IGNORED

Vocal Samples

wahrk

34 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like vocal samples?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GScJ7ILfvts

Couldn't find a video, but Four Tet's "Angel Echoes" is an example as well.

Then there's Vibert:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmoFNya6P4Q

Be they original or acquired, straight or chopped, sung or spoken, from songs, movies, or the news, how do you feel about vocal samples in your electronic music?

Feel free to post other examples as well.

Guest Drahken

Luke Vibert - Pretty Old Acid Music is another more recent one with a great vocal element.

I think it all depends on the track and to what end the vocal sample is being used for. I find a good vocal sample can add a 'natural' quality to a track, even if the words behind the voice are inaudible. In fact some of my favorites uses of vocal samples are the ones that are just strange sounds, rather than words, like breathing, sighing, or other weird vocal noises. Being able to distinguish something human within a track can really add a lot.

That said there are plenty of instances where a vocal sample ruins an otherwise good track, where the artist throws in something recognizable like a movie quote just to be hip.

I'll go ahead and say that his frequent use of vocal samples is the most prominent reason I am not a Vibert fan.

I think that they can most certainly be used tastefully, but most of the time they aren't.

Sometimes, for instance that Duck Sauce track should totally have sampled more vox from either of the previous versions rather than adding their own.

That song is the shitest piece of shitty shit Ive ever heard. It has no music merit to it what so ever. Its like the riverside track. A really crappy primitive melody line hidden behind famous faces, vocal sample and a name.

I'll go ahead and say that his frequent use of vocal samples is the most prominent reason I am not a Vibert fan.

I think that they can most certainly be used tastefully, but most of the time they aren't.

You dont like Vibert? You crazy bro. I love his samples.

EDIT: +1 for Old Acid Music, a fantastic example of sample use at its best. Probably my favourite track of We Hear You. (303+samples= :braindance: )

EDIT: +1 for Old Acid Music, a fantastic example of sample use at its best. Probably my favourite track of We Hear You. (303+samples= :braindance: )

:shrug: The way he uses them really gets in the way of the music for me most of the time. I'll gladly take your recommendations for an album that might turn me around though. We Hear You?

If you're solely basing this assumption of Vibert on "I Love Acid", then you need a kick in the arse. IMO that is his worst track and I cant understand why it gets so much press.

We Hear You is a pretty solid album, Id definitely recommend listening to it.

Here something for you to mull over

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYW9IzM1_6s

I was gonna post Pretty Old Acid but its not on youtube :sad:

If you're solely basing this assumption of Vibert on "I Love Acid", then you need a kick in the arse. IMO that is his worst track and I cant understand why it gets so much press.

We Hear You is a pretty solid album, Id definitely recommend listening to it.

Here something for you to mull over

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYW9IzM1_6s

I was gonna post Pretty Old Acid but its not on youtube :sad:

I've listened to others, but I'll pick up We Hear You and see what I think.

"I Love Acid" is fucking terrible.

That track was pretty cool until the "Go DJ!" part. :dry:

Guest tht tne

i don't really like vibert either but i can't quite put my finger on why

i was going to use vibert as a reason for liking vocal samples. i'm not a big fan but his sampling can be very inspiring.

i also think if you removed 90% of the vocal loops from certain 90s electronic records it would really improve them. "prime audio soup."

What you mean by a "vocal sample" could completely change the direction of the thread. Björk's Medulla is completely made out of voice.

Micro or macro sampling?

What you mean by a "vocal sample" could completely change the direction of the thread. Björk's Medulla is completely made out of voice.

Micro or macro sampling?

But Björk is a vocally focused artist. Vocals are normally present in her songs that were recorded for that song in order to be the primary feature. Same deal with BT whenever his songs have vocals. That's kind of a different ballpark to me.

In before shitstorm for mentioning BT.

Guest Coalbucket PI

This is a bit hard to form an opinion on, it's like asking if I like hi hats. Probably, but it depends on the track, how its used etc...

I think little snippets of vocals can often give a track some life. The 'baby' sample on Toro Y Moi's Fax Shadow springs to mind.

Micro or macro sampling?

But Björk is a vocally focused artist. Vocals are normally present in her songs that were recorded for that song in order to be the primary feature. Same deal with BT whenever his songs have vocals. That's kind of a different ballpark to me.

In before shitstorm for mentioning BT.

Right. So your thread title is a bit vague innit?

Vhs Head sampling is not the same as Vibert sampling. Like Braintree said, Micro or Macro. I dont really see VHS as sampling because he's using the samples more like patches or pads or something. Like an instrument.

The amount of Vibert hatin' makes me :sad:

the books have my favorite samples. when they sing along to "i feel a collective rumbling in america . . .i've lost my house" i get chills and sometimes get teary.

Guest Calx Sherbet

MY LIFE IN THE BUSH OF GHOSTS

:shrug: The way he uses them really gets in the way of the music for me most of the time. I'll gladly take your recommendations for an album that might turn me around though. We Hear You?

no, but any amen andrews or wagon christ should get your groove going

sometimes vocal samples are great, other times they are very obnoxious

Archived