bit at a time over a long period rather than rape it to death for a fortnight solid then part exchange it like a lot of people do.

http://www.elderscrolls.com/

3 demos now online

But overall its a pretty great game. Once I figured out how to change the difficulty setting (I was playing it for ages set quite high and it was getting frustrating, i've dropped it down a bit now and I actually made loads of progress now).

It's probably cheating and I'll probably pay for it later but on my second playthrough (my previous 20ish hour save got lost when my PS3 died) I haven't slept and thus remained at Level 1. I've found it a hell of a lot easier this time round particularly with closing the Oblivion gates, and thus far less frustrating.

EDIT: Epic Tastic, grab a popcorn !

Archived