IGNORED

Jeff Mills

Guest fiznuthian

Guest fiznuthian

saw this video posted on another forum,

in response to a video posted of a couple dudes making a 909 beat.

thought it was awesome!

i love his tunes and i've always heard Jeff Mills is amazing live but damn...

the man is serious about techno.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKeVmmfeSPI&feature=related

now i've never programmed the roland 909 so tell me,

is he programming those drums on the fly like i think he is?

edit: gotta say it makes me laugh seeing all those people jump around like loonies

probably because i do the same when i go to shows :x

Guest fiznuthian

This is what he has been doing for years, Djing along side a 909, at one point he used a mc303

that's really cool, i assume most reserve their 909 for studio use rather than playing it out?

it looks like he's doing really quick pattern edits while its rolling along..

and the synths that finally come in at 6:00 just kill!

Guest David R James

This is what he has been doing for years, Djing along side a 909, at one point he used a mc303

that's really cool, i assume most reserve their 909 for studio use rather than playing it out?

it looks like he's doing really quick pattern edits while its rolling along..

and the synths that finally come in at 6:00 just kill!

I don't think there is any synths involved, it's probably just from records, i dunno not sure. Plastikman has/does performances with just 909 or 808, that's not so good IMO

saw this video posted on another forum,

in response to a video posted of a couple dudes making a 909 beat.

thought it was awesome!

i love his tunes and i've always heard Jeff Mills is amazing live but damn...

the man is serious about techno.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKeVmmfeSPI&feature=related

now i've never programmed the roland 909 so tell me,

is he programming those drums on the fly like i think he is?

edit: gotta say it makes me laugh seeing all those people jump around like loonies

probably because i do the same when i go to shows :x

he uses the 909 like no other, he's like the jimi hendrix of the 909. i love his music!!

another great take:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo77GR9XOSc&feature=related

his face at 4:07 is priceless

yeah jeff mills is great, really enjoyed that but i think that much of a 909 drum machine (or 808) would drive me mad, id like to see him to that but with different sounds or editing the sounds to make them less harsh (but thats also part of appeal) feel like listerning to liquid rooms now, haven' listened to it in a while.

Guest Hanratty

yeah jeff mills is great, really enjoyed that but i think that much of a 909 drum machine (or 808) would drive me mad, id like to see him to that but with different sounds or editing the sounds to make them less harsh (but thats also part of appeal) feel like listerning to liquid rooms now, haven' listened to it in a while.

i agree that it would drive me mad too. but still, it takes a lot of nerve to just jam out on a 909 in front of a room full of people who want to dance. bet he feels like jimi hendrix on a solo.

i gotta be the douche, damn, this is garbage!

it only takes watching some good dj scratching a vinyl or even tim exile making stupid live tunes to get to the conclusion that this "909 jam bullshit" doesn't have any value at all.

sorry

it only takes watching some good dj scratching a vinyl or even tim exile making stupid live tunes to get to the conclusion that this "909 jam bullshit" doesn't have any value at all.

sorry

now you are being sarcastic :rolleyes:

909 jamming can be a lot of fun :happy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wU9P3RIqXE

it only takes watching some good dj scratching a vinyl or even tim exile making stupid live tunes to get to the conclusion that this "jeff mills 909 jam bullshit" doesn't have any value at all.

sorry

fixed

• 3 years later...

Still bummed out that the only time I had the chance to see him (at Dour this summer) he stopped his set after 20 minutes because of some moronic drunk Belgian throwing a plastic beer cup at him. Those 20 minutes were great though... Hope to see him again soon.

Retro seems a bit misplaced for someone like Mills though, did he ever stop using that 909 in his livesets? Not sure, I'm not a huge follower :)

Still bummed out that the only time I had the chance to see him (at Dour this summer) he stopped his set after 20 minutes because of some moronic drunk Belgian throwing a plastic beer cup at him. Those 20 minutes were great though... Hope to see him again soon.

Retro seems a bit misplaced for someone like Mills though, did he ever stop using that 909 in his livesets? Not sure, I'm not a huge follower :)

lol I remember that, I was there too. Set was promising :sad:

Archived