IGNORED

Bibio - Mind Bokeh

Guest viscosity

Guest ruiagnelo

I'm surprised at all the disappointment... is it really THAT different sounding than Ambivalence Ave??

can't you see that?

i understood that right from the sampler lol

edit: hear that

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Fatcaesar

Why haitin?`be lovin!

I think the album sounds a bit like Ambivalance avenue, like a follow up.. kinda like chris clark's series

Guest reyde_espana

overall the album is weak in songs...

sounds awesome... but i already ripped it apart for a bibio mix cd

favs are:

Feminine eyes (WAYYYY TOO SHORT)

Excuses

Pretentious

Saint Christopher (even though it never goes anywhere really)

K is for kelson

take off your shirt is cool but a bit too on the nose for me

Guest blacks

Take of your shirt is just gross honestly, AC/DC power chords and all, but the rest of the album around it is enjoyable, especially the first two and last two tracks. As per usual with Bibio though, it's just all over the board, lots to like, some to not, but the stuff which I don't like might very well be the entire reason someone else listens to Bibio at all so who am I to blame him.

i was really looking forward to this album, especially after hearing the Excuses youtube.

however, upon hearing it i was so very very disappointed in how bland and forgettable it is.

compared to Ambivalence Avenue, it really does pale.

for a start, he seems to have dropped his trademark 'vintage' recording aesthetic, which was part of the reason why i was drawn to his music in the first place.

along with the rest of the album seriously sounding like it could rival Moby's Play for being used in quirky advertisements for cars, that have bouncing coloured balls flying around san francisco, it's just a big disappointment.

i had every confidence in the album, i really did. i was really looking forward to it. and have been honestly disappointed by it.

i was really looking forward to this album, especially after hearing the Excuses youtube.

however, upon hearing it i was so very very disappointed in how bland and forgettable it is.

compared to Ambivalence Avenue, it really does pale.

for a start, he seems to have dropped his trademark 'vintage' recording aesthetic, which was part of the reason why i was drawn to his music in the first place.

along with the rest of the album seriously sounding like it could rival Moby's Play for being used in quirky advertisements for cars, that have bouncing coloured balls flying around san francisco, it's just a big disappointment.

i had every confidence in the album, i really did. i was really looking forward to it. and have been honestly disappointed by it.

agreed

this album sucks. I want to like it, I have Amb Ave on vinyl and really enjoyed vignetting the compost, but this sounds like it was made to knock off bibio. My thinking is after receiving critical success on indie websites with AA, he (and maybe warp) thought he could really get big if he went even more poppy. What we get is a plastic version of AA, many different styles and tracks, but ultimately so inconsistent the whole thing feels calculated and phony.

I like this album but it will take me several listens to see how I really feel. I really dig a lot of the songs but then again, when I think about Apple and the Tooth and how much that blew me away, I'm kinda sad that not much seems to replicate that feeling on this new album. I think the problem is the songs got longer but not much happens, he basically just vamps/solos for a while and the song ends.

I like this album but it will take me several listens to see how I really feel. I really dig a lot of the songs but then again, when I think about Apple and the Tooth and how much that blew me away, I'm kinda sad that not much seems to replicate that feeling on this new album. I think the problem is the songs got longer but not much happens, he basically just vamps/solos for a while and the song ends.

to be fair, The Apple & The Tooth was a remix album...so you can't really compare them at all

to be fair, The Apple & The Tooth was a remix album...so you can't really compare them at all

Oh sorry, I only meant the first 4 new tracks on Apple and the Tooth. Just nice, tight and focused songs that flowed into each other.

stop singing ffs!

Why? This is probably the most pleasantly surprising and developed aspect of Bibio ever since he started singing on "Hand Cranked".

he seems to have dropped his trademark 'vintage' recording aesthetic,

Hey. That's not true. Listen to 'Light sleep'.

i just listened to it again...very digital sounding mastering. my point still stands

Guest have lost touch

i just listened to it again...very digital sounding mastering. my point still stands

I think it's a mix of different recording techniques from what I'm hearing - you can still hear those trademark treatments on his vocals in a lot of tracks, and other certain elements. He probably had the opportunity to use different tools on this one with the success of AA. Regarding the vocals - the first time I heard Abberiw years back, I remembered thinking I wanted to hear more vocals. It took a couple of records to get here, but the instrumental sections are just as evenly balanced--so it's a logical progression AFAIC, and makes complete sense with the progression of his work.

Well, I doubt he did mastering himself.

im not a huge bibio fan to begin with, but this album sounds meh to me. its almost like there are too many different styles he is trying to explore? i dont know. im going to give it a bunch more listens but nothing really grabbed me off the bat like amb ave did.

Surprised how some people seem to going nuts over this. To me the tracks are either really convoluted (can't bear this glitch-disco hybrid, sounds like a mess) or else they're ridiculously sickly sweet. Man, i had to reach for a bucket when "K is for Kelson" came on. Give me Fi, Handcranked or Vignetting over this stuff any day.

Guest reyde_espana

the sound is still NO DOUBT vintage sounding...

remember bibio first records to digital and then processes through tape... so maybe he just didnt exaggerate it as much

i really like when he goes hi fi to contrast the LOfi... makes your ears stand up

Archived