IGNORED

whats a good sample editor to use with ableton

Even if you don't want to use it for anything else, Renoise has a pretty nice sample editor. As a matter of fact, you can probably just download the demo version and use the sample editor for free. So check that out.

Ableton's built in sample editing is shockingly inadequate for doing anything really surgical, Fruity loops even has a better Wave Editor now, actually even Reason does too with the addition of the silly 'Record' addon

if you are on PC i highly recommend Adobe Audition otherwise known as Cooledit Pro, or Sony Soundforge

if you are on a Mac check out Bias Peak or the freeware Audacity (which imo kind of sucks for surgical wave editing, peak is better)

Audacity lacks critical detailing in wave editing, but it's user interface is remarkably easy and simple to grasp. As far a free-ware goes, it's not a bad option and gets the job done imo.

Guest futuregirlfriend

Peter Quistgard suggested cool edit to me back in school and I've just stuck with it. I saw that Audition was coming out on the mac, are they basically just porting version 3 over or can we expect to see some new features and a new version on windows in the future too, anyone know? Oh actually I'll just Google... Yes.

why don't you try Cooledit pro, honestly Auditon is not really that different, it's pretty much identical with a new skin. Cooledits been cracked since around 97, as Futuregirlfriend said, "Peter Quistgard suggested cool edit to me back in school and I've just stuck with it." which btw future high-five on the reference

"Peter Quistgard suggested cool edit to me back in school and I've just stuck with it." which btw future high-five on the reference

Was gonna do exactly the same thing too, gave me a geeky chuckle. I've stuck with that little bugger for over a decade and it's still the best wave editor I've used (especially for the tiny memory/storage footprint it has)

"Peter Quistgard suggested cool edit to me back in school and I've just stuck with it." which btw future high-five on the reference

Was gonna do exactly the same thing too, gave me a geeky chuckle. I've stuck with that little bugger for over a decade and it's still the best wave editor I've used (especially for the tiny memory/storage footprint it has)

And it's fast as hell. Unfortunately, Adobe bought it turned it into Adobe Audition and then later into Adobe Soundbooth which is what I'm stuck with now and even though it has some great filters, EQs and fade effects it's just extremely slow even on really powerful computers.

Ableton's built in sample editing is shockingly inadequate for doing anything really surgical

I don't understand why people are saying this? You can edit down to like the smallest fucking size 1/128ths maybe...

ctrl + 1 makes the grid smaller people......

Ableton's built in sample editing is shockingly inadequate for doing anything really surgical

I don't understand why people are saying this? You can edit down to like the smallest fucking size 1/128ths maybe...

ctrl + 1 makes the grid smaller people......

That's all fine and dandy, but any piano roll can do that. It's the approach that's kinda clunky. It's really just the automation for me more than anything else though. I'm sure I've said it a million times, but I am embarrassed at most of the DAW industry for sucking at automation. Pretty tired of complaining though. Ableton's a sick program. It just needs a few more things. So does every program out there though.

DAWs are nowhere near their peak. They're still growing in approach and capability and will be for a while. There are still several interface hurdles to overcome before we're really in it, but for now it's just get whatever works best for you and use it.

blah blah blah.

At any rate. I also use cool edit for my sample editing needs. Have for over 10 years now. In fact, I think I still have the same copy. Peter Quistgard certainly pointed me in the right direction however many years ago.

Archived